Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Concealed Handguns in Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think any church in New Zealand has a gun policy, and that's got a lot to do with the fact that unless you belong to a pistol shooting club, you can't get a licence for a handgun, and it's pretty hard to carry a concealed rifle.

As for knives....we did have an incident when a young gang member did bring a knife to church. Our worship leader Tevita (a big Tongan chap) saw it and took it off of him. When the cops arrived they chatted to Tevita and the young man and his social worker (who happens to also be a member of our church) before taking the youngster off to jail for the night. most of the Church had no idea that anything had happened.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I don't think any church in New Zealand has a gun policy, and that's got a lot to do with the fact that unless you belong to a pistol shooting club, you can't get a licence for a handgun, and it's pretty hard to carry a concealed rifle.

As for knives....we did have an incident when a young gang member did bring a knife to church. Our worship leader Tevita (a big Tongan chap) saw it and took it off of him. When the cops arrived they chatted to Tevita and the young man and his social worker (who happens to also be a member of our church) before taking the youngster off to jail for the night. most of the Church had no idea that anything had happened.
      WAY too civil and normal!
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-16-2016, 05:03 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        WAY to civil and normal!
        "too"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          "too"

That's what I said!!!!

Hey, who put that "edit" comment on my post!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            I did. Because your comment about safety in schools was in the context of this earlier post from you:Your attempt to avoid responsibility for not acknowledging that the rest of the world does not have the level of gun violence found in South Africa and the Americas by pretending you were not specifically talking about gun attacks is exposed as a bait-and switch.
            Ok, fair point, I was originally talking guns since we were in a Gun thread...but safety does span more than just guns. My exact post was
            Originally posted by Littlejoe
            I think it's crazy we have to do that to insure our children's safety, but I think it's a good idea in todays world
            I was focusing on the safety of children more broadly when I responded with "the world"...I'm sorry you didn't follow my (disjointed) logic chain there since you were (rightfully) focusing on the guns part of it...but I wasn't purposefully doing a bait and switch there. I felt I was expanding my argument to include safety for children.
            It's not a tu quoque. It's a misrepresentation of his original argument.
            No, it had nothing to do with his argument... the point I made was in direct response to your comment about the americas, not to Carrikature.
            And the knife violence is very real in the UK. This article here written just a year and a-half ago says that knife violence in the UK is twice the rate of gun violence in the US.
            Source: countercurrentnews.com

In the UK, the rate of knife violence is approximately one in every 374 people victimized, compared with a rate of one in 750 people victimized by gun violence in the United States.

© Copyright Original Source

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              In response to my comment about safety in schools "...in today's world" He responded "only in the Americas" with at link to Handgun violence. This point was that guns aren't the only weapon of choice in schools so armed guards at schools in other countries might be warranted. How is that tu quoque?
              In the context of gun problems in America, pointing to knife problems in the UK reads as tu quoque to me. Subsequent posts have shown there were communication problems, though, so whatever.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                And the knife violence is very real in the UK. This article here written just a year and a-half ago says that knife violence in the UK is twice the rate of gun violence in the US.
                Source: countercurrentnews.com

In the UK, the rate of knife violence is approximately one in every 374 people victimized, compared with a rate of one in 750 people victimized by gun violence in the United States.

© Copyright Original Source

I think it's worth pointing out that 'weapon of choice' is not relevant to 'rate of crime'. The two are distinct issues.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment