Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get off this Biblical stuff and get back to my new best girl Amy?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Can we get off this Biblical stuff and get back to my new best girl Amy?
      Goodluck. Fraulein has gone deep into this derailment. Getting her to stop baiting others down the path will be hard to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Goodluck. Fraulein has gone deep into this derailment. Getting her to stop baiting others down the path will be hard to do.
        Why don't they just get a room!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Keep em.
          Not too long ago I read an article about the things that the rest of the world finds odd about the U.S. and straight pearly white teeth and big smiles was one of those things. That said you are the very first foreigner to say that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

What's with Americans and the need to "beam" in the smile no matter how fake it looks? You can see she's about had enough of the photographer there.
            What's with people in other countries scowling at the camera like they wish death on the photographer?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              What's with people in other countries scowling at the camera like they wish death on the photographer?
              I think it was Family Guy that made fun of the fact that a group of black men can be laughing and smiling but as soon as a camera gets pulled out then they start scowling and trying to look tough and mean.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                I have just looked back through Apologetics and can find no thread started by me on Paul or Paul's allegations about himself.
                My bad. It was in your "Did the Jews really kill Jesus" thread that you brought it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

My bad. It was in your "Did the Jews really kill Jesus" thread that you brought it up.
                  Thank you.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I read an article where a group of Americans complained that a hotel clerk in Finland was mean to them because she wouldn't return their smiles. The management brought the two together and explained to the Americans that Finns (or Europeans in general) don't readily smile unless they have a reason. The way Americans smile at each other appears oafish to them. When the clerk heard the complaint she laughed and assured the Americans she wasn't snarling at them. Just a regional difference, I guess.

In my experience (despite the mask fiasco), I smile at everyone I pass when appropriate. A smile only follows eye contact anyway. If someone doesn't feel comfortable with the smiling thing, they don't make eye contact. Smiling is just a way of non-verbally saying to a stranger that you don't pose a threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I read an article where a group of Americans complained that a hotel clerk in Finland was mean to them because she wouldn't return their smiles. The management brought the two together and explained to the Americans that Finns (or Europeans in general) don't readily smile unless they have a reason. The way Americans smile at each other appears oafish to them. When the clerk heard the complaint she laughed and assured the Americans she wasn't snarling at them. Just a regional difference, I guess.

In my experience (despite the mask fiasco), I smile at everyone I pass when appropriate. A smile only follows eye contact anyway. If someone doesn't feel comfortable with the smiling thing, they don't make eye contact. Smiling is just a way of non-verbally saying to a stranger that you don't pose a threat.
                      My pastor told a story about a fellow pastor who was meeting with American Indians. In their culture, it is apparently considered offensive to close your eyes and bow your head when you pray, but when the pastor was praying with the chief, he followed force of habit and proceeded with closed eyes and bowed head. It seems the chief was so offended by this sign of disrespect that he slapped the pastor. My comment: "I bet he opened his eyes then!"
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Two Republican senators have said it is unlikely they will vote for Barrett. In the last 24 hours, three additional Republican senators have tested positive for COVID. It is becoming unlikely that the Republicans will have sufficient votes to confirm Barrett if they immediately proceed with the confirmation process as they have planned.
                        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                          Two Republican senators have said it is unlikely they will vote for Barrett. In the last 24 hours, three additional Republican senators have tested positive for COVID. It is becoming unlikely that the Republicans will have sufficient votes to confirm Barrett if they immediately proceed with the confirmation process as they have planned.
                          Perhaps the house should take up the same rule the house has, and allow voting by Proxy, then those sick with covid can still vote. If it's good enough for Pelosi, it should be good enough for Schumer.

Comment

• With three senators infected (some confusion as to whether Rick Scott also is positive) if the democrats don't show up there aren't even enough senators to form a quorum and open the senate for business (you need 51 and the VP can't break a tie). That the Barrett announcement event will be what prevents her from getting confirmed before the election is absolutely insane.
                            Last edited by LiconaFan97; 10-03-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• suit.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                                Two Republican senators have said it is unlikely they will vote for Barrett. In the last 24 hours, three additional Republican senators have tested positive for COVID. It is becoming unlikely that the Republicans will have sufficient votes to confirm Barrett if they immediately proceed with the confirmation process as they have planned.
                                I would expect Republican senators who have tested positive to still show up to vote. Probably without wearing masks.

Comment