Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dalai Lama: ...Germany, cannot become an Arab country...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalai Lama: ...Germany, cannot become an Arab country...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/...oing-to-europe

Source: Stuff.co.nz

The Dalai Lama has reportedly said "too many" refugees are seeking asylum in Europe.

"Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country," he said with a laugh, according to AFP, which quoted from an interview the spiritual leader gave to Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, a German newspaper.

"Germany is Germany. There are so many that in practice it becomes difficult."

It was an unexpected extension of sympathy for a sentiment that has found fertile ground mostly among nationalist groups. The Dalai Lama, who often speaks of humanity's need to acknowledge its "oneness", is a refugee himself. After Tibetans rose up against Chinese limitations on their autonomy in 1959, the current (and 14th) Dalai Lama led tens of thousands of his followers to India, where they and their descendants have lived since. An estimated 120,000 Tibetans live in India, and those born in the country can vote.

"From a moral point of view, too, I think that the refugees should only be admitted temporarily," the Dalai Lama said.

The bulk of Arab refugees he was referencing are fleeing Syria's brutal and seemingly endless civil war, and its spillover into Iraq. But the truth is that the vast majority of those refugees are not seeking asylum in Europe, but in Turkey and two other Arab-majority countries, Lebanon and Jordan. Germany is a country of 80 million people and has accepted just over 1 million refugees. Before the war in next-door Syria, Lebanon had a population of more than 4 million people. It has since taken in well over a million Syrians.

Beyond the skepticism, the Dalai Lama did convey his characteristic compassion.

"When we look into the face of every single refugee, especially the children and women, we can feel their suffering," he said.

"The goal should be that they return and help rebuild their countries."

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Identity constructs are important to human beings...and such constructs should be respected--no doubt---but, is it necessary for such identity-constructs to be tied to a geographic area/territory? Would a Canadian stop being Canadian simply because he moves to a location outside of Canada?---unless being Canadian is only about citizenship and nothing else.....?.....

In a globalizing world---do we need to re-evaluate our identity-constructs based on some arbitrary lines on a map...?....Is a "Syrian" a German because they get citizenship?...or are they forever non-German---even after generations of being in Germany---and who decides?...

Religious identity is determined by a person voluntarily choosing to accept the premises/paradigms, rituals and values of a group. It does not need to be confined to a particular territory---and one could even say that such identity-constructs are inherently global/non-territorial.....

"The goal should be that they return and help rebuild their countries."---return?....or is it possible to think that the goal should be that all human beings help together to rebuild destroyed lands---because the earth belongs to God and as his Trustees---this is our responsibility?

Comment

I am an immigrant to New Zealand.....try as I might, I will never become Maori. Even though I have given up my South African citizenship and have New Zealand citizenship, I will always be a South African. That is my cultural heritage, even though I have embraced the New Zealand culture.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment