Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

BREXIT is happening - what's it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    maybe they can have a do-over.

Of course, they haven't actually left the EU yet. It will take a long time to actually accomplish that.
    Yeah, and Germany is considering pushing "constructive exit negotiations".

France, the Netherlands, Austria, Finland and Hungary could leave.

Front National leader Marine Le Pen has pledged to hold a French referendum if she emerges victorious in next year's presidential elections.

While for the past two months a Nexit has been on the cards after Dutch voters overwhelmingly rejected a Ukraine-European Union treaty

Details of Berlin's concerns were outlined in a finance ministry strategy document.

Angela Merkel's country faces having to pay an extra £2.44billion a year to the annual EU budget once Britain has left.

Fears for the future of the EU have prompted German government officials to propose that Britain is offered “constructive exit negotiations”.

I think where the EU screwed up was that it started out being sold as the ability to negotiate trade, etc, but evolved into Big Brother, coming up with silly rules and laws, and trying to control everybody's lives. It seems it should be possible to renegotiate the role of Brussels in the affairs of the EU members.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think where the EU screwed up was that it started out being sold as the ability to negotiate trade, etc, but evolved into Big Brother, coming up with silly rules and laws, and trying to control everybody's lives. It seems it should be possible to renegotiate the role of Brussels in the affairs of the EU members.
      My understanding is that one of the fatal flaws was implementing rules for entry which weren't enforced. A lot of the economic troubles stem from this. Many countries were let in that shouldn't have been.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        My understanding is that one of the fatal flaws was implementing rules for entry which weren't enforced. A lot of the economic troubles stem from this. Many countries were let in that shouldn't have been.
        Yeah, I heard a Brit talking about the fact that they (this particular person, of course) works 40-50 hours a week, as do many of his colleagues, and they have to support countries where people only work 30 hours a week or spend half the year (sure that's an exaggeration) on vacation.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          France is threatening a Frexit, and Czech is considering a Czexit.

Reminds me of the time people added -gate to all controversies.
          When did they stop?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, I heard a Brit talking about the fact that they (this particular person, of course) works 40-50 hours a week, as do many of his colleagues, and they have to support countries where people only work 30 hours a week or spend half the year (sure that's an exaggeration) on vacation.
            I'm sure that happens, but that's not what I meant. I'm referring to relative economic health of the country applying for membership. Hours per work week aren't the driver of that.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment