Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Back Door Attack On Gun Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Door Attack On Gun Rights

And in my state no less

A Connecticut judge on Thursday rejected a motion to dismiss a lawsuit against the maker of a gun used in a 2012 elementary-school shooting that killed 20 children and six adults, the Hartford Courant reports.

Under the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), gun-makers are not liable for crimes committed with their products.

However, in a blow to the maker of the Bushmaster AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, Judge Barbara Bellis ruled that law wasn't enough to have the case thrown out at this early stage, according to the Courant.http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-...NfMQRzZWMDc2M-
    The fact is, the Bushmaster AR-15 was perfectly legal under state law and federal law at the time. This argument makes no sense - can we then sue car makers if someone deliberately runs over a bunch of people?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    This argument makes no sense - can we then sue car makers if someone deliberately runs over a bunch of people?
    Victims of a drunk driver should now be allowed to sue the company that manufactured the car he was driving. It's the exact same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Victims of a drunk driver should now be allowed to sue the company that manufactured the car he was driving. It's the exact same situation.
      It is, and it is irrational. But the libtarts will find courts that will support them - and I don't trust the Supreme Court anymore.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

when reading the thread title I got to wondering...

How long before they decide that since they can't outlaw guns, they will just outlaw bullets. No bullets and guns are useless. There isn't a constitutional amendment for bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

How long before they decide that since they can't outlaw guns, they will just outlaw bullets. No bullets and guns are useless. There isn't a constitutional amendment for bullets.
          Wasn't it Jocelyn Elders that said "we can make safer bullets"?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Wasn't it Jocelyn Elders that said "we can make safer bullets"?
            don't know. probably. Her or Nancy Pelosi

Comment

Jocelyn Elders.

https://youtu.be/rqbB4kFtVZU

It's the last half of the clip. The first half of the clip is pretty silly, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                It is, and it is irrational. But the libtarts will find courts that will support them - and I don't trust the Supreme Court anymore.
                And then lawyers will start using this same precedence for other cases, thus will get out of control. So hopefully it will backfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

IIRC, several years back they tried working that angle wanting to pass laws limiting the number of bullets one could purchase and requiring a license to do so, or something like that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I quote Sarge, from Red vs. Blue: "I think it would be ironic if our guns didn't shoot bullets, but instead squirted a healing salve that cured all wounds."

Why has nobody thought of this before?
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I quote Sarge, from Red vs. Blue: "I think it would be ironic if our guns didn't shoot bullets, but instead squirted a healing salve that cured all wounds."

or beer. Beer would be better. Because then it would get your enemy drunk and you all can get together and sing songs and have a party.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

As an aside, it's a rare quote from RvB that wouldn't need to be moderated around here.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment