Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Presidential Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Biden was what I expected. He was mostly coherent even if his answers went nowhere, and he was on the edge of losing it a couple of times but managed to recover (partly thanks to Wallace coming to his rescue). Trump was obviously prepared for Biden to be on his game and didn't make the mistake of treating him like a lightweight. From what I saw, Biden was on his heels the whole time, and while Trump landed some good shots, none of them were definitive.
    I agree Wallace rescued Biden a couple of times, especially when he was about to lose his cool. Did Wallace lean heavily in Biden's favor? Eh ... I'd say it was noticeable but not real heavy. I think Wallace would have helped Biden more if he was weaker.

So in the end, Trump looked strong, Biden looked cowed. That's what I took away from the bit I watched.
    I think most undecided voters should already be aware of that. IMO, Biden is someone who would be bowled over by an adversary. The odds are he's already being controlled by shadowy Leftist figures.

Comment

Oh, and I'll point out that Biden showed up. More false prognostication from the "Biden has dementia" crowed.

Forgot to add Trump also failed to unambiguously condemn white supremacy.
      Last edited by LiconaFan97; 09-29-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

And Biden clearly doesn't have dementia.
        Then you've obviously not known anyone who's had it.

Comment

And Biden clearly doesn't have dementia.
          My mother died from Alzheimers 10 years ago. She had good days and bad days. I've seen some rocky moments from Biden. Not tonight, but at other times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My mother died from Alzheimers 10 years ago. She had good days and bad days. I've seen some rocky moments from Biden. Not tonight, but at other times.
            My mother also passed away with dementia. Though obviously he's shown signs of it that are much more obvious at other times, I saw the signs of it even in this debate. The fact he was getting mercilessly bullied without his ability to verbally handle it is just one sign I saw. And again, without Wallace covering him when he was cornered, I suspect we would have saw much more pronounced signs of it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

My mother also passed away with dementia. Though obviously he's shown signs of it that are much more obvious at other times, I saw the signs of it even in this debate. The fact he was getting mercilessly bullied without his ability to verbally handle it is just one sign I saw. And again, without Wallace covering him when he was cornered, I suspect we would have saw much more pronounced signs of it.
              He may have some medication that helps him. And lots of ginseng and caffeine.

Comment

And Biden clearly doesn'thave dementia.
                Clearly? It wasn't a strong performance. There were a few moments where I thought Biden had mentally shutdown, unable to keep up with Trump, and Wallace had to jump in with a question, at which point Biden would raise his head and re-engage. He was clearly unable to think on his feet.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Then you've obviously not known anyone who's had it.
                  Two of my grandparents died from it. Well, I don't know what exactly killed my grandmother because she had a number of health issues later in life. But they were both increasingly out of it in the last several years.

Not exactly looking forward to my future barring a medical breakthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Clearly? It wasn't a strong performance. There were a few moments where I thought Biden had mentally shutdown, unable to keep up with Trump, and Wallace had to jump in with a question, at which point Biden would raise his head and re-engage. He was clearly unable to think on his feet.
                    You only watched 20 minutes.

Look, Biden has a stutter. That's not a secret. I don't know what extent of his speaking difficulties are due to that and what is due to old age but it's really unfair to not give him a little allowance. You write off so much of what Trump says due to him "not being a politician" even though he's been a CEO for probably as long as Biden has been in public life. Be a little forgiving.

Comment

There is a clip of that from a different angle. Biden said "I lost the lady" after the screen the question asker was on went blank due to a network interruption.
                      That would make perfect sense, especially given that the reporter fed him the next line that he was supposed to say

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

babylon-bee-broadcast-signal-accidentally-picks-up-angry-men-yelling-at-each-other.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

You only watched 20 minutes.

Look, Biden has a stutter. That's not a secret. I don't know what extent of his speaking difficulties are due to that and what is due to old age but it's really unfair to not give him a little allowance. You write off so much of what Trump says due to him "not being a politician" even though he's been a CEO for probably as long as Biden has been in public life. Be a little forgiving.
                            Biden "stutter" has never affected him like this.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Owens is right - because Wallace is on Biden's side. None of these "news" personalities can hide their preferences; they expose themselves by the questions they ask and don't ask.

Comment

I'm sure this played well with Trump's base but I don't see how it convinces any undecids to vote for him. And arguing with the moderator is not a good look.
                                I don't think there are any substantial number of undecided voters at this point.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment