Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Uh, according to Snopes, yes it was a "special event" recognized by the school:

This case arose out of the events of May 5, 2010, Cinco de Mayo, at Live Oak High School ("Live Oak" or "the School"), part of the Morgan Hill Unified School District in Northern California. The Cinco de Mayo celebration was presented in the "spirit of cultural appreciation." It was described as honoring "the pride and community strength of the Mexican people who settled this valley and who continue to work here." The school likened it to St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest. The material facts are not in dispute.
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...kYtM4wveVzb.99
    The way I read it, there was an event in 2009, not in 2010. I either need more coffee, or less.

Probably more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've got the American flag AND the Texas flag on the front of my house, along with the "We Don't Call 911" sign.
      I served for 21 years under the US flag, so I give it the honor that I was taught that it was due. And in this case, the 9th Circus basically told these kids that they could not wear the shirts because someone ELSE could beat them up...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
        The way I read it, there was an event in 2009, not in 2010. I either need more coffee, or less.

Probably more.
        My wife says she resembles that!!
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Ah ... so a claim that one group is inferior is _not_ a claim that another group is superior. Got it!
          You apparently failed to read the post. He pointed out that ". . . not only is "Mexican" not a race (in any sense of the word) but Mexico isn't even monoracial, . . ." Then went on to point out that it was Mexico that was screwed up not any race - except perhaps the white Mexicans.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

A bit more to the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...flagshirts.asp (Warning: language alert)

It seems the Mexican students are NOT allowed to wear Mexican flags, nor was there any special recognition of Cinco de Mayo by the school.
            Funny at the time there were pictures of "Mexican" students carrying (not wearing) Mexican flags. And yes the school did recognize the event.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yeah, it's just that "other end" of this is "Blame America first".
              Do you think that's my approach? I can't honestly tell. I rarely go for either extreme. Nothing exists in isolation.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Do you think that's my approach? I can't honestly tell. I rarely go for either extreme. Nothing exists in isolation.
                Absolutely not.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely not.
                  Cool.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Funny at the time there were pictures of "Mexican" students carrying (not wearing) Mexican flags. And yes the school did recognize the event.
                    Yes, Bill already pointed that out, at which time I discovered that there was too much blood in my caffeine stream.

Comment

You apparently failed to read the post.
                      I don't read DE's posts. If I want to read posts that glorify white separatism, white superiority, or white supremacy, I know the address to Stormfront.

Comment

ALLAHPUNDIT from Hotair explains nicely why this is so ridiculous:

In other words, a bully can get the principal’s office to silence you by promising to beat your ___ if they don’t.

This is, as Eugene Volokh notes, a classic “heckler’s veto” in that it rewards a violent actor by suppressing the speech that’s irritated him instead of punishing him for being violent. What sort of incentives does that create? If the answer’s not obvious, here’s a snippet from the equal-protection section of the opinion that made my eyes pop. The students who had to take off their stars-and-stripes shirts wanted to know why students wearing shirts with Mexican-flag colors weren’t also asked to take off their shirts. Simple, says the court: No one was threatening to beat them up.
                        As the district court noted, the students offered no
                        evidence “demonstrating that students wearing the colors of
                        the Mexican flag were targeted for violence.” The students
                        offered no evidence that students at a similar risk of danger
                        were treated differently, and therefore no evidence of
                        impermissible viewpoint discrimination.

Because the record demonstrates that the students’ shirts
                        “might reasonably have led school authorities to forecast
                        substantial disruption of or material interference with school
                        activities,” Tinker, 393 U.S. at 514, the authorities’ actions
                        were permissible under Tinker. We reject the students’ equal
                        protection claim.

If you want to make your classmate shut up, you need to credibly threaten violence. That’s how “free speech” works in the nation’s schools. Take a lesson, America.

Comment

I don't read DE's posts. If I want to read posts that glorify white separatism, white superiority, or white supremacy, I know the address to Stormfront.
                          Then it might behoove you to avoid responding to them.

Comment

Then it might behoove you to avoid responding to them.
                            I don't respond to DE's posts. I was responding to your post.

Comment

The court ruled that the safety of the school outweighed the freedom of the students to exercise their First Amendment rights of free speech...
                              What say ye?
                              It means the school administrators are inept.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                                It means the school administrators are inept.
                                Exactly. And all this "zero tolerance" stuff in our schools is a result of our administrators being too cowardly to make good judgement calls.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment