Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's taxes leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
    It's obviously illegal to deduct personal beauty treatments as a business expense for a real estate developer. Come on.
    Are you certain? Well then, I'm sure the IRS will have held him accountable for such obviously illegal deductions. Have they?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ump-taxes.html

The Times obtained Donald Trump’s tax information extending over more than two decades, revealing struggling properties, vast write-offs, an audit battle and hundreds of millions in debt coming due.

Donald J. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency. In his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

He had paid no income taxes at all in 10 of the previous 15 years — largely because he reported losing much more money than he made.

“The Apprentice,” along with the licensing and endorsement deals that flowed from his expanding celebrity, brought Mr. Trump a total of $427.4 million, The Times’s analysis of the records found. He invested much of that in a collection of businesses, mostly golf courses, that in the years since have steadily devoured cash — much as the money he secretly received from his father financed a spree of quixotic overspending that led to his collapse in the early 1990s.

In fact, those public filings offer a distorted picture of his financial state, since they simply report revenue, not profit. In 2018, for example, Mr. Trump announced in his disclosure that he had made at least $434.9 million. The tax records deliver a very different portrait of his bottom line: $47.4 million in losses.

Tax records do not have the specificity to evaluate the legitimacy of every business expense Mr. Trump claims to reduce his taxable income — for instance, without any explanation in his returns, the general and administrative expenses at his Bedminster golf club in New Jersey increased fivefold from 2016 to 2017. And he has previously bragged that his ability to get by without paying taxes “makes me smart,” as he said in 2016. But the returns, by his own account, undercut his claims of financial acumen, showing that he is simply pouring more money into many businesses than he is taking out.

Most of Mr. Trump’s core enterprises — from his constellation of golf courses to his conservative-magnet hotel in Washington — report losing millions, if not tens of millions, of dollars year after year.

His revenue from “The Apprentice” and from licensing deals is drying up, and several years ago he sold nearly all the stocks that now might have helped him plug holes in his struggling properties.

The tax audit looms.

And within the next four years, more than $300 million in loans — obligations for which he is personally responsible — will come due.

I know I know "the failing New York Times." If this turns out to be bogus no one will lose more respect for them than me.
      :yawn: this is so 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Are you certain? Well then, I'm sure the IRS will have held him accountable for such obviously illegal deductions. Have they?
        It is obviously illegal. Why hasn't the IRS gone after him for it? You tell me. Audit enforcement has been dropping for years.

As to your Biden post, it can't both be the case that Biden is a "cheat" for taking advantage of the tax system and Trump is "smart" for doing so. Let me know whether they're both cheats or both smart and we can go from there.

Comment

It is obviously illegal.
          Is it? You sure? Can you cite the tax code or legal precedent to support this assertion?

As to your Biden post, it can't both be the case that Biden is a "cheat" for taking advantage of the tax system and Trump is "smart" for doing so. Let me know whether they're both cheats or both smart and we can go from there.
          I never said Biden is a cheat, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the left who is only taking issue with Trump doing it.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-28-2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Is it? You sure? Can you cite the tax code or legal precedent to support this assertion?
            Hair care is obviously a personal expense for a real estate developer.

I never said Biden is a cheat, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the left who is only taking issue with Trump doing it.
            [/quote]

Trump is a tax cheat, so no hypocrisy to point that out. But if you want to talk hypocrisy take a look at Trump's old tweets criticizing Obama for paying only 20% tax rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              So you don't think he lied to the IRD about having massive business losses that meant he didn't need to pay tax? Do you then think he lied about his business successes to the public? It can't really be both. Either on the whole his businesses made money, meaning he should have paid taxes, or they on the whole lost money, meaning he wasn't good at business.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence at all that this actually occurred. We have Trump saying he donated his salary, multiple times. We do not appear to have any receipts whatsoever of the government receiving this money. He pretends to donate his salary to specific government departments for specific issues, however what actually happens to donated monies is they go into a generalized fund in Treasury, not to specific items (remember the Constitution gives Congress the Power of the Purse, so Congress, not random citizens making donations, has to decide what money goes to what parts of government!), so at least that part of the story is a lie (or lack of knowledge) on Trump's part. Treasury has failed to respond to requests for information about whether Trump's donations were received by them. If Trump had indeed donated the money it seems unlikely his own government officials would block the release of an acknowledgement that the money from him had been received, so it seems most likely that Trump never donated any money and that his government officials are then hiding this fact for him.

Trump has a long history of lying about donating money. The "charitable" foundation that bore his name, the Trump Foundation, was ordered shut last year by a judge on the grounds it was a scam and didn't actually donate money to charity and Trump was fined $2m and banned from running charities. There seems no reason to believe his latest lies about donating his salary to charity, as he's never been truthful about charity money in the past.
              Starlight, the federal government does accept donations of money and land from individuals. Each agency has specific rules about how to accept and account for such donations.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Hair care is obviously a personal expense for a real estate developer.
                Trump was also a TV personality for 14-years on The Apprentice. Hair care that is directly related to a performer's job, for example work done by a hairstylist specifically for the purpose of appearing on camera, can be written off as a business expense.

Comment

Trump was also a TV personality for 14-years on The Apprentice. Hair care that is directly related to a performer's job, for example work done by a hairstylist specifically for the purpose of appearing on camera, can be written off as a business expense.
                  Obviously CBS would cover those expenses while he was involved with the apprentice.

Comment

Obviously CBS would cover those expenses while he was involved with the apprentice.
                    Maybe, maybe not. You are heaping speculation on top of speculation to reach your pre-determined conclusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Maybe, maybe not. You are heaping speculation on top of speculation to reach your pre-determined conclusion.
                      You've got to be kidding. Here's the list of makeup credits for the apprentice from IMDB.
                      Kathy Santiago ... makeup artist (87 episodes, 2009-2017)
                      Ruth Fernandez ... makeup artist / key makeup artist (53 episodes, 2008-2012)
                      Christopher Ritchey ... hair stylist / key hair stylist (39 episodes, 2010-2012)
                      Janis Lozano ... makeup artist (31 episodes, 2004)
                      Adele Fass ... makeup artist (20 episodes, 2009-2015)
                      Raymond Rosario ... hair stylist (20 episodes, 2009-2015)
                      Kimmi Hendrix ... key hair stylist (15 episodes, 2011-2013)
                      Joel Mendenhall ... key makeup artist (13 episodes, 2008)
                      Lisa Hayes ... key makeup artist (13 episodes, 2011-2013)
                      Ann-Marie Oliver ... makeup artist (11 episodes, 2010)
                      Tonia Green ... personal makeup: Arnold Schwarzenegger (7 episodes, 2017)
                      Naima Jamal ... personal makeup artist to Lisa Leslie (7 episodes, 2017)
                      Donald Francis ... hair stylist: celebrity (6 episodes, 2008)
                      Johnny Maalouf ... hair stylist: celebrity (6 episodes, 2008)
                      Sharon Sinclair ... makeup artist: Donald Trump / hair stylist: Donald Trump / key hair stylist / key makeup artist (6 episodes, 2008)
                      Alexa Rodulfo ... makeup stylist: Ivanka Trump / makeup stylist: Ms. Trump (2 episodes, 2008)
                      Michael Silva ... hair stylist: celebrity (1 episode, 2008)
                      Justin St. Clair ... celebrity makeup (1 episode, 2008)
                      Stella Kae ... makeup artist (1 episode, 2010)
                      Ashley Pulumbo ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2010)
                      Lacey Redway ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2010)
                      Vanessa Elese ... personal makeup artist (1 episode, 2013)
                      Devin Shayla Morales ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2015)
                      Kimberly Boyenger ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2017)

