Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    My guess is that they were wrapping themselves in flags to express racism. There being a history of racial violence, plus the given day it occurred, points strongly towards that conclusion. That said, the school's measures were only half of what they needed to be. It shouldn't have been "just cover up the american flags", it should have been "put all that crap away I don't care who you are".
    yeah - restricting the US Flag, while allowing the waving of the Mexican flag on US soil just... yeah.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      yeah - restricting the US Flag, while allowing the waving of the Mexican flag on US soil just... yeah.
      I suspect it had more to do with fears of minority discrimination accusations. It's too bad school administrators can't get through their head how to handle that stuff properly.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
        Then, at least for the latter, I'm an asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
          Then...I'm an asshat.
          Tell us something we didn't know.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I'm familiar with schools making really specific restrictions against specific situations, but usually that has to do with gangs. (I know of one inner city school around here that very specifically bans Scarface insignia). Considering the school probably has a flag on the outside, this one could be more difficult to justify in a legal sense (not to mention that it's obviously a form of political expression, which would seem to be a plus when looking at it from a constitutionality perspective... I've read a lot about court cases with clothing in the schools and I seriously doubt a court would approve of this restriction).
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Comment

Thank you for your kind support. Asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                  There is absolutely nothing wrong with respect, or even love, for one's country. I do not translate my love of country into hatred for other countries, which to my mind would be wrong for me to do.

I'm one of those proud Americans who would gladly buy a round for the Canadian hockey teams for their victories--both teams played excellent games.

Comment

As a police chaplain, I have several cop friends who do their rotation as "school cops" at our local high school. This I know --- High School today ain't NUTHIN like when I was in High School! (I was in High School back during the late 60's / early 70's)

At the heart of this particular situation, of course, is the whole immigration issue that our Country seems incapable of handling.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My guess is that they were wrapping themselves in flags to express racism.
                      Except not only is "Mexican" not a race (in any sense of the word) but Mexico isn't even monoracial, with most people being mixed race mestizo as well as having sizable white and amerindian minorities. Maybe you mean they wanted to express hostility to an inferior invading culture whose members have little interest in assimilating, in which case I fail to see the problem. Mexico is a giant craphole (unless you're an oligarch or well connected drug dealer) and if nobody's gonna conquer it and fix it it should at the very least be contained at its borders.

A more detailed article on the OP:

http://www.volokh.com/2011/11/10/not...n-high-school/

During brunch break on May 5, 2010, another student called Vice–Principal Rodriguez over to a group of Mexican students and said that she was concerned about a group of students wearing the American flag and said that “there might be problems.” Vice–Principal Rodriguez took her statement to mean that there might be some sort of physical altercation. A group of Mexican students also asked Defendant Rodriguez “why do they get to wear their flag when we don’t get to wear our flag?”
                      "Our flag"
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

As a police chaplain, I have several cop friends who do their rotation as "school cops" at our local high school. This I know --- High School today ain't NUTHIN like when I was in High School! (I was in High School back during the late 60's / early 70's)

At the heart of this particular situation, of course, is the whole immigration issue that our Country seems incapable of handling.
                        It's not a matter of capability. The US's potential capabilities far surpass the challenge. Progressive oligarchs (but I repeat myself) want cheap labor and as an added bonus the ethnic strife will keep the plebs busy fighting each other.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          It's not a matter of capability. The US's potential capabilities far surpass the challenge. Progressive oligarchs (but I repeat myself) want cheap labor and as an added bonus the ethnic strife will keep the plebs busy fighting each other.
                          Meh... I think it's more that the Democrats want to stay in power, so they want to legitimize the illegals as soon as they can --- but that's another thread. There are other ways to handle the "cheap labor" aspect.

Comment

Meh... I think it's more that the Democrats want to stay in power, so they want to legitimize the illegals as soon as they can --- but that's another thread. There are other ways to handle the "cheap labor" aspect.
                            That's obviously a factor, but it doesn't explain why Republican aligned business interests are also begging hard for amnesty and have to be constantly whipped into backing away from it.

Comment

That's obviously a factor, but it doesn't explain why Republican aligned business interests are also begging hard for amnesty and have to be constantly whipped into backing away from it.
                              Even in that case, I think it has more to do with politics than economics. But I'm smack dab in the middle of one aspect of it here in Texas, so I admit a definite bias.

Comment

Is Republican stupidity not enough of an explanation for that?
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment