Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not to mention that "qualified" is not synonymous with "perfect". She's human, and she's going to make mistake, and a small error in three days of questioning is hardly a disqualifying event.
    I didn't say that she's unqualified, just that the headline "SC judge rammed through doesn't know first amendment." won't play well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

If you want to establish that at least one evangelical pastor has called for the killing of LGBT, you've made the point.

If you want to generalize that killing LGBT is a common evangelical point-of-view, you've got a long way to go.
      I would never even TRY to argue that second sentence; it's obviously false.

With that said, the hard-line anti-LGBT evangelical view has been constant for decades (if not longer), albeit in small numbers.

Comment

And when Harris was asked about it by Stephen Colbert on his talk show, she inauthentically laughed it off and said, "It was just a debate!" implying that her criticism wasn't genuine.
        Or that any thing she says during a debate should not be taken seriously.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• You could have posted any names they provide otherwise this is argument via weblink which is not permitted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

You really are not right in the head....
            Americans are learning that their beloved country has been stolen from them by the rich and powerful, and their pet judges. They have the numbers to fight back, and simply need to organise the resistance.
            Last edited by firstfloor; 10-15-2020, 07:15 AM.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Trump sycophant Lindsey Graham, should remember that “Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.”
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Americans are learning that their beloved country has been stolen from them by the rich and powerful.......
                Democrats used to rail against 'dark money.' Now they're better at it than the GOP.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...etter-n1239830

https://howmuch.net/articles/the-30-...he-fortune-500

Last edited by seer; 10-15-2020, 07:28 AM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I'm certain most fundamentalists, evangelicals, and Pentecostals agree with my view that many of the pagan gods were demons
                  That is your own subjective opinion. By the latter quarter of the first century it was Christians who were viewed with suspicion. Here was a cult that appealed primarily to the lower orders in society, that met clandestinely, and worshipped a Jew that had been crucified in the mid 30s for suspected insurrection. Given the events of 66-71 CE [and the mopping up operations that lasted a further two years] that distrust and suspicion was understandable. Hence the gossip and antagonism that existed concerning this cult.

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  , and that strange behaviors and altered states of consciousness associated with their worship often indicated direct demonic influence
                  In the ancient world as today amongst those who hold such beliefs, what one person considers divine inspiration another considers demonic possession, and of course vice versa.

If they would draw conclusions about my and my fellows' experiences without actually observing them, they are not scientists.
                  Read the literature. A lot is freely available online and studies have included the co-operation of various charismatic Christians.

I seem to have missed your reply to my question as to whether endorsing glossolalia and other charismatic gifts necessarily precludes the possibility of being a legitimate Bible scholar.
                  I merely asked for names. However, N.T Wright was, for a period of time, the Bishop of Durham and I do not imagine that within the confines of that august and ancient cathedral he was in the habit half way through the Anglican High Mass of suddenly starting to babble nonsense.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

I wasn't talking about Judge Barrett it was the question that was stupid Leonhard since it had nothing to do with how Judge Barrett would do her job as a supreme court justice. I was talking about the Democrats and thier stupidity. Judge Barrett handled here self very well and ran rings around the Democrats.
                    I'd be concerned about a Supreme Court Justice who wouldn't listen to scientists if it ever became relevant. On this matter I'm satisfied with her vague response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

I'd be concerned about a Supreme Court Justice who wouldn't listen to scientists if it ever became relevant. On this matter I'm satisfied with her vague response.
                      I'm not sure how science would enter in at all. The judge's job is to follow the law or to say if a law is constitutional or not. Judges don't set climate policy for instance.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

As a Christian, I will admit that the Christian response especially from conservatives was overdone. Too many preachers seem to equate homosexually with what is called the "unpardonable" sin and then overreacted accordingly.

I would be interested to know who you are thinking of when you say of "some US evangelical pastors/leaders have suggested gays should be killed".
                        I think if you go online and do a Google search you will find a few.

There is video footage of Kevin Swanson on the topic of homosexuality here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlP...ature=youtu.be. He also has another rant against gays here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTNymA9mRq4

I do not have a date for the following link but Steven Anderson advocated that gays should be killed https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aids/19929973/ to create an AIDs free world for Christmas. Two humane pastors condemned his comments. Anderson also made the most vile remarks after the Orlando Pulse nightclub massacre although Youtube took down his rants but the Phoenix New Times noted that he observed that the "bright side" of that atrocity was that "50 sodomites" were no longer alive.

I have read that, as is so often the case with these extreme individuals, scandals are swirling around their own private lives. Allegations are now being made by a congregant of his church that Anderson has covered up a sexual abuse scandal among his own children and that his older sons have been grooming young girls online for some time. According to the allegations Anderson refused to permit the young girls allegedly involved and several families who protested about it to remain members of his church .

Then there is/was pastor Pastor Donnie Romero who suggested that God should "finish the job” and kill the remaining survivors of the Pulse massacre. He has since admitted to adultery, gambling, visiting prostitutes, and smoking weed.

Pastor Charles L. Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church in North Carolina has called for homosexuals to rounded up and put into an electrified pen and ultimately killed off. His reasoning being that “they can’t reproduce”.

Other men of god have also made offensive comments that while not openly advocating the slaughter of homosexuals do convey their own personal cruelties.

The disconcerting thing is that all these men have congregations who believe what they say.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I'm not sure how science would enter in at all. The judge's job is to follow the law or to say if a law is constitutional or not. Judges don't set climate policy for instance.
                          Liberals are often confused about the role of judges.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Liberals are often confused about the role of judges.
                            Perhaps it is different in Leonhard's country.

Comment

• Conservatives often whined about "judicial activism", simply because their judges weren't active enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                                Conservatives often whined about "judicial activism", simply because their judges weren't active enough.
                                Nonsense, originalists generally do not believe that the Constitution is a "living document" that can mean what ever is convenient.

Comment