Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

As I recollect you believe in demons. If I also recall correctly it was you who had an encounter with a floating leaf that was ascribed to some sort of divine intervention. If I am mistaken in that latter example, please excuse me.

However, believing in some form of demonic influence in this world is not generally considered to be overly rational.
    Again how are either irrational? I asked you time and time again which law of logic did I violate - you could NOT answer. Your opinion that these beliefs are not rational is just that - opinion - nothing more, nothing grounded in the laws of logic . The majority of humans on earth believe in some kind, or form, of a spiritual world.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Again how are either irrational?
      The belief in the existence of demons? An experience that is explained as some sort of divine intercession?

My advice would be to go and talk to a psychiatrist.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I thought you had read the Bible?
        Of course there is no such evidence.

Perhaps you also think that somewhere in the Black Forest lie the remains of a castle where people fell asleep for a hundred years? After all it's a well known tale and it appears in various different texts.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The belief in the existence of demons? An experience that is explained as some sort of divine intercession?

My advice would be to go and talk to a psychiatrist.
          So the vast majority of humans who believe in God or gods or a spiritual world need a psychiatrist. But AGAIN you avoided my question - which law of logic did I violate? Be specific, if not you are merely offering your opinion.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Oh, so you haven't read the Bible. Why didn't you say so?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Perhaps you also think that somewhere in the Black Forest lie the remains of a castle where people fell asleep for a hundred years? After all it's a well known tale and it appears in various different texts.
              You seem to be conflating "evidence" with "proof". Those tales you quote would be "evidence" that such a castle existed, but not convincing, and certainly not proof.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

So the vast majority of humans who believe in God or gods or a spiritual world need a psychiatrist. But AGAIN you avoided my question - which law of logic did I violate? Be specific, if not you are merely offering your opinion.
                That depends on how the individual views this deity or spiritual world. However, individuals who regularly report seeing visions, hearing voices, or express the belief in demons or demonic activity/influence might certainly require the skills of a qualified psychiatrist.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You seem to be conflating "evidence" with "proof". Those tales you quote would be "evidence" that such a castle existed, but not convincing, and certainly not proof.
                  As the old saying goes "proof is for alcohol" (and those dang-blasted mathemagicians)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That depends on how the individual views this deity or spiritual world. However, individuals who regularly report seeing visions, hearing voices, or express the belief in demons or demonic activity/influence might certainly require the skills of a qualified psychiatrist.
                    I think most religions believe in some kind of negative or wicked spiritual force or forces. So by your definition they need psychiatrist. But AGAIN you avoided my question - which law of logic did I violate?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Evidence as in attested archaeological evidence for a "nation" of Israel in the early Iron Age is required to substantiate MM's comments. That stories/accounts appear in books does not necessarily, in and of itself, offer such evidence.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Oh, so you haven't read the Bible. Why didn't you say so?
                        I came to the same conclusion in her thread saying Paul never claimed to be Jewish. I even asked her and never got a clear answer, just dodging.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I came to the same conclusion in her thread saying Paul never claimed to be Jewish. I even asked her and never got a clear answer, just dodging.
                          Definitely not one of her finer moments. And IIRC that wasn't the first time she made that assertion and met with a similar outcome.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Evidence as in attested archaeological evidence for a "nation" of Israel in the early Iron Age is required to substantiate MM's comments. That stories/accounts appear in books does not necessarily, in and of itself, offer such evidence.
                            I'm beginning to wonder how you're defining "nation" in order to get around the fact that what is described in the Old Testament is clearly an Israelite nation.

As for archeological evidence, the Israelite nation was primarily nomadic during the period following the events in Exodus, so there wouldn't be much in the way of physical evidence left behind. In fact, the sort of evidence one would expect is precisely what we have: an historical record that has been handed down across thousands of generations. It wasn't until the time of the kings when they started building permanent cities that we find the sort of evidence you're demanding.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He never refers to himself as a Jew. [i.e. Ioudaios] I remind you again, read the original Greek.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Definitely not one of her finer moments. And IIRC that wasn't the first time she made that assertion and met with a similar outcome.
                                You should read the original Greek as well.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment