Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School ‘Correct’ to Ban U.S. Flag T-Shirts for Campus Safety

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Anyway, it seems entirely clear that it's possible to wear a flag T-shirt as an inflamatory statement* (given the timing and racial make-up of the community.)

    (* But, as I said, if you wear a t-shirt with or fly a national flag you're kinda a asshat anyway.)

    Comment


    • #17
      Wikipedia says, "This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech."

      Source
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Chrs View Post
        (* But, as I said, if you wear a t-shirt with or fly a national flag you're kinda a asshat anyway.)
        Sounds like the statement of a sore loser.
        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Chrs View Post
          Anyway, it seems entirely clear that it's possible to wear a flag T-shirt as an inflamatory statement* (given the timing and racial make-up of the community.)

          (* But, as I said, if you wear a t-shirt with or fly a national flag you're kinda a asshat anyway.)
          I don't own any flag t-shirts, never have and probably never will. (I'm more likely to wear a heavy metal t-shirt than anything.) But why would flying a national flag make someone an asshat?
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Sounds like the statement of a sore loser.
            Get your icky nationalist crap away from me

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Wikipedia says, "This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech."

              Source
              It HURTS me when you don't TRUST me!

              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's a stipulation of "flag etiquette", with no provision for punishment. More or less, a "guide".
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                Get your icky nationalist crap away from me
                At least my Country isn't shaped like a sock.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It HURTS me when you don't TRUST me!
                  I commented before I saw your comment. Sorry buddy!
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                    Anyway, it seems entirely clear that it's possible to wear a flag T-shirt as an inflamatory statement* (given the timing and racial make-up of the community.)
                    I guess that's what bothers me... if you (they) are "wrapping themselves in the flag" to express racism -- I have a problem with that. I guess it goes to motive. If they were sincerely attempting to show their loyalty, it would, in my opinion, be wiser to do that on a day that couldn't be as easily ascribed to inciting trouble.
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I commented before I saw your comment. Sorry buddy!
                      I know --- i wouldn't pick on ya if I didn't love ya!
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Here I am about to betray my ignorance again...

                        I confess I'm not familiar with the law you're referring to.
                        4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq. The US Flag Code is a set of advisory statutes on the proper uses and treatment of the flag.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                          (* But, as I said, if you wear a t-shirt with or fly a national flag you're kinda a asshat anyway.)
                          Then, at least for the latter, I'm an asshat.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Outis View Post
                            4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq. The US Flag Code is a set of advisory statutes on the proper uses and treatment of the flag.
                            Exactly. And, therefore, not illegal at all, technically or otherwise.

                            Originally posted by Outis View Post
                            A good question, since doing so is technically illegal (though there is no penalty for violating that particular law).
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I guess that's what bothers me... if you (they) are "wrapping themselves in the flag" to express racism -- I have a problem with that. I guess it goes to motive. If they were sincerely attempting to show their loyalty, it would, in my opinion, be wiser to do that on a day that couldn't be as easily ascribed to inciting trouble.
                              My guess is that they were wrapping themselves in flags to express racism. There being a history of racial violence, plus the given day it occurred, points strongly towards that conclusion. That said, the school's measures were only half of what they needed to be. It shouldn't have been "just cover up the american flags", it should have been "put all that crap away I don't care who you are".
                              I'm not here anymore.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Chrs View Post
                                What kind of asshat wears an American flag t-shirt in the first place?
                                apparently someone who doesn't like dressing up like a cat.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seer, Today, 05:31 PM
                                2 responses
                                16 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seer
                                by seer
                                 
                                Started by seer, Yesterday, 08:35 AM
                                19 responses
                                166 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 06-10-2021, 09:38 AM
                                48 responses
                                353 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Littlejoe  
                                Started by rogue06, 06-10-2021, 09:07 AM
                                14 responses
                                69 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post oxmixmudd  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 06-10-2021, 05:22 AM
                                34 responses
                                225 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Working...
                                X