Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No officers directly charged with Breonna Taylor's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54273317
    The attorney general said the officers' statements that they identified themselves "are corroborated by an independent witness"
    Yes, which is odd, because there were twelve witnesses who said otherwise. Also you claimed that the Taylor family lawyer claimed what you said, that too is false. So I'm suspecting that there's foul play. The AG might simply not have allowed all the testimony, in fact cutting it down to just what the police officer said is my suspicion. In which case that's clearly foul play.

Ridiculous or not, they were perfectly legal. No law was broken in this shooting.
    I don't believe that for a second. It can't simply be legal for the police to kick the door in unannounced and start shooting like crazy. There's some wrong doing that can be pinned to them. You don't just murder someone in their own apartment and go "Oops, didn't mean to do that."

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Yes, which is odd, because there were twelve witnesses who said otherwise. Also you claimed that the Taylor family lawyer claimed what you said, that too is false.
      No it isn't.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...tnesses-claim/
      Cameron said Wednesday that one witness heard police announce themselves, but Crump told "CBS This Morning" his legal team has spoken with a dozen witnesses nearby that night who said they did not.

So I'm suspecting that there's foul play.
      Crump's team didn't interview any witnesses until months later after it was a public spectacle and anger was out of control.

The AG might simply not have allowed all the testimony, in fact cutting it down to just what the police officer said is my suspicion.
      I find it hard to believe a judge would not allow witness testimony, to which there is no evidence either way at this point.

In which case that's clearly foul play.
      Either way, announced or not, there was no foul play. They were within their right according to the warrant, to execute a no-knock warrant.

I don't believe that for a second. It can't simply be legal for the police to kick the door in unannounced and start shooting like crazy.
      It is, if they have a no-knock warrant, and are fired upon first.

There's some wrong doing that can be pinned to them. You don't just murder someone in their own apartment and go "Oops, didn't mean to do that."
      Yes they can. And it happens. Bystanders get hit during shootouts. And when that happens, as sad as it is, it isn't in any way criminal. That's the purpose of the civil settlement.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Originally posted by Leonhard
        Yes, which is odd, because there were twelve witnesses who said otherwise. Also you claimed that the Taylor family lawyer claimed what you said, that too is false.
        No it isn't.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...tnesses-claim/
        Cameron said Wednesday that one witness heard police announce themselves, but Crump told "CBS This Morning" his legal team has spoken with a dozen witnesses nearby that night who said they did not.
        Your response doesn't make sense. You said specifically

"According to the Taylor family's lawyer ... they did announce their presence multiple times before breaching the door."

But that is not what the Taylor family lawyer said. He said there's only ONE witness who claimed that, while there's A DOZEN witnesses who claims the contrary. So why is one witness allowed to prevail over the other? That doesn't make sense to me.

Their lawyer wants the AG to release the transcripts so people can judge for themselves. So there's something fishy going on in that courtroom.

Crump's team didn't interview any witnesses until months later after it was a public spectacle and anger was out of control.
        Didn't the cops have body cams that record audio?

I find it hard to believe a judge would not allow witness testimony, to which there is no evidence either way at this point.
        Yeah I don't understand it either.

Either way, announced or not, there was no foul play. They were within their right according to the warrant, to execute a no-knock warrant. ... Bystanders get hit during shootouts. And when that happens, as sad as it is, it isn't in any way criminal. That's the purpose of the civil settlement.
        I still don't believe that. I've never heard of something so ridiculous in a western country in my entire life. I'd expect that kind of nonsense out of China, or a corrupt totalitarian regime, but we're talking about the US. This is absolutely ridiculous to the nth degree.

Comment

That is irrelevant. If they did not announce themselves, the victim has the full right to shoot back and cannot be charged.

No knock warrents are ridiculous and unwarranted and are a legacy of the counter-productive "war on drugs", it doesn't serve the police to enter an area where a person is legally justified in shooting back, and the value gained by this whole law is dubious. One good thing that came out of this tragedy was that the city ordered a complete cease on "no-knock" warrants.
          Even if it was a no knock warrant the police have every right to shoot back. These cops did not do anything illegal.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I still don't believe that. I've never heard of something so ridiculous in a western country in my entire life. I'd expect that kind of nonsense out of China, or a corrupt totalitarian regime, but we're talking about the US. This is absolutely ridiculous to the nth degree.
            I have no problem with ending no knock warrants. Rand Paul has a bill in the Senate as we speak. And it is not like China, I don't think they need or use warrants. Good job on the Web site BTW...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              I have no problem with ending no knock warrants. Rand Paul has a bill in the Senate as we speak. And it is not like China, I don't think they need or use warrants.
              Yeah it doesn't seem fair to the cops "Hey please commit break-in and entering unannounced in a country with Castle Doctrine." or to anyone. Will someone flush down some pot or meth into the toilet if the police knock and announce themselves? Probably. I honestly don't care about that. It's not worth this exemption to decent civil law.

Good job on the Web site BTW...
              Thanks I just moved the data, set up anti-virus scanning of uploads, helped with some tricky settings and moved theologyweb to https. All the template stuff, and settings was done by Sparko. We're still fine-tuning things. Lemme know if anything misbehaves.

Comment

I find this odd as there were twelve witness accounts that the cops did not announce their presence. It's hard for me to understand how the police can barge into an apartment unannounced, start shooting like crazy and kill a bystander and the only thing you can charge one of them with is glorified property damage.
                Interesting since we have "journalists" here discounting witness testimony that said the police both knocked and announced themselves, proclaiming that they must be lying.

And being shot at first (by the supposedly "ex" boyfriend) will tend to result in returned fire.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Lemme know if anything misbehaves.
                  Besides me?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    And being shot at first (by the supposedly "ex" boyfriend) will tend to result in returned fire.
                    From what the AG said in his news conference Breonna and her boyfriend were standing at the end of a hallway when the cops came in, The boyfriend shot, then the cops returned fire. How was it that she was hit six times but he was not hit once?

Comment

From what the AG said in his news conference Breonna and her boyfriend were standing at the end of a hallway when the cops came in, The boyfriend shot, then the cops returned fire. How was it that she was hit six times but he was not hit once?
                      Not to be callus but he moved while she didn't. She very well could have been stunned by her "ex" boyfriend's opening fire.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your response doesn't make sense. You said specifically

"According to the Taylor family's lawyer ... they did announce their presence multiple times before breaching the door."

But that is not what the Taylor family lawyer said. He said there's only ONE witness who claimed that, while there's A DOZEN witnesses who claims the contrary. So why is one witness allowed to prevail over the other? That doesn't make sense to me.

Their lawyer wants the AG to release the transcripts so people can judge for themselves. So there's something fishy going on in that courtroom.

Didn't the cops have body cams that record audio?

Yeah I don't understand it either.

You're assuming the AG is hiding things that work against the cops, but how do you know the AG doesn't have political motives for keeping the transcripts being released that work in favor of the cops? So far, there are a number of things about this story (that worked against the police, like almost every single killing of a black person by a cop) I was initially led to believe that turned out to be completely false.

Comment

One report I read indicated that the boyfriend was standing behind her when he opened fire. Possibly using her as a shield?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We will probably never know for sure whether it truly was a no-knock raid or not but I'm not sure it actually matters in light of 1) the police did have a no-knock warrant either way 2) the city paid out the family as if it had been unannounced.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              We will probably never know for sure whether it truly was a no-knock raid or not but I'm not sure it actually matters in light of 1) the police did have a no-knock warrant either way 2) the city paid out the family as if it had been unannounced.
                              I don't think this is true. It's pretty well established the cops knocked before entering. The controversy is whether they announced who they were beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I'm curious about the exact details of the settlement. Was it the city jumping the gun before all the facts were known? Was it an attempt to appease liberals so they wouldn't burn the city to the ground?
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment