Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Assassination plot against Trump; MSM largely ignores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Who are the big three? I googled “Big three broadcasting”, those were the result.

I’d say those white supremacists were equivalent. They had guns and not merely inert ricin.

The gun threat is the serious part. Unlike her the white supremacists had several firearms stashed.

I think you are just biased. But people here will likely agree with you as this is a right-wing forum.
    Folks own firearms in the U.S. and nobody said that the ricin was inert I merely noted that recipes for manufacturing it available on the internet contain a flaw that results in the finished product being largely inert. The thing with ricin is that so little is needed to kill that even a mostly inert batch can still be lethal.

No your comparison would be valid if she made a batch but hadn't sent it. Instead, she sent it (kinda of equivalent of taking a shot at someone with a gun rather than merely owning it) and when that failed was in the process of trying to carry out the second stage of her threat -- coming to shoot him. Again, in the incident you referred to the plot never got much past the making threats stage. She acted on her threat and was continuing to do so.

No. Comparison. Whatsoever.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Folks own firearms in the U.S. and nobody said that the ricin was inert I merely noted that recipes for manufacturing it available on the internet contain a flaw that results in the finished product being largely inert. The thing with ricin is that so little is needed to kill that even a mostly inert batch can still be lethal.

No your comparison would be valid if she made a batch but hadn't sent it. Instead, she sent it (kinda of equivalent of taking a shot at someone with a gun rather than merely owning it) and when that failed was in the process of trying to carry out the second stage of her threat -- coming to shoot him. Again, in the incident you referred to the plot never got much past the making threats stage. She acted on her threat and was continuing to do so.

Ah she should have asked Walter White, now he would have made it correctly for her!
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Compare the coverage of this story to the coverage lavished on the Florida lunatic who in 2018 sent obviously fake and non-functioning bombs to various political figures. Of course in his case, his van was covered with Trump stickers, so the media gleefully ran with the story and kept it in the public eye for weeks.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A ricin-laced[1] letter was sent to Trump last week along with a threatening letter demanding that he drop out of the 2020 presidential race saying that if the poison in the letter "doesn't work, I will find a better recipe for another poison or I might use my gun." The sender, Pascale Ferrie, a French woman who moved to Quebec in 2015, was arrested yesterday as she tried to enter the country armed with a loaded gun.
          prof.jpg
          Ferrie, who will likely be a university professor in a few years

Any attempt on the life of a president should be a major news story, but it only garnered the briefest of mentions on NBC and CBS only mentioned it almost in passing and they spent the majority of the time promoting her demands. ABC could not be bothered to mention either the plot or the arrest of the failed assassin either on air or in print.

Apparently Ferrier sent a few other ricin-laced letters, which had her fingerprints on them, along with the one she sent to Trump, but due to the paucity of coverage I haven't found out who the recipients were except that they were people in Texas jails and detention centers (she was arrested there in 2019.

Further Ferrier posted messages on Twitter and Facebook that said ”#killTrump” and used wording such as "Ugly Clown Tyrant" which is what the letter sender called Trump

1. An incredibly potent poison for which there is no cure and fortunately internet recipes all appear to contain a flaw that makes the end product that is nearly inert which is a good thing since a dose only the size of a few grains of table salt will kill an adult.
          Why am I not surprised that s/he looks pretty much exactly how I imagined when I first heard about this?

Comment

The coup plot in 2017 disturbs me far more. And this coming election, with everything the Dems have done leading up to it, including spreading false stories about Trump and the military, has been nothing short of ominous and dire.

Comment

Heard he burned his lips trying to blow up Trump's limo.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                The coup plot in 2017 disturbs me far more. And this coming election, with everything the Dems have done leading up to it, including spreading false stories about Trump and the military, has been nothing short of ominous and dire.
                Not to mention the "fraud by mail" scheme. There's already suspicious stuff happening with ballots cast for Trump being discarded, and that's only the few cases we know about.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I disagree, both plotted to kill the president. Both prepared for means to do so. Both failed, and were arrested.

I believe she deserves exactly as much (read - as little) attention as Fox News gave the white supremacists. We'll hear about her again when she's sentenced. Also on a matter of principle I believe this is better as many of these assassins are driven by media exposure. Talking about events like this. Showing their pictures in the media often inspires them. There's a lot of wannabe Lee Harvey Oswalds out there.

Comment

I'm guessing the mainstream media doesn't want to investigate her background very much (which is contrary to what they normally do in these matters) because aside from being a Lefty, she appears to be a lesbian, a meth addict (judging by the sores on her face) as well as a Canadian. Not a good stew to stir. They want votes from all of those demographics.

Comment

I disagree, both plotted to kill the president. Both prepared for means to do so. Both failed, and were arrested.

I believe she deserves exactly as much (read - as little) attention as Fox News gave the white supremacists. We'll hear about her again when she's sentenced. Also on a matter of principle I believe this is better as many of these assassins are driven by media exposure. Talking about events like this. Showing their pictures in the media often inspires them. There's a lot of wannabe Lee Harvey Oswalds out there.

Schlesselman and Cowart's plan never appears to have gone beyond the planning stage. While they did own some firearms (not uncommon in the U.S.) part of their plan was to rob a gun store in order to get sufficient firepower to carry it out. So their plot was still in it's infancy. In fact during their trial the Secret Service acknowledged that they were unsure how capable the pair were of even carrying their plan out and that it had "not appear[ed] to have moved to an advanced stage" and were "likely too disorganized to carry out the plot." In fact, Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which fanatically tracks the white supremacy movement scoffed that "it gets a bit hard to take them seriously." In fact, neither Obama or any of his people were even told about the plot confirming that while they took it seriously (as the Secret Service should), they didn't see it as anything more than a low level threat.

In sharp contrast Ferrie actually attacked. That, I'm sure you'll agree, is a good deal more than sitting around talking about it. And then when her first attack was thwarted she proceeded to Plan B but was intercepted at the border carrying a loaded firearm.

So while both plotted to kill the president, in the case of Schlesselman and Cowart it never got beyond the talking stage whereas with Ferrie she actually made an attempt and was intercepted on her way to make a second attempt. A "yuuuge" difference whether or not you wish to pretend otherwise.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        I'm guessing the mainstream media doesn't want to investigate her background very much (which is contrary to what they normally do in these matters) because aside from being a Lefty, she appears to be a lesbian, a meth addict (judging by the sores on her face) as well as a Canadian. Not a good stew to stir. They want votes from all of those demographics.
                        The worst of the lot is being a Canuckistani

It's like the Dayton shooter a couple years back. The MSM lost a great deal of interest in him when it was revealed that he was a big time supporter of liberal policies and a major fanboi of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

Comment

Schlesselman and Cowart's plan never appears to have gone beyond the planning stage.
                          Likewise her plan to shot President Trump, which is the only scenario I can see that has any chance of working was also in the planning stage. Likewise I'm sure it's going to turn out that this woman was far less competent than you're making her out to be. I honestly doubt the ricin powder she sent had any potency. Again, why should we take her super serious in comparison? I agree with the amount of coverage in either case. The news story was covered. You've even admitted that it's covered by media. No one is ignoring it. You're just angry it's not back to back coverage over what at the end of the day was a nothing event.

In sharp contrast Ferrie actually attacked. That, I'm sure you'll agree,
                          Granted.

A "yuuuge" difference whether or not you wish to pretend otherwise.
                          I honestly don't consider it that much of a difference. And what I lack from you is an explanation of the following: 1) Why should the media spend a lot of time on this? 2) Whether spending a lot of media time on this is good for preventing it.

I'd be against broadcasts if it was regarding Obama as well. I've often said that these people are given far too much media coverage.

Comment

Likewise her plan to shot President Trump, which is the only scenario I can see that has any chance of working was also in the planning stage. Likewise I'm sure it's going to turn out that this woman was far less competent than you're making her out to be. I honestly doubt the ricin powder she sent had any potency. Again, why should we take her super serious in comparison? I agree with the amount of coverage in either case. The news story was covered. You've even admitted that it's covered by media. No one is ignoring it. You're just angry it's not back to back coverage over what at the end of the day was a nothing event.
                            But her plots went far beyond the just talking about it stage ("documents show they never got close to getting off the ground"). She actually made an assassination attempt and was on her way, with a loaded gun, to make another attempt.

It's the difference between saying that I'm going to hit you while never getting up out of my chair and saying I'm going to hit you and actually getting up and taking not one but two swings at you. If you cannot see the difference...

I honestly don't consider it that much of a difference. And what I lack from you is an explanation of the following: 1) Why should the media spend a lot of time on this? 2) Whether spending a lot of media time on this is good for preventing it.

I'd be against broadcasts if it was regarding Obama as well. I've often said that these people are given far too much media coverage.
                            That you are either incapable of or unwilling to see the difference is obvious

My point is that prior to Trump something like an actual attack followed by a thwarted second attack would have garnered an awful lot of media attention regardless of which party controlled the White House. I mean they spent a lot more time covering vague, empty threats against an anonymous so-called whistleblower last year than they did covering someone who actually made an attempt at assassinating the president[1] and was in the process of making another attempt.

1. The fact that letters like that stand little chance of reaching the president is not relevant since those who deliver and screen the mail were certainly at risk (keep in mind how toxic ricin is) -- far, far more than anyone was from a couple of racist nutjobs chatting about their fantasies.

Comment