Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Amy Coney Barrett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    Margaret Atwood is the author of The Handmaids Tale a terrible written book which I unfortunately read decades ago about a Patriarchal group taking over America I would have been ok with it if the story was well written it wasn't so after finishing the to its non conclusion i never picked it up again. The Left tried to say that the Group was based on the group Amy Coney Barret was apart of unfortunately for them Margaret Atwood denied it was. The Republic of Gilead was what the group renamed America. and yes the series The Handmaids Tale is based on the book.
    Ah, I should have guessed our resident high brow (in her own mind) was referring to another unfounded liberal smear.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Margaret Atwood is the author of The Handmaids Tale a terrible written book which I unfortunately read decades ago about a Patriarchal group taking over America I would have been ok with it if the story was well written it wasn't so after finishing the to its non conclusion i never picked it up again. The Left tried to say that the Group was based on the group Amy Coney Barret was apart of unfortunately for them Margaret Atwood denied it was. The Republic of Gilead was what the group renamed America. and yes the series The Handmaids Tale is based on the book.
      Indeed, it was not a great book. Don't understand the popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Is he your "sock puppet"?

Something along the lines of the Republic of Gilead perhaps?
        We are far more likely to end up some "Democratic People's Republic" that the left are so endeared with creating than an imaginary nation from an over-the-top hysterical fantasy

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Point of information, Bill Maher was raised as a Catholic. He did not find out that his mother was Jewish until he was older.
          Not sure that is in any way relevant any more than noting that he is a germ theory denier, anti-vaxxer who has TDS so bad that he has repeatedly wished for a recession if it hurts Trump.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            There's a lot of Atwood's out there, little lady.

I was taught that when the gender of the person is unknown, you use the masculine pronoun.

Now isn't there a man somewhere you could be making a sandwich for?
            For anyone who genuinely wished to ascertain the work, a simple Google search with the terms Atwood, Republic of Gilead would have provided them with the information they required.

However, as you appear unable to attempt that basic function, the book is by Margaret Atwood and is entitled The Handmaid's Tale. It is a dystopian novel wherein what is the New England area of the USA has become a fascist theocracy.

Your ridiculous attempt to patronise is duly noted.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Interesting quote from her that I think will resonate with some here.

Source: Amy Coney Barret, Nomination Speech

I clerked for Justice Scalia more than 20 years ago, but the lessons I learned still resonate. His judicial philosophy is mine, too. A judge must apply the law as written. Judges are not policymakers, and they must be resolute in setting aside any policy views they might hold.

© Copyright Original Source

(emphasis added)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                We are far more likely to end up some "Democratic People's Republic" that the left are so endeared with creating than an imaginary nation from an over-the-top hysterical fantasy
                Yet that is not what MM or SeanD wish to see. They appear to want a theocracy. Given recent events in parts of the Middle East we know where such a desire can lead.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Not sure that is in any way relevant any more than noting that he is a germ theory denier, anti-vaxxer who has TDS so bad that he has repeatedly wished for a recession if it hurts Trump.
                  His remarks on Catholicism were the reason I posted my reply. Your link also refers to remarks he made some years ago. I have no idea if he still holds such view. However, I would be the first to agree with you that such attitudes are indeed "Screwball". Unfortunately it remains a fact that a person's upbringing, especially one that is overly religious, may often result in very confused individuals.

I will not quote Larkin because I would get banned, but his poem This Be The Verse is very relevant to so much of the psychological baggage we all carry and given the current state of the planet the last line of the poem is extremely relevant and, perhaps, good advice.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Even as a liberal I don't like Bill Maher, he's a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Interesting quote from her that I think will resonate with some here.

Source: Amy Coney Barret, Nomination Speech

I clerked for Justice Scalia more than 20 years ago, but the lessons I learned still resonate. His judicial philosophy is mine, too. A judge must apply the law as written. Judges are not policymakers, and they must be resolute in setting aside any policy views they might hold.

© Copyright Original Source

(emphasis added)
                      The usual terms used to describe her are "textualist" and "originalist," meaning she believes in following what the actual text says. IOW, if you don't just change the meaning so that it agrees with what you want but rather use the system set in place to amend it.

Comment

His remarks on Catholicism were the reason I posted my reply. Your link also refers to remarks he made some years ago. I have no idea if he still holds such view. However, I would be the first to agree with you that such attitudes are indeed "Screwball". Unfortunately it remains a fact that a person's upbringing, especially one that is overly religious, may often result in very confused individuals.

I will not quote Larkin because I would get banned, but his poem This Be The Verse is very relevant to so much of the psychological baggage we all carry and given the current state of the planet the last line of the poem is extremely relevant and, perhaps, good advice.
                        I seriously doubt that being raised a Catholic while having a Jewish mother explains why he so vehemently despises any and all religion or some of the woo-woo land stuff he does believe or even why he doesn't care how many folks get hurt just so Trump is hurt as well. Some folks are just smug, arrogant jerks and you don't need a deep psychoanalysis to understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          Even as a liberal I don't like Bill Maher, he's a clown.
                          I liked him when he was still on the Comedy Channel before he moved to HBO. He was willing to poke fun at all sides back then. After moving to HBO that changed along with what seemed to be everything negative about both him and his show getting emphasized and highlighted.

Comment

I seriously doubt that being raised a Catholic while having a Jewish mother explains why he so vehemently despises any and all religion or some of the woo-woo land stuff he does believe or even why he doesn't care how many folks get hurt just so Trump is hurt as well. Some folks are just smug, arrogant jerks and you don't need a deep psychoanalysis to understand it.
                            Indeed but your original remark dealing with his comments about Amy Coney Barrett were not concerned with his somewhat idiotic ideas about vaccinations and germs.

His film Religulous is hilarious though, especially that moment with the Democrat Senator Mark Pryor where Pryor makes the most brilliant faux pas concerning intellectual ability and politics in the USA when he notes that "You don't need to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate". Many a true word....
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Once that fact check failed, they've continued the connection. Now they just yell that the group she belongs to once referred to their women leaders as "Handmaids", as if because the series/book is popular, the shared name means a shared ideology. It's guilt by association at its best.

Comment

Indeed but your original remark dealing with his comments about Amy Coney Barrett were not concerned with his somewhat idiotic ideas about vaccinations and germs.
                                "somewhat idiotic ideas about vaccinations and germs"? Are you implying that they are "somewhat" valid?

Comment