Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Do Liberals Keep Trying To Control Speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    No, I have little stomach conscientious objectors. Never mind the fact that many of these same people were waiting for us when we got off the plane at San Francisco International Airport and spit on us and called us baby killers. We were so embarrassed we got out of uniforms as soon as we could. And BTW - half of that plane was filled with walking wounded.
    You do not recognize and respect the right of conscience?
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      You do not recognize and respect the right of conscience?
      I don't respect cowards. There are a handful of conscientious objectors I do respect though, here is one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        The Supreme Court ruled in his favor, right?
        They never really ruled on the merits of the case, they ruled on a technically. Ali was found guilty of a felony which was upheld by the Appeals Court.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I don't buy Ail's excuse, a man who would go into the ring and beat his black brothers half to death.
          No one forced the other guy to put the set of gloves of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            No one forced the other guy to put the set of gloves of.

?????

Comment

I don't respect cowards. There are a handful of conscientious objectors I do respect though, here is one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
              So you do recognize and respect the right of conscience. But do you feel that you are the custodian of the conscience of another, eg, of Muhammad Ali?

Comment

?????
                The guys that got into the ring with him made a choice to do it. Your government asking you to shoot strangers, or you ending up jail, is something entirely different.

Comment

They never really ruled on the merits of the case, they ruled on a technically. Ali was found guilty of a felony which was upheld by the Appeals Court.
                  So why do you imagine that he was not imprisoned for his crime?
                  Last edited by robrecht; 06-10-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                    The guys that got into the ring with him made a choice to do it. Your government asking you to shoot strangers, or you ending up jail, is something entirely different.

But Ali's whole objection was that he was a man of peace. He wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      But Ali's whole objection was that he was a man of peace. He wasn't.
                      Again, do you have a religious or moral or other personal objection to the sport of bxing?

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        So you do recognize and respect the right of conscience. But do you feel that you are the custodian of the conscience of another, eg, of Muhammad Ali?

No, I just question their motives. Is it really conscious or are they simply cowards? The Military does (or did) make exceptions for conscientious objectors - Ali could have been a medic like Desmond Dross. Over the years there have been a lot of conscientious objectors that served bravely as medics.

Comment

So why do you imagine that he was not imprisoned for his crime?
                          A lot of money and appeals. And let's face it the war was getting less and less popular - so politics probably played a role.

Comment

Again, do you have a religious or moral or other personal objection to the sport of boxing?
                            Nope, but I'm not claiming that my religion prevents me from fighting.

Comment

No, I just question their motives. Is it really conscious or are they simply cowards? The Military does (or did) make exceptions for conscientious objectors - Ali could have been a medic like Desmond Dross. Over the years there have been a lot of conscientious objectors that served bravely as medics.
                              Make up your mind. Are you accusing him of being a coward or are you merely questioning his motives? Assuming you never had the courage or opportunity to do either to his face, do you know of anyone else who had such courage or opportunity while he was alive? If so, what was the result?

Comment

Nope, but I'm not claiming that my religion prevents me from fighting.
                                So are you imagining that Ali's Muslim faith should have prevented him from participating in the sport of boxing???

Comment