Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Is Republican stupidity not enough of an explanation for that?
    You're gonna make me write my Republican representatives AGAIN to tell them I'm voting Independent! ... bunch of cowardly egg sucking yellow spined wishywashy butt kissin.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Is Republican stupidity not enough of an explanation for that?
      "Greed" is the better word, considering that all their donors are for it and all their voters are against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Even in that case, I think it has more to do with politics than economics. But I'm smack dab in the middle of one aspect of it here in Texas, so I admit a definite bias.
        Texas businesses have been using the cheap labor for decades. Never bothered them then.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

In any case, Vox Day has the most correct response:

There is even less question of the connection between blacks and racial violence than American flag T-shirts and racial violence. So, now that we know "concerns of racial violence" supersede the 1st Amendment in public schools, it should be obvious that they must supersede every other Constitutional and legal stricture as well.

That's an incantation to which everyone should learn to resort. "I'm sorry, I fear racial violence on the basis of past problems." It's a free legal pass to restore freedom of association.

In fact, Live Oak High could probably cite this decision in refusing to permit Hispanic students to attend school on Cinco de Mayo. Or, as is more likely the case, white students.
          Guess the Cathedral Left was too distracted by their pro-gay crusade to realize that their pro-Mexican crusade just opened up the same racial loophole they were claiming-except this time you get to cite science and history instead of religion as a motive. Own goal much?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Texas businesses have been using the cheap labor for decades. Never bothered them then.
            Well, yeah, but the politics of the thing has changed --- everybody wants to look like they're saying the right thing to get the most votes. I know some Texas politicians who are concerned our State is going blue.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              "Greed" is the better word, considering that all their donors are for it and all their voters are against it.
              You think Republicans have a lock on "greed"?

Comment

I have not read on this issue recently, but at the time (Cinco de Mayo) I did. The comments pointing out that both sides were clearly in the wrong are very much to the point. This is why I said it is not a matter of freedom but politics. Many of the comment that elaborated on that were spot on. There should have been some preventative steps taken before hand. It is not like no one knew there would be animosity there.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I have not read on this issue recently, but at the time (Cinco de Mayo) I did. The comments pointing out that both sides were clearly in the wrong are very much to the point. This is why I said it is not a matter of freedom but politics. Many of the comment that elaborated on that were spot on. There should have been some preventative steps taken before hand. It is not like no one knew there would be animosity there.
                  I do vaguely remember the controversy when it happened. Yes, I quite agree that steps should have been taken to prevent problems on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Except not only is "Mexican" not a race (in any sense of the word) but Mexico isn't even monoracial, with most people being mixed race mestizo as well as having sizable white and amerindian minorities. Maybe you mean they wanted to express hostility to an inferior invading culture whose members have little interest in assimilating, in which case I fail to see the problem. Mexico is a giant craphole (unless you're an oligarch or well connected drug dealer) and if nobody's gonna conquer it and fix it it should at the very least be contained at its borders.

A more detailed article on the OP:

http://www.volokh.com/2011/11/10/not...n-high-school/

"Our flag"
                    I like how it looked like you were defending against accusations of racism, then you launched into the white supremacist rant. That was the best bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                      There is absolutely nothing wrong with respect, or even love, for one's country. I do not translate my love of country into hatred for other countries, which to my mind would be wrong for me to do.

I'm one of those proud Americans who would gladly buy a round for the Canadian hockey teams for their victories--both teams played excellent games.
                      I thoroughly disagree. However nice the intentions patriotism/nationalism are entered in with, doesn't make it any less poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                        I thoroughly disagree. However nice the intentions patriotism/nationalism are entered in with, doesn't make it any less poison.
                        I'll accept your opinion as valid and important to you. I do disagree, but I feel that two people, of good intent, can disagree and still respect each other's opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                          What makes patriotism "poison"?
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            http://nation.time.com/2014/02/28/sc...campus-safety/

OK, so some students were wearing American Flag t-shirts in a school that is basically 50% American 50% Hispanic.
                            I think it was Cinco de Mayo (May 5th - Mexican Holiday).

The court ruled that the safety of the school outweighed the freedom of the students to exercise their First Amendment rights of free speech.

For Christians, this may also have a "don't use your liberty as a stumbling block" component.

What say ye?
                            Did they take down the American Flag from the flag pole in front of the school?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Did they take down the American Flag from the flag pole in front of the school?
                              Not from what I can tell. But couldn't say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                                I'll accept your opinion as valid and important to you. I do disagree, but I feel that two people, of good intent, can disagree and still respect each other's opinions.
                                Unless, of course, one of them is named "Cow Poke".

Comment