Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Presidential Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Say what?
    It's the stupidest "excuse" I meant to say. By refusing to allow a quick and simple inspection that has zero consequences on the outcome of the debate (which they apparently initially agreed to do), translates to you clearly have something to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

ff? Is that you?
      They just keep coming out of the work-works don't they. It'll be interesting to see if they're still around after the election.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

They just keep coming out of the work-works don't they. It'll be interesting to see if they're still around after the election.
        I imagine that may well depend on the outcome.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

ff? Is that you?
          I think it's the trumpster as his hand is snaking down and getting a bit too close to the girls :+}

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's the stupidest "excuse" I meant to say. By refusing to allow a quick and simple inspection that has zero consequences on the outcome of the debate (which they apparently initially agreed to do), translates to you clearly have something to hide.
            I disagree as it plays into the clown's desire to distract and disrupt. Biden should hold fast and carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think it's possible Trump's group can give Biden a false sense of security. Let Biden think he can get audio-earpiece assistance ... and then block it.
              You can always let Joe borrow your shoe.

Comment

Biden's camp has to be hoping it goes better than this: Oh Geez, Biden On Teleprompter During Interview – Says “I lost that line” ... and apparently the reporter read him the line he was supposed to say
                There is a clip of that from a different angle. Biden said "I lost the lady" after the screen the question asker was on went blank due to a network interruption.

Comment

How I see it from the 20-minutes I watched (all I could stand): Typical substance for a presidential debate; more heat than light, as the saying goes. Trump is focusing on his record; Biden is focusing on... honestly, I'm not sure what.

Trump is very strong and in command; he's setting the tone and controlling the pace. Biden keeps trying to get shots in, but Trump just rolls right over him, in most cases not even acknowledging that Biden has spoken. There were a few moments when Biden was trying to answer a question, and Trump shut him down, redirecting Biden to a completely different topic mid-answer. Biden has been on the ropes several times, head down, eyes closed, seemingly unable to match Trump's unrelenting energy, but Wallace always seems to be there to bail him out with a lengthy question that gives Biden time to regroup. Biden just doesn't seem to have any pep, and his voice is very quiet compared to Trump's, so it is ridiculously easy for Trump to take control of the debate almost at will.

How liberals probably see it: Trump is loud, boorish, and rude, and Biden is calm and in control.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    How I see it from the 20-minutes I watched (all I could stand): Typical substance for a presidential debate; more heat than light, as the saying goes. Trump is focusing on his record; Biden is focusing on... honestly, I'm not sure what.

Trump is very strong and in command; he's setting the tone and controlling the pace. Biden keeps trying to get shots in, but Trump just rolls right over him, in most cases not even acknowledging that Biden has spoken. There were a few moments when Biden was trying to answer a question, and Trump shut him down, redirecting Biden to a completely different topic mid-answer. Biden has been on the ropes several times, head down, eyes closed, seemingly unable to match Trump's unrelenting energy, but Wallace always seems to be there to bail him out with a lengthy question that gives Biden time to regroup. Biden just doesn't seem to have any pep, and his voice is very quiet compared to Trump's, so it is ridiculously easy for Trump to take control of the debate almost at will.

How liberals probably see it: Trump is loud, boorish, and rude, and Biden is calm and in control.
                    Wallace is clearly carrying Biden's water, but i expected nothing different. Every time Biden gets cornered, Wallace comes to his defense. One thing is certain, Biden looks extremely weak because he looks like he's getting bullied and he can't handle it, so he needs Wallace to cover for him.

Comment

I'm sure this played well with Trump's base but I don't see how it convinces any undecids to vote for him. And arguing with the moderator is not a good look.

Comment

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard Trump suggest that he might not "accept" the election outcome if there is evidence of fraud, and he is insisting there already is evidence. That's the biggest thing to come out of this for me.

Otherwise, blech. A lot of he said-she said nonsense that will come back to bite both of them (like Biden claiming it was a "lie" that he ever called servicemen "stupid bastards." There is a video of it and I've seen it). I'm sure that goes both ways, though.

Nothing else really noteworthy. Biden did better than I thought he would, Trump about what I expected. No winner from an undecided standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
                          I'm sure this played well with Trump's base but I don't see how it convinces any undecids to vote for him. And arguing with the moderator is not a good look.
                          When the moderator is acting more like a debate participant than a moderator then I really don't know what else Trump is supposed to do. The moderator should ask the questions and then let the candidates challenge each other, he shouldn't be trying to challenge the candidates himself -- although he's only really challenging Trump; there were several times when Trump and Wallace were arguing, and Biden was just standing there looking lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            Nothing else really noteworthy. Biden did better than I thought he would, Trump about what I expected. No winner from an undecided standpoint.
                            Biden was what I expected. He was mostly coherent even if his answers went nowhere, and he was on the edge of losing it a couple of times but managed to recover (partly thanks to Wallace coming to his rescue). Trump was obviously prepared for Biden to be on his game and didn't make the mistake of treating him like a lightweight. From what I saw, Biden was on his heels the whole time, and while Trump landed some good shots, none of them were definitive.

So in the end, Trump looked strong, Biden looked cowed. That's what I took away from the bit I watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              When the moderator is acting more like a debate participant than a moderator then I really don't know what else Trump is supposed to do. The moderator should ask the questions and then let the candidates challenge each other, he shouldn't be trying to challenge the candidates himself -- although he's only really challenging Trump; there were several times when Trump and Wallace were arguing, and Biden was just standing there looking lost.
                              You're not supposed to argue with the debate moderator in front of the audience. I will concede that there were some times Wallace rescued Biden and there were some times he was overaccommodating to Trump. He was a terrible moderator for failing to maintain control almost right out the gate but arguing with the moderator is not how debates are supposed to work.

Trump flagrantly violated the rules repeatedly by interrupting Biden during the two minute answer time and Wallace even pointed it out I think twice though maybe more. I couldn't tell in the last instance but I think Trump denied agreeing to the rules based on Wallace's response (something along the lines of "youf campaign agreed to the rules").

And Biden clearly doesn't have dementia.

Comment

Oh, one more thing - Biden has a clever device that he uses often: He'll say "Here's the deal..." and it usually shut Trump up.

The term typically is used before someone offers a summation - and most people will pause to hear a summation because it is short. Like "Here's the deal, I don't want to go to the beach because it's too cold." But Biden will say that and then launch into a long-winded diatribe. Good debating technique but he overplayed it. It got annoying.

Comment