Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

http://nation.time.com/2014/02/28/sc...campus-safety/

OK, so some students were wearing American Flag t-shirts in a school that is basically 50% American 50% Hispanic.
    I think it was Cinco de Mayo (May 5th - Mexican Holiday).

The court ruled that the safety of the school outweighed the freedom of the students to exercise their First Amendment rights of free speech.

For Christians, this may also have a "don't use your liberty as a stumbling block" component.

What say ye?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I believe it makes everyone less safe in the long run. When you back down from bullies that does not make future encounters better. I don't really see this as a freedom issue, it is but a political one. In the short run I can see your "don't use your liberty as a stumbling block" component.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      When you back down from bullies that does not make future encounters better.
      Who were the bullies--those who wanted to celebrate their culture, or those who wanted to be "in your face" in a rejection of that culture?

This is an argument that goes both ways, I fear. In this particular case, perhaps the bullies are present on both sides.

Comment

What kind of asshat wears an American flag t-shirt in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I believe it makes everyone less safe in the long run. When you back down from bullies that does not make future encounters better. I don't really see this as a freedom issue, it is but a political one. In the short run I can see your "don't use your liberty as a stumbling block" component.
          Yes, I agree with this.

I guess I'm confused about what the problem is. Does the American flag offend them? Why? Are July 4th celebrations to be banned soon as well? (I guess this is in the summer, so ) What if some American students are (stupidly) offended by the Cinco de Mayo celebrations?

Our culture just has too thin a skin, methinks. People need to quit being so offendable.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
            Who were the bullies--those who wanted to celebrate their culture, or those who wanted to be "in your face" in a rejection of that culture?

This is an argument that goes both ways, I fear. In this particular case, perhaps the bullies are present on both sides.
            How is wearing an American flag t-shirt a rejection of another culture?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Does the American flag offend them?
              In some cases, the American Flag apparel also goes with slurs such as "Wetback, go home." If that was present in this case, then I don't blame the schools.

Comment

I'm trying to find out if these students ONLY wore the American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo, or if they routinely or frequently wore them.

If they chose to wear them only on Cinco de Mayo, it could be easy to make a case that they were trying to incite conflict. OTOH, it may be a case where they were expressing their patriotism in somewhat of a protest of a "Mexican Holiday" in a US funded school, or something like that.

The case notes that there had been previous violence on the Mexican Holiday at the school, and the video I've seen shows Mexican students waving the Mexican flag.

I'd really like to know more about what was going on in the school, but this is, IMOHBAO, a symptom of our "hyphen-Americanized" society. What happened to the "melting pot"?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In some cases, the American Flag apparel also goes with slurs such as "Wetback, go home." If that was present in this case, then I don't blame the schools.
                  Am I still on ignore in a thread I created in which you are participating?

Yes, if this was a "taunt" or an attempt to start a fight, I think it's definitely a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                    What kind of asshat wears an American flag t-shirt in the first place?
                    A good question, since doing so is technically illegal (though there is no penalty for violating that particular law).

Comment

A good question, since doing so is technically illegal (though there is no penalty for violating that particular law).
                      Here I am about to betray my ignorance again...

I confess I'm not familiar with the law you're referring to.

Comment

I may have an odd view on this.... while there are certainly "tensions" in Texas between Texans and Americans, the VAST majority of us get along just fine. There are "activists" on both sides, and --- yes, I realize this is in Cali, not Texas. But we've had similar issues. We even have "June-teenth" to deal with - an African-American "holiday".

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Here I am about to betray my ignorance again...

I confess I'm not familiar with the law you're referring to.
                          There's a "flag code", but I don't think there are any "laws" on the flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            There's a "flag code", but I don't think there are any "laws" on the flag.
                            Isn't the US flag code technically federal law? I have heard this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                              Isn't the US flag code technically federal law? I have heard this.
                              It's a stipulation of "flag etiquette", with no provision for punishment. More or less, a "guide".

Comment