Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    What makes patriotism "poison"?
    Envy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Not from what I can tell. But couldn't say for sure.
      So, one American Flag is ok, but others aren't?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        So, one American Flag is ok, but others aren't?
        I've got the American flag AND the Texas flag on the front of my house, along with the "We Don't Call 911" sign.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
          I like how it looked like you were defending against accusations of racism, then you launched into the white supremacist rant. That was the best bit.
          I don't understand how anyone could possibly get "white supremacy" from my rant, which was clearly arguing for Mexican inferiority. It's particularly bizarre when it's fairly well known that I primarily blame certain white people for much of the unnecessary ethnic strife both in America and other countries with stupid immigration policies. If I was declared World Fuhrer my gulags and gallows would have the ethnic ratio of a Klan convention* the New York Times employee roster.

But hey, if you want to link up race and culture as innately tied to each other, you might as well slap on a Klan hood because it would be a de facto assertion that some races are also inferior.

*please fix strike tags, my posts just aren't the same without them
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Chrs is the unwitting manservant of a globalist cabal that tries to destroy all bonds between people (starting with the family) so that their only loyalty is to mainstream political ideologies (which they control) and impotent deviant political ideologies (which they also mostly control).
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Depends on how it's used. Mostly it reinforces an us vs them mentality and can potentially blind citizens to the ills of their culture.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                I don't understand how anyone could possibly get "white supremacy" from my rant, which was clearly arguing for Mexican inferiority.
                That was my thought exactly when I read his post.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  Depends on how it's used. Mostly it reinforces an us vs them mentality and can potentially blind citizens to the ills of their culture.
                  "Patriotism" worked well for Britain in the 1940's, but that was way before Chrs arrived on the planet, and is why English is not his second language.

(CP is, of course, being facetious. kinda)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    That was my thought exactly when I read his post.
                    Ah ... so a claim that one group is inferior is _not_ a claim that another group is superior. Got it!

Comment

This seems odd to me. Do you have a problem with someone displaying a flag on their house? Or, say, going to a 4th of July party? Or simply saying the words, "I'm proud to be an American"?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                        Ah ... so a claim that one group is inferior is _not_ a claim that another group is superior. Got it!
                        Superiority and supremacy are not the same thing. I could believe "white people" are superior to Mexicans and still not be a white supremacist, though the comparison is bizarre because Mexican isn't a race. And frankly, if I had to pick a superior race it would probably be East Asians (Japanese and Koreans in particular). They have all the benefits of the best white countries with a lot less of the retardation. People like you and Chrs have permanently inoculated me from the possibility of white supremacy. Looks like Idioutis is trying hard to live up to the name I baptized him with.

Comment

A bit more to the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...flagshirts.asp (Warning: language alert)

It seems the Mexican students are NOT allowed to wear Mexican flags, nor was there any special recognition of Cinco de Mayo by the school.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            "Patriotism" worked well for Britain in the 1940's, but that was way before Chrs arrived on the planet, and is why English is not his second language.

(CP is, of course, being facetious. kinda)
                            Patriotism and its corollary, nationalism, have served plenty of countries well in their time. There's a reason I said "depends on how it's used".

This seems odd to me. Do you have a problem with someone displaying a flag on their house? Or, say, going to a 4th of July party? Or simply saying the words, "I'm proud to be an American"?
                            Eh, it needs more fleshing out. The first two are more cultural traditions than necessarily expressions of personal feelings (can be both). The last one can bother me quite a bit, depending on the usage. Post 9/11 the phrase was widely used to the point of "you're not a Real American unless". Cue the Dixie Chicks debacle. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Texas supremacy comments that are basically the same attitude. "Texas could be its own country!" and "we should secede!" get old in a hurry. My sister is probably one of the worst I know. According to her, anything worth seeing exists somewhere in the U.S. Forget the Himalayas or the Alps, we have the Rockies. Forget the Caribbean, we have the Gulf coast. Asia is (and I quote) "probably dirty, probably smells bad, I probably won't like the food and I see no point in going." She has (or did) a Texas flag toothbrush holder, a Texas flag shower curtain and a Texas flag bath rug.

Don't get me wrong. I would hope everyone has affection for their country. Without that, the country will go down the tubes. There's a point where affection turns into fanaticism, and I don't think that's a good thing. That point is closer than you might think, too. I saw that first hand right after 9/11. As I said, it depends on how it's used.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Patriotism and its corollary, nationalism, have served plenty of countries well in their time. There's a reason I said "depends on how it's used".
                              Yeah, it's just that "other end" of this is "Blame America first".

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                                A bit more to the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...flagshirts.asp (Warning: language alert)

It seems the Mexican students are NOT allowed to wear Mexican flags, nor was there any special recognition of Cinco de Mayo by the school.
                                Uh, according to Snopes, yes it was a "special event" recognized by the school:

This case arose out of the events of May 5, 2010, Cinco de Mayo, at Live Oak High School ("Live Oak" or "the School"), part of the Morgan Hill Unified School District in Northern California. The Cinco de Mayo celebration was presented in the "spirit of cultural appreciation." It was described as honoring "the pride and community strength of the Mexican people who settled this valley and who continue to work here." The school likened it to St. Patrick's Day or Oktoberfest. The material facts are not in dispute.
                                Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...kYtM4wveVzb.99
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment