Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We're Hiring! Get Off That Protest Line and Put in an Application!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Hiring! Get Off That Protest Line and Put in an Application!

I love it!!! I knew I liked this guy (I've met him a couple times) but this is great....

chiefbrown.jpg

“We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,’’ he said. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops. Not enough mental health funding — let the cops handle it. Not enough drug funding — let’s give it to the cops. … The schools fail, give it to the cops. … That’s too much to ask.

“If anything could be done, it needs to be done by our public, which includes the protesters,” Brown said.

“Don’t be a part of the problem. We’re hiring,” the police chief said. “Get out of the protest line and fill out an application.”

Brown was asked about his perspective as not only a black man but as a black cop in Dallas.

“I been black a long time,’’ he quipped to reporters. “It’s my normal to live in this society with a long history of racial strife. It’s a much better place than when I was a young man here.’’
    He went on to say "we'll put you to work in your own neighborhood".

Think about that -- a REAL solution!

Not only will they learn what it's like to be a cop, but they'll be doing "neighborhood policing". And if Chief Brown said it, I believe he means it!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

If more police chiefs were like this guy I don't think we'd be seeing protests like this. He fires bad cops and posts the reason for their dismissal online while having a strong community focus and actively, consistently training his people on how to be better.

One of the bigger, ironic tragedies here is that the shooter picked a police department that looks nothing like the ones he was angry about
    Last edited by Jaecp; 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      If more police chiefs were like this guy I don't think we'd be seeing protests like this. He fires bad cops and posts the reason for their dismissal online while having a strong community focus and actively, consistently training his people on how to be better.

One of the bigger, ironic tragedies here is that the shooter picked a police department that looks nothing like the ones he was angry about
      And, from what I can tell, his men officers have sincere respect for him.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Too bad, according to that WaPo article going around, here, that includes people calling for his resignation after 17% increase in homicide after years of it dropping. Plus various law enforcement unions have bitched every step of the way and I don't see that stopping. The idea that being nicer to the people they protect has, it seems, been lost in the more adversarial policing that grew out of 9/11 and various federal partnerships enacted as a result

Article is basically glowing, otherwise. Everything WaPo mentions him doing is stuff that I've wanted police to be doing ever since I started getting informed on the matter.

How many police chiefs have the stones to work against the good old boys clubs though? In a real sense? How many could actually change, even want to change, the culture as David Brown has? Would be great if it happens, for reals, since just looking at the stats it's damn impressive.
        Last edited by Jaecp; 07-11-2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

From NBC News...

Brown's sensitive, introspective side hasn't gotten much public exposure — not when his former partner was shot on the job, not when his brother was murdered by drug dealers, not when his troubled own son shot and killed two people, including a suburban cop, and was killed himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            From NBC News...

Brown's sensitive, introspective side hasn't gotten much public exposure — not when his former partner was shot on the job, not when his brother was murdered by drug dealers, not when his troubled own son shot and killed two people, including a suburban cop, and was killed himself.
            Wow...

Comment

I love it!!! I knew I liked this guy (I've met him a couple times) but this is great....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16952[/ATTACH]

He went on to say "we'll put you to work in your own neighborhood".

Think about that -- a REAL solution!

Not only will they learn what it's like to be a cop, but they'll be doing "neighborhood policing". And if Chief Brown said it, I believe he means it!
              I have to wonder what the percent of protesters is that would even pass the eligibility requirements to be a police officer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I have to wonder what the percent of protesters is that would even pass the eligibility requirements to be a police officer.
                My police chief said he'd be willing to do a 1 year probation with some of the eligibility requirements waived or softened just to give these guys an opportunity to prove themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post

except BLM was protesting right there in his city. They don't care about fairness or anything other than denigrating police. They were protesting in a city that, as you say, was being run the way they claim police should be acting. Yet they protested anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    except BLM was protesting right there in his city. They don't care about fairness or anything other than denigrating police. They were protesting in a city that, as you say, was being run the way they claim police should be acting. Yet they protested anyway.
                    It's idiocy like that that reveals BLM for who they really are, and may eventually be their undoing.

Comment

It's idiocy like that that reveals BLM for who they really are, and may eventually be their undoing.
                      I wonder how many protestors have changed their minds after being shot at along with the police, while the police tried to protect them. "hands up, don't shoot" didn't stop that sniper, did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I wonder how many protestors have changed their minds after being shot at along with the police, while the police tried to protect them. "hands up, don't shoot" didn't stop that sniper, did it?
                        Local Dallas channel has had some interesting interviews with protesters, and, yes, some of them are seriously reconsidering. As tragic as it was, maybe the good that comes out of the Dallas Ambush will wake some people up -- there is little argument that Chief Brown was trying to do everything right.

In his own testimony, he talks about becoming a police officer and "being put back in my own neighborhood". He saw the value of "community policing", and this is what he claims he will do with any 'protesters turned police recruits' - put them back in their own neighborhoods to make a difference.

Comment

Not with a majority of the media enamored with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Serious question, though: How many of the hardcore protesters are going to be able to pass the police screening process?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Serious question, though: How many of the hardcore protesters are going to be able to pass the police screening process?
                              I think they're obviously going to have to draw the line at some point - no felonies, etc..... but I'm guessing they can overlook some juvenile record (they did in my case ) and non-violent offenses...

I don't really think Brown is appealing to the hardcore protesters, though --- just hoping he can get some "turnaround". (I'm guessing, of course, no inside info)

Comment