Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why This Election Will Revert To Violence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    Point to the part of his name which justifies this stupid claim.

The only reason you called him "black" was because he's a few shades darker than pasty white.
    Rather, he is black because he is Afro-Cuban (i.e. black and latino)

Comment

“Stand back, and stand by” is an invitation to terrorists to intimidate Democrats at the polls. POTUS drives you further towards fascism, with the full throated support of the Christian Right.

Only two generations ago, Americans crossed an ocean to flatten the cities of people of exactly that frame of mind.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        “Stand back, and stand by” is an invitation to terrorists to intimidate Democrats at the polls. POTUS drives you further towards fascism, with the full throated support of the Christian Right.

Only two generations ago, Americans crossed an ocean to flatten the cities of people of exactly that frame of mind.
        Yes I noted that when I watched the clip where, in response to Wallace' comments, Trump said "Proud Boys stand back and stand by" . To "stand by" can mean two different things; [i] to take no action, or [ii] to get ready in preparation for something.

Given the response from Tarrio and various other Proud Boys it was clearly interpreted as the latter. One of those Proud Boys who posted comments, according to an article, "describes himself as a “33rd Degree Proud Boy,” as well as a “right-wing death squad general,” an “ANTIFA Butcher,” a “Commie Killer” and a “BLM Skull Stomper" but according to seer and others this group has no leanings whatsoever towards neofascism!..

That individual's expression of his views also answers my question to seer as to what this group [should it ever gain any political power] would do to those who dissented or disagreed with its ideology [I use that word very loosely]. In fact the more I read of this group the more I see parallels with the post WW1 Freikorps and later the SA.

I also note from the same article that Tarrio "spent a year in federal prison for his part in a scheme to rebrand stolen diabetic test strip kits and sell them online."
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Oh and of course like the SS I suspect the Proud Boys and other like minded groups will be "patrolling" polling stations on November 3rd. There is nothing like intimidation to help in getting the vote result you want. Or of course you can simply rig the election.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Oh and of course like the SS I suspect the Proud Boys and other like minded groups will be "patrolling" polling stations on November 3rd. There is nothing like intimidation to help in getting the vote result you want. Or of course you can simply rig the election.
            You mean like what the Black Panthers did in 08?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

You mean like what the Black Panthers did in 08?
              I cut your link image because it produced a huge string.

That incident as been hyped and distorted over the past 12 years. https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/20...timidation.cnn

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I cut your link image because it produced a huge string.
                ????

That incident as been hyped and distorted over the past 12 years. https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/20...timidation.cnn
                Right but you get to compare the Proud boys with the SS, when in actuality it is the left in the cities that are acting like the Brown Shirts. You have no shame.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

????

Right but you get to compare the Proud boys with the SS, when in actuality it is the left in the cities that are acting like the Brown Shirts. You have no shame.
                  NEW YORK POLICE deliberately assaulted dozens of peaceful protesters, medics, and legal observers in one of this summer’s most violently repressed protests, trapping people in the streets past a city-imposed curfew before beating and arresting them in what Police Commissioner Dermot Shea described as “a plan which was executed nearly flawlessly.”

At least 236 people were arrested at the June 4 protest in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the Bronx, and at least 61 were injured by police, with some left with broken noses and fingers, lost teeth, and potential nerve damage, according to a detailed report released on Wednesday by Human Rights Watch. “The police response to the peaceful Mott Haven protest was intentional, planned, and unjustified,” the report concluded. “The protest was peaceful until the police responded with violence.”

More than 100 protesters have filed notice of their intent to sue the city over police actions that day, which are likely to cost the city millions in misconduct settlements and legal fees. The protest, one of hundreds that followed the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, came after New York Mayor Bill de Blasio declared an 8 p.m. curfew following looting in other parts of the city. Most people arrested in the Bronx were charged with curfew violations or unlawful assembly. Many were held overnight with no food, including several who were injured and received no medical attention. The majority of the charges have since been dismissed.

Human Rights Watch’s reconstruction of the events, based on about 100 interviews and the review of 155 videos by participants and bystanders, reveals that about 10 minutes before curfew, police deliberately corralled protesters using a controversial law enforcement tactic known as “kettling,” preventing people from dispersing. When the curfew kicked in, police moved into the trapped crowd, shoving people to the ground, pepper-spraying them, beating them with batons from the top of parked cars, and violently arresting dozens of them.

Police also detained several medics and legal observers, despite them having been declared exempt from the curfew by the mayor’s office. Police on the scene were supervised by two-dozen senior officers in white shirts, including the highest-ranking uniformed officer in the department, Chief of Police Terence Monahan, who can be seen in one video confronting one of the protest’s organizers. Monahan also played a key role in the police repression of a 2004 protest at the Republican National Convention, during which police similarly kettled and assaulted protesters, ultimately costing the city $36 million in misconduct settlements.

“This was just a completely unjustified, unnecessary, excessive use of force and brutal crackdown on peaceful protesters,” Ida Sawyer, acting crisis and conflict director at Human Rights Watch and a co-author of the report, told The Intercept. Monahan’s presence, she said, “really showed how the violence and abuse is encouraged and condoned by the NYPD and how the system really fuels impunity.”

“If the top brass is leading this, then what message does that send to all of the officers below him?” she added. “It really just epitomizes how police officers are rewarded for abuse.”

“They were basically doing collective punishment on us,” Andom Ghebreghiorgis, a protester and former congressional candidate, told The Intercept. “And they were doing it in a way that really didn’t give anyone the opportunity to escape it even if they happened to not be part of the protest.”

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/30/...police-report/
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

First, absentee voting has had issues.

Second, absentee voting involves an already registered, extant voter requesting a ballot, with verification of who they are. The mail voting in question involves mass sending out of ballots to everyone on the voter roster. That includes dead people, people who have since moved, etc., with no verifications.
                    That is not how it works, at least not in Maryland. They send out a form that you mail back that shows you how to request a ballot and contains a form you fill out if you want a ballot. Then you respond requesting a ballot. Then when you get the actual ballot you vote and return it, in person or by mail, to the appropriate place. The only difference between this and a typical absentee ballot is that you receive a prompt that tells you how to execute the process. To 'fake' this, you'd have to go steal these absentee prompts from the various mailboxes to which they've been sent and then find the pertinent information for that specific voter, fill it out, mail it back, then somehow harvest the resulting ballots and fill them out, all without raising the eyebrows of the hundreds of thousands of voters you would have to do this to to be effective, not to mention where are you going to find the manpower to fill all these ballot requests out and to go harvest the resulting ballots, fill them out etc.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

NEW YORK POLICE deliberately assaulted dozens of peaceful protesters, medics, and legal observers in one of this summer’s most violently repressed protests, trapping people in the streets past a city-imposed curfew before beating and arresting them in what Police Commissioner Dermot Shea described as “a plan which was executed nearly flawlessly.”
                      That has nothing to do with what I said, I asked you which side is doing the majority of looting and burning of cities. Hint, it is not right leaning groups like the Proud Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

So if you and the Dems believe Trump is using the postmaster to cheat the election by obstructing mail-in ballots, why are you and the Dems pushing so hard for mail-in ballots this election when it is not necessary to do so? I'm trying to find a semblance of logic there.
                        They're not "pushing so hard" for it. They know many use it and will use it particularly during this COVID time, and want it to be available and honest, despite Trump's efforts to gut it.
                        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

That has nothing to do with what I said, I asked you which side is doing the majority of looting and burning of cities. Hint, it is not right leaning groups like the Proud Boys.
                          It has everything to do with the way excessive force is being used against peaceful protests. Contrary to your hysterical posts not all BLM protests are violent but even those that are peaceful are the recipients of excessive force from the police.

You appear to live in a world of goodies and baddies. Your side are all goodies of course even the neo-fascists while the opposition are all baddies. That is not generally the way mature adults respond to complex situations.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It has everything to do with the way excessive force is being used against peaceful protests. Contrary to your hysterical posts not all BLM protests are violent but even those that are peaceful are the recipients of excessive force from the police.
                            Nonsense, the excessive force, even mentioned in your own link, happened after the riots of previous nights. And there wasn't excessive force in the majority of cities - that is why it all got out of control.

You appear to live in a world of goodies and baddies. Your side are all goodies of course even the neo-fascists while the opposition are all baddies. That is not generally the way mature adults respond to complex situations.
                            No I'm looking at the facts, the vast majority of violence, burning, looting, etc... is being done by the left.

Comment

Nonsense, the excessive force, even mentioned in your own link, happened after the riots of previous nights.
                              Those in the article were peacefully demonstrating.

No I'm looking at the facts, the vast majority of violence, burning, looting, etc... is being done by the left.
                              You never consider that there are opportunists on both sides fuelling this, do you?

For you the extreme right [in all its guises] that go to these areas are all simply decent citizens either protesting their viewpoint or protecting other decent citizens and their property, while the wicked Leftists are doing all the damage and exhibiting all the violence.

You do know what sort of mindset that represents, don't you? I'd also point out that many ex military individuals found the Freikorps and the SA very appealing to their views.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Those in the article were peacefully demonstrating.
                                After previous riots. Perhaps they were over zealous because they wanted to prevent more destruction? And remember New York is a Democrat city.

You never consider that there are opportunists on both sides fuelling this, do you?

For you the extreme right [in all its guises] that go to these areas are all simply decent citizens either protesting their viewpoint or protecting other decent citizens and their property, while the wicked Leftists are doing all the damage and exhibiting all the violence.
                                I have no problem with peaceful protests by either side, but it is a fact that the left are the ones burning down buildings, rioting and looting. And why you are denying facts is beyond me.

Last edited by seer; 10-02-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment