Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Liberal Facism Boys And Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Isn't it a suspension, not an outright firing?
    Yes, but the suspension is only over when he writes the letter of apology and agrees that his suspension was warranted.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Why was it wrong to mention the teachers name? And where did he misrepresent anything?
      Unfortunately, employers can monitor your social network posts and hold you responsible for what you post.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        I don't think this has anything to do with power. I think this is just how most people function a la "either you agree with me or you're an idiot".
        You can think that if you want, but if you do you are an idiot!

J/K

There is a difference in thinking someone is an idiot for not agreeing with you and actively trying to shut them up by accusing them of something immoral and/or illegal, or even trying to MAKE their opinion illegal.
        That takes power. And an abuse of it.

For example, if you don't like something I say, you can call me an idiot or argue against me all you want, but that is about it. If I, as owner of tweb, don't like something you say, I could make up some arbitrary rule against that being discussed on tweb and then ban you for breaking it if you expressed it again. That would be an abuse of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You can think that if you want, but if you do you are an idiot!

J/K

There is a difference in thinking someone is an idiot for not agreeing with you and actively trying to shut them up by accusing them of something immoral and/or illegal, or even trying to MAKE their opinion illegal.
          That takes power. And an abuse of it.

For example, if you don't like something I say, you can call me an idiot or argue against me all you want, but that is about it. If I, as owner of tweb, don't like something you say, I could make up some arbitrary rule against that being discussed on tweb and then ban you for breaking it if you expressed it again. That would be an abuse of power.
          I think we might have some miscommunication here. I don't disagree with any of this. I took you to be saying that the 'only my opinion is valid' mindset is an outcome of power, and that's what I was disagreeing with. Sorry for any confusion.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            Isn't it a suspension, not an outright firing?
            We've had employees that 'left the company'. They were given an ultimatum of 'you move to a different office or you leave', and it was pretty clearly known that moving wasn't going to be an option. It's a backhanded way to pretend you weren't forcing them out.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Unfortunately, employers can monitor your social network posts and hold you responsible for what you post.
              Yeah, I'm definitely not ok with that turn of events. It's not really as if potential clients are going to be searching you on facebook or w/e.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Why was it wrong to mention the teachers name? And where did he misrepresent anything?
                From the school's perspective, the professor had a history of naming students when discussing specific events he disagreed with, resulting in those students being harassed. The school considers his version of this most recent event misrepresentative of the situation. Specifics include the student dropping the class because of the conversation (he dropped because he had a low grade), the department chair ignoring the issue (she met with people until it was resolved), the issue not ending amicably (the student has no problem with how it was handled), omitting the fact that the professor discussed gay rights in the next class, etc. You can read the letter from the Dean here.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  From the school's perspective, the professor had a history of naming students when discussing specific events he disagreed with, resulting in those students being harassed. The school considers his version of this most recent event misrepresentative of the situation. Specifics include the student dropping the class because of the conversation (he dropped because he had a low grade), the department chair ignoring the issue (she met with people until it was resolved), the issue not ending amicably (the student has no problem with how it was handled), omitting the fact that the professor discussed gay rights in the next class, etc. You can read the letter from the Dean here.
                  Frankly, if there's a real problem here, it's in the bolded.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So this professor is going to be fired for defending the free expression of a student. When are you good liberals going to see what is happening, that many on your side are in fact practicing the clear suppression of speech and ideas. Does this sit well with you?
                    He's being suspended, not fired, and he is being suspended, not for defending the students rights, but for the way in which he went about it. Whether you agree with it or not, at least get your facts right.

Comment

Yeah, I'm definitely not ok with that turn of events. It's not really as if potential clients are going to be searching you on facebook or w/e.
                      But potential employers do that nowadays, so it is wise to be prudent of expressing too strong of an opinion or being too wild on your social media if you are looking for a job. Then again, you can use that to your advantage by puffing up your facebook page with posts and articles that a potential employer might find impressive and favorable.

My solution is to keep my facebook privacy set so that only my friends can see my posts, and I even have a separate category for work friends, so that anyone from work is excluded from reading most of my posts, unless I specifically add them to the list. And I don't even do twitter. I gave up on that a couple of years ago, after my account kept getting hacked over and over by spammers. I had excellent passwords but it kept getting hacked anyway. Twitter has lousy security apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        He's being suspended, not fired, and he is being suspended, not for defending the students rights, but for the way in which he went about it. Whether you agree with it or not, at least get your facts right.
                        he was being suspended while they are working on removing his tenure and firing him. Which they did apparently:

Marquette’s administration (most prominently Arts & Sciences Dean Richard Holz) sided with our attackers, and suspended us in December. So it was no particular surprise when, last Friday, our lawyer received a letter from Holz – addressed to us – saying:

Therefore, in accord with Section 307.03, we are commencing as of this date the procedures for revoking your tenure and dismissing you from the faculty.
                        http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2015/...ere-going.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          But potential employers do that nowadays, so it is wise to be prudent of expressing too strong of an opinion or being too wild on your social media if you are looking for a job. Then again, you can use that to your advantage by puffing up your facebook page with posts and articles that a potential employer might find impressive and favorable.

My solution is to keep my facebook privacy set so that only my friends can see my posts, and I even have a separate category for work friends, so that anyone from work is excluded from reading most of my posts, unless I specifically add them to the list. And I don't even do twitter. I gave up on that a couple of years ago, after my account kept getting hacked over and over by spammers. I had excellent passwords but it kept getting hacked anyway. Twitter has lousy security apparently.
                          I know they do that. I don't do any social media stuff, so I don't have to worry about it.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I know they do that. I don't do any social media stuff, so I don't have to worry about it.
                            I only joined facebook to keep in touch with family mostly and some friends who moved away. Then twebbers joined my friends, and some co-workers, and bam, I was entrapped. I mostly post silly stuff, but some political stuff. Nothing controversial unless I was going to try to get a job at some very liberal company who doesn't like conservatives, but that is one category that I don't include the work group on.

Comment