Comment

• Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

You've got to be kidding. Here's the list of makeup credits for the apprentice from IMDB.
                        Kathy Santiago ... makeup artist (87 episodes, 2009-2017)
                        Ruth Fernandez ... makeup artist / key makeup artist (53 episodes, 2008-2012)
                        Christopher Ritchey ... hair stylist / key hair stylist (39 episodes, 2010-2012)
                        Janis Lozano ... makeup artist (31 episodes, 2004)
                        Adele Fass ... makeup artist (20 episodes, 2009-2015)
                        Raymond Rosario ... hair stylist (20 episodes, 2009-2015)
                        Kimmi Hendrix ... key hair stylist (15 episodes, 2011-2013)
                        Joel Mendenhall ... key makeup artist (13 episodes, 2008)
                        Lisa Hayes ... key makeup artist (13 episodes, 2011-2013)
                        Ann-Marie Oliver ... makeup artist (11 episodes, 2010)
                        Tonia Green ... personal makeup: Arnold Schwarzenegger (7 episodes, 2017)
                        Naima Jamal ... personal makeup artist to Lisa Leslie (7 episodes, 2017)
                        Donald Francis ... hair stylist: celebrity (6 episodes, 2008)
                        Johnny Maalouf ... hair stylist: celebrity (6 episodes, 2008)
                        Sharon Sinclair ... makeup artist: Donald Trump / hair stylist: Donald Trump / key hair stylist / key makeup artist (6 episodes, 2008)
                        Alexa Rodulfo ... makeup stylist: Ivanka Trump / makeup stylist: Ms. Trump (2 episodes, 2008)
                        Michael Silva ... hair stylist: celebrity (1 episode, 2008)
                        Justin St. Clair ... celebrity makeup (1 episode, 2008)
                        Stella Kae ... makeup artist (1 episode, 2010)
                        Ashley Pulumbo ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2010)
                        Lacey Redway ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2010)
                        Vanessa Elese ... personal makeup artist (1 episode, 2013)
                        Devin Shayla Morales ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2015)
                        Kimberly Boyenger ... hair stylist (1 episode, 2017)
                        You realize that doesn't show/prove that CBS paid for them, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

They are his tax returns, a legal reliable source for the accusations. The fact that his son is now forced to testify in the tax case in New York against Trump is legal legitimate issue.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/judge-orders-eric-trump-sit-ny-attorney-general-deposition-n1240871

Judge orders Eric Trump to sit for N.Y. attorney general deposition before the election

A New York state judge on Wednesday ordered Eric Trump to answer questions under oath within the next few weeks as part of the New York attorney general's civil fraud investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices.

Trump, who has been running the company since his father, Donald Trump, was elected president, had sought to have his deposition delayed until after the Nov. 3 election, citing his "extreme travel schedule and related unavailability between now and the election" and the need "to avoid the use of his deposition attendance for political purposes."

The prosecutor's office fought the delay, noting that investigators have been trying to interview him for months and that he'd backed out of a scheduled deposition in July.

State Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron sided with Attorney General Letitia James' office, ruling that neither her office "nor this court is bound by timelines of the national election."

The Supreme Court is New York's general trial court. That means Eric Trump could still appeal, because there are two courts higher than the Supreme Court.

In a statement after the ruling, Eric Trump said he would sit for the interview "as scheduled."

"The New York Attorney General has called my father an 'illegitimate' president and pledged to take him down while she was running for office," he said. "Her actions since demonstrate a continued political vendetta and attempt to interfere with the upcoming election. That said, since I previously agreed to appear for an interview, I will do so as scheduled."

© Copyright Original Source

. . . start a thread and deal with Biden.
                          They are not a reliable source, you have no source.

The Senate Committee has already turned over it's report on Joey to the Justice Department for criminal referral. Bad Joey, bad.

All I gotta do is wait. So does Hunter.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You realize that doesn't show/prove that CBS paid for them, right?
                            Yes it does but you can have the last word if it's just going to be some variation on "I doubt it."

Comment

Yes it does but you can have the last word if it's just going to be some variation on "I doubt it."
                              What do you expect when your argument is consistently "Well Trump obviously did <speculation without evidence>"

Comment

You've got to be kidding.
                                I am not. Haircare received specifically for a stage, film, or television performance is tax deductable provided the performer paid for it himself. Unless you have something better than a list of credits from IMDb (which I'm not sure what you're trying to prove there), we have no reason to think that Trump didn't pay for it out of his own pocket.

Comment