Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No officers directly charged with Breonna Taylor's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No officers directly charged with Breonna Taylor's death

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/br...ent/index.html

A former Louisville police officer has been indicted by a grand jury on three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree for his actions on the night Breonna Taylor was killed by police.

The long-awaited charges against the former officer, Brett Hankison, were immediately criticized by demonstrators who had demanded more serious counts and the arrests of the three officers involved in the March shooting. The charges pertain to Hankison allegedly firing blindly through a door and window in Taylor's building.

The other two officers -- Sgt. John Mattingly and Det. Myles Cosgrove -- were not charged following months of demonstrations. Kentucky's Attorney General Daniel Cameron told reporters Wednesday that the officers were "justified in their use of force."
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

well, expect more riots.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      well, expect more riots.
      Police and protesters clash after Breonna Taylor grand jury decision...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The reactions so far are more muted than I thought... so far.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The reactions so far are more muted than I thought... so far.
          Source: 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests

Hours after a Kentucky grand jury brought no charges against Louisville police for Breonna Taylor’s death and protesters took to the streets, authorities said two officers were shot and wounded Wednesday night during the demonstrations expressing anger over the killings of Black people at the hands of police.

Interim Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder said a suspect was in custody but did not offer details about whether that person was participating in the demonstrations. He says both officers are expected to recover, and one is undergoing surgery.

He says the officers were shot after investigating reports of gunfire at an intersection where there was a large crowd.

Several shots rang out as protesters in downtown Louisville tried to avoid police blockades, moving down an alleyway as officers lobbed pepper balls, according to an Associated Press journalist. People covered their ears, ran away and frantically looked for places to hide. Police with long guns swarmed the area, then officers in riot gear and military-style vehicles blocked off roadways.

The violence comes after prosecutors said two officers who fired their weapons at Taylor, a Black woman, were justified in using force to protect themselves after they faced gunfire from her boyfriend. The only charges were three counts of wanton endangerment against fired Officer Brett Hankison for shooting into a home next to Taylor’s with people inside.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"If we simply act on emotion or outrage, then there is no justice. Mob justice is not justice. Justice sought by violence is not justice."
            --Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron

CNN anchor and senior political correspondent Brianna Keilar condemned these words as "very politically loaded language." During the panel discussion she hosted CNN legal analyst Laura Coates called Cameron's remarks "disingenuous" and "very juvenile" and likened them to racist so-called dog whistles proclaiming that "These are triggering words for people, all nod to hidden gestures to show he was demonstrating that he was well aware of the talking points that are out there."

Another of their legal analysts Areva Martin pushed conspiracy theories about how witnesses must have been lying when they confirmed that police announced their presence before entering Taylor’s apartment with a warrant and then went into a rant attacking Cameron for having attended the Republican National Convention and then whined about "pejorative terms" being "attached to people who are "peacefully protesting" Taylor's death.

Later CNN's Senior National Correspondent, Alexander Marquardt, would contradict the "peaceful protest" narrative when he informed CNN Tonight host Don Lemon[1], "I'm not going to say [the protest has] been peaceful" although he couldn't bring himself to calling it violent. But then this is the same network where they described rioting in Kenosha as being "fiery but mostly peaceful" (I think that was how the Hindenburg passengers described their flight) so getting an admission that it wasn't peaceful is progress.

Meanwhile over on MSNBC Joy Reid also called Cameron's remarks "highly political" proclaiming that he actually supports the indiscriminate killing of black people in their homes because he thinks that Taylor’s “death was akin to a drowning or accident or being hit by a bus" and that he thinks that "Breonna Taylor's life did not matter" and "this black woman [didn’t] matter." One of her guests, BLM co-founder Alicia Garza, declared that Cameron's statement was "a Bull Connor speech in 2020."

1. who is in hot water over his own recent remarks over a need for radical change and a need to "blow up the entire system"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When will the left stop canonizing criminals?
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                When will the left stop canonizing criminals?
                I don't think this is strictly accurate as Taylor was never actually convicted of a crime. She did hang out with a number of people who were, though.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/br...ent/index.html

A former Louisville police officer has been indicted by a grand jury on three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree for his actions on the night Breonna Taylor was killed by police.

The long-awaited charges against the former officer, Brett Hankison, were immediately criticized by demonstrators who had demanded more serious counts and the arrests of the three officers involved in the March shooting. The charges pertain to Hankison allegedly firing blindly through a door and window in Taylor's building.

The other two officers -- Sgt. John Mattingly and Det. Myles Cosgrove -- were not charged following months of demonstrations. Kentucky's Attorney General Daniel Cameron told reporters Wednesday that the officers were "justified in their use of force."
                  It was the right decision the police did nothing illegal.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Breonna Taylor's name does not appear in former officer Brett Hankison's indictment. Read the full document here

The officer charged in connection to Breonna Taylor's death was indicted on three counts, but records show those charges have nothing to do with her death.

Before we received the document, we spoke with some experts about whether the charges have anything to do with Taylor or her death. They said no.

“The officers whose bullets hit Breonna were not indicted," law professor Jennifer Kreder told us. "As for what was read in open court, it appears that Breonna’s name was not mentioned."

”Law professor Cortney Lollar said the same: “All 3 of the people who Officer Hankison was charged with endangering were people who were in a different, unrelated apartment.”

So we can Verify none of the recommended charges are related to Breonna Taylor's death, and the official indictment does not mention her.

No indictments have been made for the shooting of Breonna Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      No indictments have been made for the shooting of Breonna Taylor.
                      Which was absolutely the right decision.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I find this odd as there were twelve witness accounts that the cops did not announce their presence. It's hard for me to understand how the police can barge into an apartment unannounced, start shooting like crazy and kill a bystander and the only thing you can charge one of them with is glorified property damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          I find this odd as there were twelve witness accounts that the cops did not announce their presence.
                          According to the Taylor family's lawyer. According to the police report and other witnesses, they did announce their presence multiple times before breaching the door.

It's hard for me to understand how the police can barge into an apartment unannounced,
                          They are called "no-knock" and are used especially in drug investigations so criminals don't have the opportunity to flush or destroy evidence. There was plenty of credible evidence that Taylor was allowing her residence to be used as a hub for trafficking drugs.

start shooting like crazy
                          After being fired upon and hit by a gun from a suspected narcotics target.

and kill a bystander and the only thing you can charge one of them with is glorified property damage.
                          Because it is legal for police to execute no-knock warrants, and to return fire when fired upon. The only charges were from an officer not in the line of fire blindly shooting into the residence. Taylor was an unfortunate casualty of legal proceedings. Had they found any of them guilty of murder or manslaughter, that would effectively neuter any return of deadly force by police from then on.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

According to the Taylor family's lawyer. According to the police report and other witnesses, they did announce their presence multiple times before breaching the door.
                            I don't know where you've gotten that, but it appears to be wrong. In fact the only witness that I can find that claims this is the police, so that means this testimony is useless. The victim they shot at claims they did not accounce themselves, and the wrongful death lawsuit was based on the claim that the police did not announce themselves.

As of right now people are calling for the transcripts to be released.

I smell foul.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...tnesses-claim/

Source: CBSNews - [B

Kentucky's AG says witness heard officers ID themselves in Breonna Taylor raid, but attorneys claim 12 others said otherwise][/B]A lawyer for Breonna Taylor's family is calling for the public release of evidence presented to the grand jury that declined to indict three officers for her shooting death, but instead, brought charges against one fired officer for endangering Taylor's neighbors.

After being fired upon and hit by a gun from a suspected narcotics target.
                            That is irrelevant. If they did not announce themselves, the victim has the full right to shoot back and cannot be charged.

They are called "no-knock" and are used especially in drug investigations so criminals don't have the opportunity to flush or destroy evidence.
                            No knock warrents are ridiculous and unwarranted and are a legacy of the counter-productive "war on drugs", it doesn't serve the police to enter an area where a person is legally justified in shooting back, and the value gained by this whole law is dubious. One good thing that came out of this tragedy was that the city ordered a complete cease on "no-knock" warrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

I don't know where you've gotten that, but it appears to be wrong. In fact the only witness that I can find that claims this is the police, so that means this testimony is useless. The victim they shot at claims they did not accounce themselves, and the wrongful death lawsuit was based on the claim that the police did not announce themselves.

As of right now people are calling for the transcripts to be released.

I smell foul.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...tnesses-claim/

Source: CBSNews - [B

Kentucky's AG says witness heard officers ID themselves in Breonna Taylor raid, but attorneys claim 12 others said otherwise][/B]A lawyer for Breonna Taylor's family is calling for the public release of evidence presented to the grand jury that declined to indict three officers for her shooting death, but instead, brought charges against one fired officer for endangering Taylor's neighbors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54273317
                              The attorney general said the officers' statements that they identified themselves "are corroborated by an independent witness"

irrelevant. If they did not announce themselves, the victim has the full right to shoot back and cannot be charged.
                              He is not currently being charged. So, that's irrelevant.

No knock warrents are ridiculous and unwarranted and are a legacy of the counter-productive "war on drugs", it doesn't serve the police to enter an area where a person is legally justified in shooting back, and the value gained by this whole law is dubious. One good thing that came out of this tragedy was that the city ordered a complete cease on "no-knock" warrants.
                              Ridiculous or not, they were perfectly legal. No law was broken in this shooting.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment