Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Assassination plot against Trump; MSM largely ignores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassination plot against Trump; MSM largely ignores

A ricin-laced[1] letter was sent to Trump last week along with a threatening letter demanding that he drop out of the 2020 presidential race saying that if the poison in the letter "doesn't work, I will find a better recipe for another poison or I might use my gun." The sender, Pascale Ferrie, a French woman who moved to Quebec in 2015, was arrested yesterday as she tried to enter the country armed with a loaded gun.
    prof.jpg
    Ferrie, who will likely be a university professor in a few years

Any attempt on the life of a president should be a major news story, but it only garnered the briefest of mentions on NBC and CBS only mentioned it almost in passing and they spent the majority of the time promoting her demands. ABC could not be bothered to mention either the plot or the arrest of the failed assassin either on air or in print.

Apparently Ferrier sent a few other ricin-laced letters, which had her fingerprints on them, along with the one she sent to Trump, but due to the paucity of coverage I haven't found out who the recipients were except that they were people in Texas jails and detention centers (she was arrested there in 2019.

Further Ferrier posted messages on Twitter and Facebook that said ”#killTrump” and used wording such as "Ugly Clown Tyrant" which is what the letter sender called Trump

1. An incredibly potent poison for which there is no cure and fortunately internet recipes all appear to contain a flaw that makes the end product that is nearly inert which is a good thing since a dose only the size of a few grains of table salt will kill an adult.
    Last edited by rogue06; 09-23-2020, 05:23 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

We're hearing about it a lot here because the woman was found in Canada.

I wonder how many of the libs are dejected and sad because the attempt failed.
    Last edited by mossrose; 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It didn't even manage a blip here.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

She looks attractive and well-balanced.....
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          mdyhz.jpg
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That whole things about "MSM largely ignores" is a load of hogwash. A quick google search shows plenty of news media reporting on it. In fact they reported on it much faster than you did.

3 days ago https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/u...cin-trump.html
            4 days ago https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/20/p...est/index.html
            5 days ago https://nypost.com/2020/09/20/suspec...n-plot-report/
            6 days ago https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...essed-to-trump
            6 days ago https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nvelope-report

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              Was sort of thinking about a set of black kettles and pots when she called Trump an "ugly clown"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                That whole things about "MSM largely ignores" is a load of hogwash. A quick google search shows plenty of news media reporting on it. In fact they reported on it much faster than you did.

3 days ago https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/u...cin-trump.html
                4 days ago https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/20/p...est/index.html
                5 days ago https://nypost.com/2020/09/20/suspec...n-plot-report/
                6 days ago https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...essed-to-trump
                6 days ago https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nvelope-report
                I very specifically mentioned how the network news channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) have spiked the story. What does your post have to do with that?

And I may add that if that was all that you could find covering it over a 3 day period you are proving my point. You even had to go to Europe for a full source. If this had been any other president, Republican or Democrat, this would have been headlines with numerous follow up stories -- especially considering how she threatened that her next step might involve shooting Trump and she got picked up at the border with a loaded gun.
                Last edited by rogue06; 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I very specifically mentioned how the network news channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) have spiked the story. What does your post have to do with that?

And I may add that if that was all that you could find covering it over a 3 day period you are proving my point. You even had to go to Europe for a full source. If this had been any other president, Republican or Democrat, this would have been headlines with numerous follow up stories -- especially considering how she threatened that her next step might involve shooting Trump and she got picked up at the border with a loaded gun.
                  Because you're claiming that the MSM aren't talking about it, and that's false. Those were just the top six links grabbed off of google on a single search for ricin and assassination plot.

Comment

There is, of course, a world of difference between a brief, one off mention, and the media's usual practice of keeping the latest false anti-Trump "bombshell" as a headline story for a week.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-25-2020, 11:28 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Because you're claiming that the MSM aren't talking about it, and that's false. Those were just the top six links grabbed off of google on a single search for ricin and assassination plot.
                      Don't confuse "ignore" as meaning 'absolutely no coverage'. It's generally a strawman argument.

When someone says the media is "ignoring" something, it means that the amount of coverage is very low.

For example, take the shooting in Kenosha, vs the shooting in Portland. The one in Kenosha got loads more coverage than the portland shooter. Even before the shooter was killed, the scenario got minimal coverage, and not nearly the same amount of attention.

Hence, it was "ignored".

Comment

Um... no. This is what I wrote:

Any attempt on the life of a president should be a major news story, but it only garnered the briefest of mentions on NBC and CBS only mentioned it almost in passing and they spent the majority of the time promoting her demands. ABC could not be bothered to mention either the plot or the arrest of the failed assassin either on air or in print.

Again, please note that I was very explicitly singling out the "Big 3" networks for their lack of coverage.

And also again, if this were any other president, regardless of political party, this would have been, er, "Yuuuge!" Not just some one off story which the outlet can point to in order to show that they did due diligence and actually covered it. There are so many angles to this story that it would have been in the lead stories for over a week

Comment

Again, please note that I was very explicitly singling out the "Big 3" networks for their lack of coverage.
                          Fox, Fifth Network and PBS?

And also again, if this were any other president, regardless of political party, this would have been, er, "Yuuuge!" Not just some one off story which the outlet can point to in order to show that they did due diligence and actually covered it. There are so many angles to this story that it would have been in the lead stories for over a week.
                          A similar equivalent to the two right-wing white supremacists who had planned to shoot Obama. FOX had a breaking story for their arrest, and two follow ups when they were sentenced, and then later complaining how President Obama had authorized evidence being handled in their case.

This news has just broken. Let's see if there's a follow up when she is sentenced. That should about cover the same level.

Seems to me to be a reasonable level.

Comment

Fox, Fifth Network and PBS?

A similar equivalent to the two right-wing white supremacists who had planned to shoot Obama. FOX had a breaking story for their arrest, and two follow ups when they were sentenced, and then later complaining how President Obama had authorized evidence being handled in their case.

This news has just broken. Let's see if there's a follow up when she is sentenced. That should about cover the same level.

Seems to me to be a reasonable level.
                            There is no Fifth and including PBS is a joke.

This is considerably different than talking about assassinating anyone. She actually made an attempt using one of the most powerful poisons out there and was coming to the U.S. with a loaded firearm to finish the job.

No comparison whatsoever.

Comment

There is no Fifth and including PBS is a joke.
                              Who are the big three? I googled “Big three broadcasting”, those were the result.

This is considerably different than talking about assassinating anyone. She actually made an attempt using one of the most powerful poisons out there and was coming to the U.S. with a loaded firearm to finish the job.

No comparison whatsoever.
                              I’d say those white supremacists were equivalent. They had guns and not merely inert ricin.

The gun threat is the serious part. Unlike her the white supremacists had several firearms stashed.

I think you are just biased. But people here will likely agree with you as this is a right-wing forum.

Comment