Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kyle Rittenhouse to sue Biden for slander

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kyle Rittenhouse to sue Biden for slander

    I hope Rittenhouse's attorney takes this phony race-baiting white supremacist racist POC to the cleaners.

    An attorney representing alleged Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse has announced plans to sue Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and his campaign for libel on his client's behalf after Biden shared a video that appears to suggest the teenager is a White supremacist.

    Lin Wood, Rittenhouse’s civil attorney, confirmed to Fox News on Wednesday his intention to sue the former vice president and his campaign on his client’s behalf, just hours after Biden posted the 50-second clip to Twitter.
    ...

    After Biden’s video was released on Wednesday, Wood announced his intention to sue and demanded a retraction. “He falsely accused a 17-year old boy & prejudiced Kyle’s legal rights,” he wrote in one of a series of tweets

    The Anti-Defamation League previously told CBS News it had examined Rittenhouse's social media activity and found no sign that he was associated with any extremist movements.

    Wood later added that he had added two attorneys to his legal team “in pursuing libel case for Kyle Rittenhouse against Joe Biden & his campaign.”

    (emphasis mine)
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  • #2
    Hope he wins

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I hope Rittenhouse's attorney takes this phony race-baiting white supremacist racist POC to the cleaners.
      Lol, good, I wondered if he would after I saw that part of the clip (together with the fact that IIRC one of his lawyers is the one that's gotten Nick Sandmann several settlements for libel/defamation from CNN and WaPo, with several more still in the works).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

        Lol, good, I wondered if he would after I saw that part of the clip (together with the fact that IIRC one of his lawyers is the one that's gotten Nick Sandmann several settlements for libel/defamation from CNN and WaPo, with several more still in the works).
        Perhaps if the suit is too steep for Biden, he and his crackhead son can solicit money from their Russian oligarch buddies.
        "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

        Comment


        • #5
          Watch the ad from the link. In it Chris Wallace is asking "Are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups... as we saw in Kenosha..." (ellipses are out of laziness, not to distort the meaning). Rittenhouse's legal team has already called him a member of a militia as part of his defense.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why should Trump condemn militia groups?

            Comment


            • #7
              While I think Rittenhouse is innocent (clear self defence) I think he would do better without Lin Wood. (Barnes Law would be better)
              "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
              -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

              "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

              Comment


              • #8
                Calling people "racist" and "white supremacist" seems to be the go-to default accusation of the Democrats.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                  Watch the ad from the link. In it Chris Wallace is asking "Are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups... as we saw in Kenosha..." (ellipses are out of laziness, not to distort the meaning). Rittenhouse's legal team has already called him a member of a militia as part of his defense.
                  That might be relevant if the tweet by Biden containing the ad also said 'white supremacists and militia groups'. But it does not. It directly says only 'white supremacists', and contains said ad showing Rittenhouse.



                  Also unsure why Christ Wallace asked Trump to condemn militia groups - that would be encroaching on attacking the constitution.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                    That might be relevant if the tweet by Biden containing the ad also said 'white supremacists and militia groups'. But it does not. It directly says only 'white supremacists', and contains said ad showing Rittenhouse.



                    Also unsure why Christ Wallace asked Trump to condemn militia groups - that would be encroaching on attacking the constitution.
                    The tweet says "There's no other way to put it: the President of the United States refused to disavow white supremacists in the debate last night." Are you suggesting that all of the people in the video, including Trump I guess since he got the most screen time, also have a case?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

                      The tweet says "There's no other way to put it: the President of the United States refused to disavow white supremacists in the debate last night." Are you suggesting that all of the people in the video, including Trump I guess since he got the most screen time, also have a case?
                      Anyone in the ad that isn't a white supremacist, certainly (IIRC it's a little harder for public elected figures like Trump to have a case). Like the Proud Boys. And of course Rittenhouse.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                        Anyone in the ad that isn't a white supremacist, certainly (IIRC it's a little harder for public elected figures like Trump to have a case). Like the Proud Boys. And of course Rittenhouse.
                        According to Google the legal standard for defamation is


                        To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things: 1) a false statement purporting to be fact; 2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person; 3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and 4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.


                        Biden's actual words were true as were Wallace's (Rittenhouse is an admitted militia member) so 1) seems like a real stretch. 4) does as well as other sources have directly accused Rittenhouse of being a white supremacist and he didn't sue them.

                        Consider that Trump claimed in the debate that Hunter was dishonorably discharged from the military. That seems a lot closer to meeting the standard above and I doubt he is going to sue.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

                          The tweet says "There's no other way to put it: the President of the United States refused to disavow white supremacists in the debate last night." Are you suggesting that all of the people in the video, including Trump I guess since he got the most screen time, also have a case?
                          your hypocrisy and that person"s who tweeted is showing. The person who tweeted must not have watched the same Debate I did Trump did indeed disavow white supremacists. Proud boys aren't white supremacists they have a afro cuban leader idiot Get real the one who refused to disavow violence is Biden who refused and continues to refuse to disavow the violence from the leftist Antifa and BLM until you stop your hypocrisy here and call on Biden and the Democrats to call out and disavow the left violence like Trump has for the past 3 years done for the Right groups you have nothing we need to hear.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                            your hypocrisy and that person"s who tweeted is showing. The person who tweeted must not have watched the same Debate I did Trump did indeed disavow white supremacists. Proud boys aren't white supremacists they have a afro cuban leader idiot Get real the one who refused to disavow violence is Biden who refused and continues to refuse to disavow the violence from the leftist Antifa and BLM until you stop your hypocrisy here and call on Biden and the Democrats to call out and disavow the left violence like Trump has for the past 3 years done for the Right groups you have nothing we need to hear.
                            The only group Trump "disavowed" (he didn't) was the Proud Boys. So if they aren't white supremacists then no, he didn't disavow white supremacy.

                            And the lawsuit involves the tweet and the embedded ad, not the debate.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

                              According to Google the legal standard for defamation is


                              To prove prima facie defamation, a plaintiff must show four things: 1) a false statement purporting to be fact; 2) publication or communication of that statement to a third person; 3) fault amounting to at least negligence; and 4) damages, or some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.


                              Biden's actual words were true as were Wallace's (Rittenhouse is an admitted militia member) so 1) seems like a real stretch. 4) does as well as other sources have directly accused Rittenhouse of being a white supremacist and he didn't sue them.

                              Consider that Trump claimed in the debate that Hunter was dishonorably discharged from the military. That seems a lot closer to meeting the standard above and I doubt he is going to sue.
                              There is an exception for
                              1. Personal opinions are not defamation.
                              2. Public figures. A public figure can't sue for defamation unless he can prove malice

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seer, Today, 11:32 AM
                              2 responses
                              18 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Started by rogue06, Today, 09:11 AM
                              0 responses
                              17 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by rogue06, Today, 07:28 AM
                              1 response
                              29 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 06:44 AM
                              13 responses
                              43 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by seer, Today, 06:17 AM
                              9 responses
                              49 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mossrose  
                              Working...
                              X