Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why did Trump conceal his tax records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance is what you get with good accountants.
    Tax avoidance can lead to Tax evasion.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

And? Accelerating can lead to speeding.

Comment

Just like the paying of taxes can lead to tax evasion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And everybody who has ever filled out an income tax return has engaged in some manner of tax avoidance through one legal deduction or another. So are you suggesting that every single tax filer in the US should therefore be suspected of tax evasion?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And everybody who has ever filled out an income tax return has engaged in some manner of tax avoidance through one legal deduction or another. So are you suggesting that every single tax filer in the US should therefore be suspected of tax evasion?
            Tax avoidance in the millions can lead to Tax evasion.

The issue here is Trump's billions of dollars, which may no longer exist, and likely there all on paper now an in his off shore accounts.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Tax avoidance in the millions can lead to Tax evasion.
              Tax avoidance in any amount can lead to tax evasion if one claims more deductions than they are legally entitled to.

But despite all the whooping and hollering from liberals, the headline should read: "Trump uses legal deductions to reduce his tax burden just like everybody else who files taxes".

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Why would Trump try to conceal his taxes?
                • Because paying less tax than a minimum wage worker doesn't look good
                • Because making constant huge business losses doesn't look good
                • Because tax evasion and fraud doesn't look good
                • Because huge outstanding loans doesn't look good
                All of the above.
                A very succinct reply. However, do not expect the indoctrinated to agree with you.

I suspect that if Trump enacted his infamous comment about shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, we would find contributors offering extenuating circumstances for his actions.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

A very succinct reply. However, do not expect the indoctrinated to agree with you.

I suspect that if Trump enacted his infamous comment about shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, we would find contributors offering extenuating circumstances for his actions.
                  As I said. Democrats are going to use any republican tax return against them. They are going to look for any molehill they can make into a mountain of manufactured outrage. At this point, it's really a question of why would any republican presidential candidate release their tax returns. Harry Reid has shown that democrats are willing to blatantly lie about a republicans taxes. On top of that, the NYT and Rachel Maddow are willing to rely on people (likely) breaking the law to get tax returns. I say hold tax returns back, and let the left lie and lawbreak over something that is not a requirement for president.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

As I said. Democrats are going to use any republican tax return against them. They are going to look for any molehill they can make into a mountain of manufactured outrage. At this point, it's really a question of why would any republican presidential candidate release their tax returns. Harry Reid has shown that democrats are willing to blatantly lie about a republicans taxes. On top of that, the NYT and Rachel Maddow are willing to rely on people (likely) breaking the law to get tax returns. I say hold tax returns back, and let the left lie and lawbreak over something that is not a requirement for president.
                    Politics is a dirty game isn't it? I did read somewhere that it had become a sort of tradition for Presidents to release their tax details since Nixon's were leaked. However, I am prepared to be corrected on that point. Although I do wonder though why any nationally appointed official should be reluctant to make public their financial dealings to those who elect them. If there is nothing to hide wherein lies the issue? Transparency does [or at least should] go hand in hand with public appointment, Caesar's wife etc.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Politics is a dirty game isn't it? I did read somewhere that it had become a sort of tradition for Presidents to release their tax details since Nixon's were leaked. However, I am prepared to be corrected on that point. Although I do wonder though why any nationally appointed official should be reluctant to make public their financial dealings to those who elect them. If there is nothing to hide wherein lies the issue? Transparency does [or at least should] go hand in hand with public appointment, Caesar's wife etc.
                      You are right, politics are dirty. Hence why I said the best bet is to simply refuse to release them, regardless of what's in them. Then the democrats can lie (like Harry Reid) or resort to illegal means to get them. It's a risk management strategy. Released Tax Returns have the same negative information as illegally obtained ones. So, the risk of exposure for either one is the same. On the other hand, not releasing them means POTENTIALLY never seeing the mountains out of Molehills, it also means that you can focus on the immoral or illegal actions asked for/demanded by the other side to obtain them.

Comment

You are right, politics are dirty.
                        Indeed.

Hence why I said the best bet is to simply refuse to release them, regardless of what's in them.
                        Yet all that succeeds in achieving is for the other side to allege there is something to hide.

Then the democrats can lie (like Harry Reid) or resort to illegal means to get them. It's a risk management strategy. Released Tax Returns have the same negative information as illegally obtained ones. So, the risk of exposure for either one is the same. On the other hand, not releasing them means POTENTIALLY never seeing the mountains out of Molehills, it also means that you can focus on the immoral or illegal actions asked for/demanded by the other side to obtain them.
                        Are you suggesting that if this was a Democrat president who had withheld his tax information that the Republicans would not be engaging in precisely the same dirty tricks? I recall the term that Nixon's supporters used for their exploits. Wasn't it something to do with rodents and procreation?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Indeed.

Yet all that succeeds in achieving is for the other side to allege there is something to hide.

Are you suggesting that if this was a Democrat president who had withheld his tax information that the Republicans would not be engaging in precisely the same dirty tricks? I recall the term that Nixon's supporters used for their exploits. Wasn't it something to do with rodents and procreation?
                          Did I say anything about what republicans would do?

The democrats will lie/distort/manufacture outrage at the tax returns regardless. They kept manufacturing outrage towards Romney on his tax rate (13.9%) even though it was entirely legitimate. They lied about the tax returns he didn't release.

Again, as I said. It becomes a smarter move to simply not release them at all, and let the democrats resort to libel, slander, and other illegal means to attain them. On the plus side, if it doesn't get out, there's no extra outrage. If it does get out, you face just what you would've faced otherwise regardless of whether you actually did anything wrong or not.
                          Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 09-29-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Did I say anything about what republicans would do?
                            I posed the question and you have acknowledged that politics is a dirty business.

The democrats will lie/distort/manufacture outrage at the tax returns regardless. They kept manufacturing outrage towards Romney on his tax rate (13.9%) even though it was entirely legitimate. They lied about the tax returns he didn't release.

Again, as I said. It becomes a smarter move to simply not release them at all, and let the democrats resort to libel, slander, and other illegal means to attain them. On the plus side, if it doesn't get out, there's no extra outrage. If it does get out, you face just what you would've faced otherwise regardless of whether you actually did anything wrong or not.
                            And I am quite sure that were the tables turned, and it was Democrat incumbent in Trump's situation, the Republicans would be doing precisely the same thing.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I posed the question and you have acknowledged that politics is a dirty business.
                              It is.

And I am quite sure that were the tables turned, and it was Democrat incumbent in Trump's situation, the Republicans would be doing precisely the same thing.
                              You are free to assert that all you want. It doesn't change what democrats have done.

Comment

It is.

You are free to assert that all you want. It doesn't change what democrats have done.
                                Oh stop being so sanctimonious. The Republicans [given their history] are hardly innocent of similar practices.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment