Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

First Presidential Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

The left has also been doing that for decades, especially in blue states.
    Did you see Biden's closing statement in the debate? This is a tough sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

I must admit, I did not watch it. So I don't know much about it. Just relayed what Ben Shapiro said about it.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I honestly don't know why everyone is saying Wallace did a poor job. He did what an establishment hack was there to do; provide cover -- deflect, change the subject, interrupt with a question, etc. -- for Biden if he got cornered.
        Wallace did as good a job as was possible. Given Trump's behavior, Wallace had no choice but to focus his moderation on Trump. You sound the some of the folks that get banned here for bad behavior and think the mods are 'biased against them'. If you don't give the other guy a chance to speak, if you don't answer the questions (or even let them be asked), if you don't follow any of the rules your team actually agreed to, you can expect to get 'moderated', and moderated often.

You complain about Black people not taking responsibility for their actions, trying to excuse bad behavior. Yet you think Trump should not be held liable for his completely inappropriate actions, for his violations of the rules his own team agreed to?

Think about it.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-01-2020, 02:07 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I must admit, I did not watch it. So I don't know much about it. Just relayed what Ben Shapiro said about it.
          Ok it wasn't his closing statement but this is what I was referring to.

Prepared to let people vote. You should go to Iwillvote.com. Decide how they're going to vote, when they're going to vote and what means by which they're going to vote. His own Homeland Security director, as well as the FBI director, says there's no evidence at all that mail-in ballots are a source of being manipulated and cheating. They said that. The fact is that they're going to be millions of people, because of COVID, that are going to be voting by mail-in ballots, like he does by the way. He sits behind the Resolute desk and sends his ballot to Florida, number one. Number two, we're going to make sure that those people who want to vote in person are able to vote because enough poll watchers are there to make sure they can socially distance, the polls are open on time and they'll pull stay open until the votes are counted. And this is all about trying to dissuade people from voting because he's trying to scare people into thinking that it's not gonna be legitimate. Show up and vote. You will determine the outcome of this election. Vote. Vote. Vote. If you're able to vote early in your state, vote early. If you're able to vote in person, vote in person. Vote whatever way is the best way for you because you will- He cannot stop you from being able to determine the outcome of this election. Whether or not when the votes are counted, and they're all counted, that will be accepted. If I win, that will be accepted.If I lose, it will be accepted. But, by the way, if, in fact, he says he's not sure what he's gonna accept, let me tell you something, it doesn't matter. Because if we get the votes, it’s going to be all over. He's going to go. He won’t stay in power. It won't happen. It won't happen. So vote. Just make sure you understand you have it in your control to determine what this country is going to look like the next four years. Is it going to change or are we gonna get four more years of these lies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Never mind that the Democrats have spent four years trying to undermine the public's faith in the election process by first of all falsely accusing the President of conspiring with Russia to win, and secondly, crying about how "unfair" the electoral college is. And now they're pushing for an untested voting system that is so deliberately broken that we're being told we may not know the outcome until weeks after the election takes place and may require the involvement of the Supreme Court.
            The important note to add there is that they're pushing for an untested system (and a system that is showing all sorts of problems on a much smaller scale) unnecessarily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

They and their lackeys (the media) have also spent four years insisting Trump is racist and won't denounce racism, yet he has done it over and over and over and over ... but they just ignore it and pretend it never happened.

This OAN video is amusing, to see how many times Trump has denounced white supermacist groups - and the media just spins their own reality.

https://www.oann.com/president-trump...-supremacists/
              Like when they were making a fuss about what's his name, some high profile white supremacist (I forget his name) endorsing Trump, and Trump emphatically denounced and disavowed him, yet the media turned it into a week long story saying, "So when will Trump denounce this guy?"
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

Indeed, the Democrats work hard every single election to get people that otherwise are not registered or that have transportation issues etc to get out and vote. And it is usually the Republicans that are found to be playing games trying to keep people (usually minorities BTW) from the poles through shady little games and intimidation.

The Republican line is always that democrats are cheating and bringing people to the poles that 'should not be allowed to vote'.

The Democrats regularly face the consequences of that mantra in the form of intimidation, dirty tricks (e.g. gerrymandering) and out and out fraud.

While I have been a lifelong republican, the reality is my party is usually the one trying to rig or otherwise manipulate the elections, and the party that actually fears getting everyone to the poles on election day.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Wallace did as good a job as was possible, given Trump's behavior, Wallace had no choice but to focus his moderation on Trump. You sound the some of the folks that get banned here for bad behavior and think the mods are 'biased against them'. If you don't give the other guy a chance to speak, if you don't answer the questions (or even let them be asked), if you don't follow any of the rules your team actually agreed to, you can expect to get 'moderated', and moderated often.

You complain about Black people not taking responsibility for their actions, trying to excuse bad behavior. Yet you think Trump should not be held liable for his completely inappropriate actions, for his violations of the rules his own team agreed to.

Think about it.
                  Biden also interrupted and Wallace didn't jump in like he did when Trump did it. But what I personally observed is when and how Wallace jumped in, and it was primarily when Biden was cornered. And debate "rules" don't apply to the harsh world outside. If Biden can't verbally fight his own battles against someone more aggressive and needs a third party to assist, then he fulfills the expectation of him by many that he's old, weak and feeble, and thus unqualified to be POTUS.

Comment

Like when they were making a fuss about what's his name, some high profile white supremacist (I forget his name) endorsing Trump, and Trump emphatically denounced and disavowed him, yet the media turned it into a week long story saying, "So when will Trump denounce this guy?"
                    And so now you are playing Trump's "I don't know who they are talking about" game.

It was David Duke - as if you didn't know. What a farce.

Comment

Perhaps Richard Spencer? I didn't watch the full embedded video but Trump denounced David Duke a zillion times in it, and the KKK.

Comment

• afb100120dAPR20201001055237.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Biden also interrupted and Wallace didn't jump in like he did when Trump did it. But what I personally observed is when and how Wallace jumped in, and it was primarily when Biden was cornered. And debate "rules" don't apply to the harsh world outside. If Biden can't verbally fight his own battles against someone more aggressive and needs a third party to assist, then he fulfills the expectation of him by many that he's old, weak and feeble, and thus unqualified to be POTUS.
                          Wallace jumped in when it was clear Trump was trying to filibuster Biden into silence. It's that simple. Over time Trump showed he would not be moderated and Biden had no choice but to interrupt or just speak over him. And in that Biden showed he was quite capable of 'fighting his own battles' as it were, but in doing so, on Trumps level, it just makes him part of the farce Trump turned it into. Perhaps you don't quite understand the difference between civilization and the wild, but generally these debates are supposed to be more representative of two people of high character and self control discussing their points of view in civilized setting, not two teenages hyped up on testosterone trying to prove who has the biggest cajones on the playground. And it was exactly the right thing for Biden to do to try NOT to be dragged down to Trump's level. And it is EXACTLY the job of the moderator to try to prevent that from happening, though with Trump it requires brute force rather than a civilized reprimand.

In summary, a debate is not supposed to be a 's***Show' as one commentator on cable put it. But that is what Trump brought to the table, and that is not what Biden, or any of us that have a modicum of decency, was prepared to participate in or wanted to see.

Comment

And least Trump's fantastical new clothes are accurately depicted.

Comment

It was David Duke...
                              That's right. Not a name I've committed to memory. I just remember liberals making a big flap after Trump denounced a white supremacist, and the media tried to claim that he didn't.

Comment

Wallace jumped in when it was clear Trump was trying to filibuster Biden into silence. It's that simple. Over time Trump showed he would not be moderated and Biden had no choice but to interrupt or just speak over him. And in that Biden showed he was quite capable of 'fighting his own battles' as it were, but in doing so, on Trumps level, it just makes him part of the farce Trump turned it into. Perhaps you don't quite understand the difference between civilization and the wild, but generally these debates are supposed to be more representative of two people of high character and self control discussing their points of view in civilized setting, not two teenages hyped up on testosterone trying to prove who has the biggest cajones on the playground. And it was exactly the right thing for Biden to do to try NOT to be dragged down to Trump's level. And it is EXACTLY the job of the moderator to try to prevent that from happening, though with Trump it requires brute force rather than a civilized reprimand.

In summary, a debate is not supposed to be a 's***Show' as one commentator on cable put it. But that is what Trump brought to the table, and that is not what Biden, or any of us that have a modicum of decency, was prepared to participate in or wanted to see.
                                Well, that isn't how I saw it, and so that's obviously where it's going have to stand.

You, with TDS that you've shown on this board since he was elected, will see it one way, and I'll see another -- Biden not being able to handle his own without third party as a clear sign of weakness. I think it's funny how even the pro-Biden MSM admits he was "bullied," I suppose without realizing how bad that sounds against Biden, not Trump. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this affects the opinion of voters (assuming Dems aren't going to try and subvert the election with cheating and/or obfuscation, which is a high possibility).

Comment