Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

He never refers to himself as a Jew. [i.e. Ioudaios] I remind you again, read the original Greek.
    She's getting ready to play the "Bible Trivia Game."

Comment

• The glorious ACB, what's not to love?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        The glorious ACB, what's not to love?

Other than that leftist BLM loon Ibram X. Kendi, I'm not seeing her get that much flak from the MSM other than she'll be a tough opponent for the left, at least nothing like the insane treatment Kavanaugh got. How the Dems treat her during the hearing should be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Other than that leftist BLM loon Ibram X. Kendi, I'm not seeing her get that much flak from the MSM other than she'll be a tough opponent for the left, at least nothing like the insane treatment Kavanaugh got. How the Dems treat her during the hearing should be interesting.
          Well, remember, Kavanaugh's case was quiet right up until the surprise accusation from nowhere showed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

He never refers to himself as a Jew. [i.e. Ioudaios] I remind you again, read the original Greek.
            Your idiotic claim is based on him never literally uttering the specific words "I am a Jew"

Comment

• Liberal women’s groups slam Amy Coney Barrett, claim she will ‘turn back the clock on equality’

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/amy...-supreme-court

Translation: we may not be able to kill our unborn children at will anymore... What a pity...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Your idiotic claim is based on him never literally uttering the specific words "I am a Jew"
                It is not a claim, idiotic or otherwise, it is a textual fact.

Paul never describes himself as a Jew. He is an “Israelite” or “Hebrew”, or “a Hebrew of the Hebrews” but never a Jew. Why he does not employ the Greek Ioudaios when referring to himself we do not know.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The glorious ACB, what's not to love?

What's with Americans and the need to "beam" in the smile no matter how fake it looks? You can see she's about had enough of the photographer there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

What's with Americans and the need to "beam" in the smile no matter how fake it looks? You can see she's about had enough of the photographer there.

It goes back well beyond my generation with folks (especially kids being told to say "Cheeeeeese").

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

She's getting ready to play the "Bible Trivia Game."
                      Textual accuracy is not trivia and nowhere does Paul ever use the Greek Ioudaios when referring to himself. That is a textual fact irrespective of whether you accept it or not.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It goes back well beyond my generation with folks (especially kids being told to say "Cheeeeeese").
                        Bleech.

I don't mind smiling, but I want it to be natural. Usually my smiles are softer than those Colgate commercial worthy smiles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Bleech.

I don't mind smiling, but I want it to be natural. Usually my smiles are softer than those Colgate commercial worthy smiles.
                          Don't envy her perfect white teeth!

Comment

• Ἐγώ εἰμι ἀνὴρ, Ἰουδαῖος, γεγεννημένος εν Ταρσῷ... (Acts 22:3)
                            When I Survey....

Comment

Don't envy her perfect white teeth!
                              Keep em.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I'm beginning to wonder how you're defining "nation" in order to get around the fact that what is described in the Old Testament is clearly an Israelite nation.
                                You cited the book of Exodus as your example.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                As for archeological evidence, the Israelite nation was primarily nomadic during the period following the events in Exodus, so there wouldn't be much in the way of physical evidence left behind. In fact, the sort of evidence one would expect is precisely what we have: an historical record that has been handed down across thousands of generations. It wasn't until the time of the kings when they started building permanent cities that we find the sort of evidence you're demanding.
                                You can read this.

No event of the size and extent of the exodus could have failed to leave significant archaeological remains. much of the 40 years of 'wandering' was spent near Qadesh-Barnea. This and related sites in Sinai and southern Palestine should yield ample evidence of a large population in this region. Yet nothing has been found. There is no mention of such an event in any New Kingdom Egyptian source, and there is no trace of the early Hebrews in Egypt. The northern coast of Sinai was protected by formidable Egyptian forts that could have easily prevented an escaping people from crossing the desert; there is no trace of Late Bronze remains in the rest of the Sinai peninsula, not even in a place like Kadesh-barnea, where the Israelites are supposed to have camped for a long time. At that time Canaan was an Egyptian province, administered by Egyptian garrisons where, according to the Amarna letters fifty Egyptian soldiers were enough to pacify an area.

Furthermore, many of the places mentioned in the story of Exodus and the wandering in the desert were not inhabited before the eighth or even seventh century BCE Hence and despite efforts made by some fundamentalist arguments, there is no way in which the biblical text may be considered as a description of a historical event. A large population of Israelites, living in their own section of the country, did not march out of an Egypt devastated by various plagues and despoiled of its wealth and spend 40 years in the wilderness before conquering the Canaanites.

Deuteronomistic (D) and Priestly (P) texts in the Torah purport to describe acts of worship that took place as early as the era of the exodus from Egypt but this event cannot be substantiated historically. However, it has always been clear that the story of the Conquest of Canaan in the Deuteronomistic History was put in writing much later and neither the Deuteronomistic History [D] nor the Priestly texts [P] were composed prior to the late eighth century, with much of P dating to the exilic era [i.e. sixth century BCE].

As to the development of Israel as a state/nation that was a slow process and it may be suggested that the history of Israel begins in many ways with Merneptah. From evidence it appears that something called Israel existed in the Palestinian region about 1200 BCE, and it appears to have been comprised of one group of people. However, where these people lived, what constituted it, and from where it acquired its name along with its relationship with the Biblical Israel are all questions.

Despite those who regard the later redacted Hebrew texts as proof that is not the same as attested archaeological evidence and although archaeological excavations have uncovered certain innovations among the central highland peoples, design of houses, terracing, plastered cisterns, and an absence of pig bones there is no list of technologies or practices that is exclusive to this region and time or that can serve as 'Israelite ethnic markers'.

On the contrary, it seems that a variety of ethnic groups [Hittites, Hurrians, Jebusites, Girgashites, Amorites, Shasu [?],etc], as well as social elements ('apiru, Shasu [?], pastoralists settling down, peasants fleeing the lowlands, etc.], settled the hill country on both sides of the Jordan in Iron I, judging from extant written sources. Some of the tribal and other groups known from biblical genealogies may also have originated in this period, though we know that others are probably much later creations. Local leaders might have given rise to some of the stories in the book of Judges, but it is doubtful if much historical memory remains here, even if the general picture of a disunited series of autonomous (or partially autonomous) peoples is considered to be possibly believable.

I would recommend for further reading, Lester L Grabbe’s Historical Israel:What Do We Know and How Do We Know It, Beth Alpert Nakhai’s Archaeology of the Religions of Canaan and Israel, and The Quest for the Historical Israel by Israel Finkelstein and Amihai Mazar [Ed. Brian B. Schmidt]
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment