Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Military downsizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Here's the breakdown of the Defense budget from 1962 to present. Veterans' benefits are not included, since they are technically not part of Defense spending and are located elsewhere on the budget (but account for 3.5% of the total):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334[/ATTACH]
    Attachment doesn't work.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Attachment doesn't work.
      Clicking through worked for me but here's the source article from Wonkblog. Referenced chart is under Heading 3).
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Clicking through worked for me but here's the source article from Wonkblog. Referenced chart is under Heading 3).
        Thanks.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding how this is relevant.
          If it were your head on the chopping block, like mine is, then it'd be relevant, I can assure you.

If we approach our economy with the focus of ensuring jobs for as many people as possible, we'd be better off letting the government hire everybody.
          It's not about ensuring jobs for as many people as possible. It is constructively reducing the force through attrition and smarter early retirement. What is being planned is a swift axe to a large group of people.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            If it were your head on the chopping block, like mine is, then it'd be relevant, I can assure you.

It's not about ensuring jobs for as many people as possible. It is constructively reducing the force through attrition and smarter early retirement. What is being planned is a swift axe to a large group of people.
            What is the difference between paying people to do something useless (contracts) and paying them to do nothing in particular (welfare)?
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Isn't the gross misallocation of Pentagon funds the 1000 pound gorilla in the room? How could you think about cutting defense spending when trillions in spending is unaccounted for since the 90s?

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure. I don't approach these things from a personal point of view. I don't vote a certain way because of how it affects my job prospects. Every decision, every policy affects jobs. My job is pretty tightly tied to the economy, though in a different way. Sometimes right decisions are going to hurt, and they may hurt me personally. That doesn't make them wrong decisions. There are a lot of policies I would recommend that would be very likely to hurt me, but I still consider them important and necessary.

Then show how a swift axe is somehow incompatible with constructively reducing the force. While I support the idea, attrition and earlier retirement are long-term actions that aren't likely to significantly affect today's goals. It's not an either/or.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                What is the difference between paying people to do something useless (contracts) and paying them to do nothing in particular (welfare)?
                Precisely.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                  I know. And take a chunk of money out of the economy. But if it doesn't serve an actual military purpose, why are we doing it as part of the military? Why take the people's money through the government, instead of leaving it with the job creators?
                  The job creators are doing their best to create jobs elsewhere.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    The job creators are doing their best to create jobs elsewhere.
                    That's not how I'd phrase it; I suspect that the motivation of many people whom you identify as job creators are more immediately concerned with their own welfare than with the welfare of their current or potential employees. That's not to say that they never take it into account, but that economic self-interest most often takes precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      I'm a contractor. I can guarantee you that what I do is not useless. Are you suggesting otherwise?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm a contractor. I can guarantee you that what I do is not useless. Are you suggesting otherwise?
                        I'm just going based on what other people have said on this thread. Even if it's not totally useless, it's not the best use of public funds. We don't need to spend nearly so much as we do on defense spending.

Even that aside, a single mother who is collecting welfare to raise her child(ren) is even further from useless.

Comment

If what you do is not useless, how exactly is your head on the chopping block? The major cuts are in active duty personnel, freezes to military pay, and housing costs. Retasking and retirement of aircraft is another big area. Hagel already addressed reformatting civilian personnel, and specifically said that the focus will be on employee compensation instead.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure. I don't approach these things from a personal point of view. I don't vote a certain way because of how it affects my job prospects. Every decision, every policy affects jobs. My job is pretty tightly tied to the economy, though in a different way. Sometimes right decisions are going to hurt, and they may hurt me personally. That doesn't make them wrong decisions. There are a lot of policies I would recommend that would be very likely to hurt me, but I still consider them important and necessary.
                            There are a number of ways to accomplish what needs to be done. What is being suggested is not the right way.

Then show how a swift axe is somehow incompatible with constructively reducing the force.
                            Where will those who get the axe go for a job? Competition for existing jobs that will meet a family's requirements is pretty stiff right now.

While I support the idea, attrition and earlier retirement are long-term actions that aren't likely to significantly affect today's goals. It's not an either/or.
                            Early retirement worked pretty well in Clinton's reign. And the sheer number that are close to eligible makes it a pretty attractive short-term solution. By 2016, more than a third of the federal workforce will be eligible to retire, according to the Government Accountability Office.
                            Last edited by Bill the Cat; 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

If what you do is not useless, how exactly is your head on the chopping block? The major cuts are in active duty personnel, freezes to military pay, and housing costs. Retasking and retirement of aircraft is another big area. Hagel already addressed reformatting civilian personnel, and specifically said that the focus will be on employee compensation instead.
                              There is a certain amount of discretion by the Army to eliminate contracts. Since I work in IT, which is not revenue-generating, I am an easy target.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There are a number of ways to accomplish what needs to be done. What is being suggested is not the right way.
                                I doubt there's any such thing as the right way, and I rather doubt Hagel and his staff haven't considered these other ways.

Where will those who get the axe go for a job? Competition for existing jobs that will meet a family's requirements is pretty stiff right now.
                                There are two parts to this. In the first place, worrying about where those who will need jobs will find them is beyond Hagel's (or anybody's) ability to accommodate. Second, the issue of available jobs is one that's much bigger than any cuts the DoD may be making. There's an extreme disconnect between personnel training, economic/industrial needs, and work force availability. We simply don't need as many people working, and the ones that are needed have the wrong training. That's true across the board, and it's one (of many) reasons that jobs are such a problem. Even so, both of these reasons are why I made the comment that cutting thousands of jobs isn't terribly relevant. One way or another, there will be personnel cuts. That's unavoidable.

Early retirement worked pretty well in Clinton's reign. And the sheer number that are close to eligible makes it a pretty attractive short-term solution. By 2016, more than a third of the federal workforce will be eligible to retire, according to the Government Accountability Office.
                                Eligibility to retire is not the same as being able to afford retirement. You're not just talking about pushing early retirement, but about cutting the retirement benefits that they've been counting on. If it's truly a good quick fix, I'd be all for it. I doubt it's as simple as that. For that matter, you're trading unemployment for increased costs in social welfare (medical, for example).

There is a certain amount of discretion by the Army to eliminate contracts. Since I work in IT, which is not revenue-generating, I am an easy target.
                                This isn't new, though. What's been announced is partially budget cuts but more reduction of overhead costs. By your own admission, what you do is not useless. IT might be considered an easy target by some, but how realistic is that really? Those needs will be increasing, if anything.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment