Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Go To Church: Live Longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go To Church: Live Longer

Isn't that special!

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) — Many Americans say they attend church because it helps them stay grounded and gives them spiritual guidance. A new study suggests that regular attendance may also help increase their lifespan.

Researchers looked at data on nearly 75,000 middle-age female nurses in the United States as part of the Nurses’ Health Study. The participants answered questions about whether they attended religious services regularly every four years between 1992 and 2012, and about other aspects of their lives over the years.

The researchers found that women who went to church more than once a week had a 33% lower risk of dying during the study period compared with those who said they never went. Less-frequent attendance was also associated with a lower risk of death, as women who attended once a week or less than weekly had 26% and 13% lower risk of death, respectively.

Women who regularly attended religious services also had higher rates of social support and optimism, had lower rates of depression and were less likely to smoke. However, the researchers took into account these differences between churchgoers and non-churchgoers when they calculated the decrease in death rates of 13% to 33%. http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...er-study-says/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Isn't that special!
    … for nurses!
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      … for nurses!
      Nurses are people.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        … for nurses!

Then I'm going to self-identify as a nurse! I feel better already...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

To Kirk, live long and prosper.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Then I'm going to self-identify as a nurse! I feel better already...
            Male or female? Or is that yet to be determined.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually this is something we talked about in Nursing school extensively and its been long proven and well known that those who have some kind of spiritual ideology to cling to, whether its simple prayer or ideas of a higher calling or purpose in life to regular religious practices tend to live longer healthier lives and even survive longer and lead more productive lives during terminal illness as opposed to those who do not. The books we used as an academic resource were Lippincott and Williams and published by Pearson Vue's medical branch which holds the NCLEX testing sites. Part of what we were coached on in our supportive roles was to encourage those who held spiritual practices was to be in touch with their personal practices, religious members, family etc....
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Male or female? Or is that yet to be determined.
                I think females live longer - so I'm a chick! But I am attracted girls - so I will identify as a lesbian nurse trapped in a man's body!

Comment

I think females live longer - so I'm a chick! But I am attracted girls - so I will identify as a lesbian nurse trapped in a man's body!
                  I was trapped in a woman's body for 9 months. Then I was born.

Comment

Seer....STOP IT!!!
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      To Kirk, live long and prosper.
                      He doesn't go to church, so I'd guess he won't.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Could it be that they just generally live less reckless lifestyles?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          Seer....STOP IT!!!
                          Sorry, it's not easy being me...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Could it be that they just generally live less reckless lifestyles?
                            I think there is something medicable in hope...

Comment

well if you think about it, nurses have a very high stress job and have to watch patients die and all that. So church provides a stress relief and comfort by others. Less stress = longer life.

Comment