Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No officers directly charged with Breonna Taylor's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I have no problem with ending no knock warrants. Rand Paul has a bill in the Senate as we speak. And it is not like China, I don't think they need or use warrants.
    Lot of horror stories are linked to no-knock raids. It always seems that nearly all of the most egregious policies, those that drift outside the Constitution, have been enacted in the name of the War on Drugs.

Good job on the Web site BTW...
    Si!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Women's March co-founder calls the Kentucky AG a "sellout negro" for not toeing the party line.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I don't think this is true. It's pretty well established the cops knocked before entering. The controversy is whether they announced who they were beforehand.
        It's not at all "well established". ONE witness - ONE - said they knocked. That's hardly "well established".
        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
          It's not at all "well established". ONE witness - ONE - said they knocked. That's hardly "well established".
          And as someone else mentioned, you're all debating quite vigorously a point that is entirely irrelevant. Literally, it doesn't matter at all.

They had a no-knock warrant, which means they legally did not have to announce themselves. From a legal (criminal) perspective, you might as well be arguing about the color of their shoes.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/br...ent/index.html

A former Louisville police officer has been indicted by a grand jury on three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree for his actions on the night Breonna Taylor was killed by police.

The long-awaited charges against the former officer, Brett Hankison, were immediately criticized by demonstrators who had demanded more serious counts and the arrests of the three officers involved in the March shooting. The charges pertain to Hankison allegedly firing blindly through a door and window in Taylor's building.

The other two officers -- Sgt. John Mattingly and Det. Myles Cosgrove -- were not charged following months of demonstrations. Kentucky's Attorney General Daniel Cameron told reporters Wednesday that the officers were "justified in their use of force."
            Not particularly surprised. Even before the new info released in the press conference wrt the grand jury yesterday, I didn't expect there to be any real charges wrt her actual shooting.

When we were under the impression it was a no-knock warrant, even then the cops had the warrant (whether you want to argue that no-knock warrants need to be done away with due to the issues they create or not - personally I think they conflict with the rights to self defense/castle doctrine), and only fired after being fired upon. When that was what we were being told, even then the cops had the right to defend themselves while executing the warrant (but then IMO so would the boyfriend). So no real charges there.

And then when the press conference came through we found out they in fact had adjusted it from a no-knock warrant and actually did knock and identify, which again, they have the right to defend themselves from someone that then fires at them.

Really, there was nothing to really charge them with, other then small things like this.

Of course, because BLM/Antifa wanted more charges, they have been rioting, and have shot two officers in that city since the announcement (but let's be clear - no level charges would have been 'enough' for them and we would have seen rioting regardless - remember these are the same folks that rioted a few weeks ago in Minneapolis after a black dude shot himself in the face, on camera, when Police cornered him for a crime he committed earlier).

Here in my hometown of Denver, they were marching the night before last and surrounded and started beating on a car, and then acted surprised when the person in the car pushed the gas pedal and hit some woman and her bike who was in the mob (I hear similar things happened in other cities last night).

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I don't think this is strictly accurate as Taylor was never actually convicted of a crime. She did hang out with a number of people who were, though.
              Not just hung out, recordings of her ex in prison indicate she was directly involved in helping his drug enterprise keep going. Then there's the issue of the body of a rival drug dealer being found in the trunk of her rental car a couple years ago.....

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Breonna Taylor's name does not appear in former officer Brett Hankison's indictment. Read the full document here

The officer charged in connection to Breonna Taylor's death was indicted on three counts, but records show those charges have nothing to do with her death.

Before we received the document, we spoke with some experts about whether the charges have anything to do with Taylor or her death. They said no.

“The officers whose bullets hit Breonna were not indicted," law professor Jennifer Kreder told us. "As for what was read in open court, it appears that Breonna’s name was not mentioned."

”Law professor Cortney Lollar said the same: “All 3 of the people who Officer Hankison was charged with endangering were people who were in a different, unrelated apartment.”

So we can Verify none of the recommended charges are related to Breonna Taylor's death, and the official indictment does not mention her.

No indictments have been made for the shooting of Breonna Taylor.
                Nor should they have.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

From what the AG said in his news conference Breonna and her boyfriend were standing at the end of a hallway when the cops came in, The boyfriend shot, then the cops returned fire. How was it that she was hit six times but he was not hit once?

Sounds like he ducked after shooting, and didn't care much if she got hit, or something.

Comment

Maybe you misread or maybe you do not understand what was said.

It is indeed well established that they knocked - even the boyfriend himself said they knocked.

He just claims they didn't then announce who they were, which is where that 'ONE witness - ONE' says they did announce. So you seem to be arguing the wrong thing.

Now. Let me ask you this. You are standing on the street. There are 20 people standing around. I walk up to you and punch you in the face. Only one person sees and hears it as the rest of the people are playing with their phones, talking to one another, etc.. Does that mean I did not punch you in the face? Because only one witness says I did, and everyone else says they saw/heard nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Maybe you misread or maybe you do not understand what was said.

It is indeed well established that they knocked - even the boyfriend himself said they knocked.

He just claims they didn't then announce who they were, which is where that 'ONE witness - ONE' says they did announce. So you seem to be arguing the wrong thing.

Now. Let me ask you this. You are standing on the street. There are 20 people standing around. I walk up to you and punch you in the face. Only one person sees and hears it as the rest of the people are playing with their phones, talking to one another, etc.. Does that mean I did not punch you in the face? Because only one witness says I did, and everyone else says they saw/heard nothing?
                      Thank you.

Originally posted by myth View Post

And as someone else mentioned, you're all debating quite vigorously a point that is entirely irrelevant. Literally, it doesn't matter at all.

They had a no-knock warrant, which means they legally did not have to announce themselves. From a legal (criminal) perspective, you might as well be arguing about the color of their shoes.
                      To me personally, it's important. I don't like to be deceived and manipulated with false facts. There were numerous details about this story that were misconstrued or just outright false when I initially heard it and thus mislead me into holding certain opinions about the story that were just wrong, not the least of which it was supposedly the wrong house they had raided. This is especially important considering there is a disturbing pattern of falsities about these cop shootings of black folks.
                      Last edited by seanD; 09-25-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

The "ex" boyfriend (initial shooter) also confirmed that they knocked.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

When we were under the impression it was a no-knock warrant, even then the cops had the warrant (whether you want to argue that no-knock warrants need to be done away with due to the issues they create or not - personally I think they conflict with the rights to self defense/castle doctrine), and only fired after being fired upon.
                          The conflict over someone legitimately protecting their home against armed intruders running into "no-knock" warrants was exactly what I was referring to when I said that there were "Lot of horror stories are linked to no-knock raids."

A couple years ago police executed a no-knock raid on a house here in Atlanta and burst in on an 80-something year old chair-bound grandmother. She kept a handgun nearby for self defense and when she grabbed it was shot and killed. To add to the tragedy, the police were at the wrong address. Major lawsuit resulted with a huge payout.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The conflict over someone legitimately protecting their home against armed intruders running into "no-knock" warrants was exactly what I was referring to when I said that there were "Lot of horror stories are linked to no-knock raids."

A couple years ago police executed a no-knock raid on a house here in Atlanta and burst in on an 80-something year old chair-bound grandmother. She kept a handgun nearby for self defense and when she grabbed it was shot and killed. To add to the tragedy, the police were at the wrong address. Major lawsuit resulted with a huge payout.
                            Yep it's certainly a big issue, and I don't think they should be allowed (I'm pleased to see Louisville has banned them). I hope Rand Paul's bill eliminating no-knock warrants gets support, though I doubt it will - Congress seems more interested in other things.

Comment

I also think we shouldn't delude ourselves into imagining that there would not be BLM/Antifa protests if the officers HAD been charged. At this point, it's a mindless mob mentality, they're rioting no matter the outcome. Logic doesn't even enter into it. After all, the whole movement started up again after the George Floyd incident...and those officers were charged.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                                I also think we shouldn't delude ourselves into imagining that there would not be BLM/Antifa protests if the officers HAD been charged. At this point, it's a mindless mob mentality, they're rioting no matter the outcome. Logic doesn't even enter into it. After all, the whole movement started up again after the George Floyd incident...and those officers were charged.
                                Exactly. They literally rioted and looted in Minneapolis a few weeks back when a murder suspect, in public, on camera, was cornered by police and blew his own brains out. On camera. In front of numerous people also on camera.

They'll riot no matter what.

Comment