Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Presidential Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And in political discussions, people always assume that the undecided voters agree with them.
    If there are any undecided, I think the SOP is undecided break for the incumbent.

Joe's future is AOC. That's a scary proposition for sane people.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Trump was completely out of control. Only a highly partisan moderator that favored him could have avoided interrupting him more times that Biden. In fact. Wallace didn't interrupt Trump enough - Trump simply had no self control of any sort. Trump last night was an embarrassment to the entire country.
      From my earlier post: "How liberals probably see it: Trump is loud, boorish, and rude, and Biden is calm and in control."

Boy, did I call that one! If only I could pick lottery numbers with such stunning accuracy.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

From my earlier post: "How liberals probably see it: Trump is loud, boorish, and rude, and Biden is calm and in control."

Boy, did I call that one! If only I could pick lottery numbers with such stunning accuracy.
        Noted liberals Chris Christie and Rush Limbaugh saw Trump the same way.

Comment

That's like predicting that liberals who visit the Grand Canyon will say that it's really wide and deep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That's like predicting that liberals who visit the Grand Canyon will say that it's really wide and deep.
            Better analogy: like predicting that a racist will not enjoy the company of a black man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
              "I think he misspoke in response to Chris Wallace's comment. I think he should correct it. If he doesn't correct it, I guess he didn't misspeak." - Senator Tim Scott, Republican, South Carolina

If Trump doesn't correct, retract, or clarify his statement, I think we can conclude that he has lost the support of America's only black Senator.
              There's also Cory Booker and Kamala Harris. Do you mean only Republican black Senator?

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                There's also Cory Booker and Kamala Harris. Do you mean only Republican black Senator?
                Yes. Thanks for the correction.
                "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  An argument that I have presented multiple times. It set a bar so low that merely by showing up he exceeded it.

Still, neither one looked good last night.
                  I disagree. That Trump was bombastic, rude, unconventional is nothing new; everyone knew this about him, and this is why the silent majority is openly afraid to say they support him. But Trump looked strong and decisive in a situation where everyone could see the moderator was partial towards a much weaker opponent who couldn't do anything do defend himself without Wallace's help. Maybe that's just my own bias way of seeing it, but that's how I saw it, and I suspect that's how the silent majority afraid to say they support him also saw it.

Comment

What was there to call MM? It is simply a true statement wrt Trump. It's not a matter of who is looking. As for Biden, he was as under control as anyone could be when faced with such an belligerent a$$, but I would not describe him as 'calm'. Trump's strategy appears to have been to set the standard so low, and to be so obnoxious and disgusting that no one could be declared a 'winner'. And to perhaps make sure no-one would be able to stomach watching the follow-on debates.

His calls for people to interfere and intimidate people at the polls, for the 'proud boys' to 'stand by' - in other words to await further orders or to be ready to step in if things get out of control, was stuff right out of an autocrats playbook. He is purposefully undermining the core of our democracy - faith in a fair and honest election - and you are right there with him helping him do it.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The point that you will never be able to grasp is that the MSM NEVER asks Democrats about the Communist Party repeatedly backing their candidates or ask them to disown the violent leftist mobs working on their behalf.

Woooooosh! Red Herring, changing the subject and dodging the bullet.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

What was there to call MM?
                        That liberals wouldn't give Trump an ounce of credit no matter how well he did in the debate.

Comment

That liberals wouldn't give Trump an ounce of credit no matter how well he did in the debate.
                          There was no credit to give. He was constantly lying, constantly interrupting, he was just completely out of control. A man without either conscience or intellect.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I disagree. That Trump was bombastic, rude, unconventional is nothing new; everyone knew this about him, and this is why the silent majority is openly afraid to say they support him. But Trump looked strong and decisive in a situation where everyone could see the moderator was partial towards a much weaker opponent who couldn't do anything do defend himself without Wallace's help. Maybe that's just my own bias way of seeing it, but that's how I saw it, and I suspect that's how the silent majority afraid to say they support him also saw it.

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/donald-trump-proud-boys-debate-1068580/

What Did Trump Mean When He Told Proud Boys to ‘Stand Back and Stand By’?

During the debate, President Trump essentially gave a white supremacist group a shoutout

Asked to condemn white supremacists on Tuesday night, President Trump instead named a militant white supremacist group and issued a call to arms.

Moderator Chris Wallace asked Donald Trump if he was willing to “condemn white supremacists and militia groups.” He referenced cities such as Kenosha and Portland, hotbeds of civil unrest where much of the violence been initiated by far-right extremists and militia members.

At first, Trump appeared to be receptive to condemning far-right extremists, but when pressed by Sen. Joe Biden and Wallace, he didn’t exactly do that:

Are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities, as we saw in Kenosha and in Portland?

Sure I’m prepared to do that. (Biden interjects: Do it.) But I would say, I would say, almost everything I see is from the left wing, not the right wing.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

There was no credit to give.
                              Thank you for continuing to prove my point.

Comment

There was no credit to give. He was constantly lying, constantly interrupting, he was just completely out of control. A man without either conscience or intellect.
                                That could have described either candidate. Trump may have interrupted more often but he didn't stoop to childish name calling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment