Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amy Coney Barrett

She is the one who Trump named as his selection to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg after the latter's passing earlier this month. Still it requires Senate confirmation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

According to Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham, they have the votes. I'm just wondering what theatricalities the Democrats have planned.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      According to Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham, they have the votes. I'm just wondering what theatricalities the Democrats have planned.
      Primarily because of rule changes pushed through by the Democrats when they controlled the Senate

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        She is the one who Trump named as his selection to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg after the latter's passing earlier this month. Still it requires Senate confirmation.
        It'll be interesting to watch. From what I can tell, ACB is eminently qualified, was the top in her class, has been endorsed by both liberal and conservative law professors who taught her (including one liberal professor who Dems called as an expert witness in last January's Impeachment proceedings).

It looks like so far the Dem attack on her will be somewhat two-pronged - attacks on her position on abortion, and attacks on her religion, with the latter being connected to the former, and also seemingly the more main focus thus far by democrats.

Comment

And so it begins...

Dana Houle, a Democrat activist who was once a chief of staff on Capitol Hill to a Democrat lawmaker, tweeted Friday night that he hopes Barrett is investigated over the children she and her husband adopted from Haiti. “I would love to know which adoption agency Amy Coney Barrett & her husband used to adopt the two children they brought here from Haiti,” Houle wrote.

“So here’s a Q: Does the press even investigate details of Barrett’s adoptions from Haiti?” Houle wrote in a follow-up tweet. “Some adoptions from Haiti were legit. Many were sketchy as hell. And if the press learned they were unethical & maybe illegal adoptions, would they report it? Or not bc it involves her children”

In a third follow-up tweet, Houle added: “Would it matter if her kids were scooped up by ultra-religious Americans, or Americans weren’t scrupulous intermediaries & the kids were taken when there was family in Haiti? I dunno. I think it does, but maybe it doesn’t, or shouldn’t.”

According to his LinkedIn page, Houle is a former campaign manager to several top Democrats like former Rep. Paul Hodes (D-NH) and current Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT). He also was Hodes’ chief of staff in Congress. On his website, Houle describes himself as an effective Democrat operative who has taken out sitting Republicans.

Breitbart.com

As usual, nothing specific, just a vague accusation suggesting that we should be suspicious of her just because.

Comment

On his HBO show Bill Maher branded her as being a "[f-bomb] nut" and describing her as "Catholic. Really Catholic. I mean, really, really Catholic" and quickly descending into a lewd joke about Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Well they can't accuse her of gang rape - or can they?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well they can't accuse her of gang rape - or can they?
                I wouldn't put anything past the Democrats.

Comment

Well, this should cause consternation among Democrats. It seems that one of the left leaning law professors who was tapped to testify on behalf of the Democrats during the impeachment circus has written a glowing editorial about Barrett. Noah Feldman says, "I know her to be a brilliant and conscientious lawyer who will analyze and decide cases in good faith, applying the jurisprudential principles to which she is committed. Those are the basic criteria for being a good justice. Barrett meets and exceeds them." He goes on to say that Barret's "combination of smart and nice will be scary for liberals".

Source

Comment

On his HBO show Bill Maher branded her as being a "[f-bomb] nut" and describing her as "Catholic. Really Catholic. I mean, really, really Catholic" and quickly descending into a lewd joke about Trump.
                    I would question her catholicism only because they have a tendency to be left leaning. And what makes it worse, folks are mislead into believing they'll be conservative because of their supposed religious affiliation. I mean, look at Roberts; case in point.

Comment

President Trump has not announced his nomination yet she is the front runner but until he announces his choice this evening I will wait.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I would question her catholicism only because they have a tendency to be left leaning. And what makes it worse, folks are mislead into believing they'll be conservative because of their supposed religious affiliation. I mean, look at Roberts; case in point.
                        For instance she's stated that the core of Roe vs Wade likely won't change.

Comment

Point of information, Bill Maher was raised as a Catholic. He did not find out that his mother was Jewish until he was older.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Question. Do you wish to see the USA become a Christian theocracy?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Question. Do you wish to see the USA become a Christian theocracy?
                              No we wish to see the judges follow the Constitution.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment