Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are your religious liberties being threatened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your religious liberties being threatened?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-em...b_1845413.html

A lot of you won't be able to answer the questions with the options offered. After all, it's not actually a "quiz," it's a lesson on telling when threats to your religious liberty are actually happening.

derp
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

A classic either/or fallacy with leading questions. Well, that should tell us how serious such a 'questionnaire' should be taken.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The author nowhere offers a definition of religious liberty as such. There is no reference to the 1st Amendment nor to 1st Amendment jurisprudence. Given how much you love to cite Supreme Court precedents, Outis, I'm surprised you're pretending they don't exist here.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          The author nowhere offers a definition of religious liberty as such. There is no reference to the 1st Amendment nor to 1st Amendment jurisprudence. Given how much you love to cite Supreme Court precedents, Outis, I'm surprised you're pretending they don't exist here.
          You're thinking such a 'quiz' is designed to tell you anything beyond just a bunch of insults directed at people whom you disagree with, where you ask misleading questions, with only two answers, ignore all positions in-between that can and do exist, and pretend you made a meaningful statement. It might as well be, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" asked 10 different ways.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            You're thinking such a 'quiz' is designed to tell you anything beyond just a bunch of insults directed at people whom you disagree with, where you ask misleading questions, with only two answers, ignore all positions in-between that can and do exist, and pretend you made a meaningful statement. It might as well be, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" asked 10 different ways.
            I don't have particularly high standards for HuffPo, nor do most intelligent people. My intention is to hold Outis up to his own usual standards when discussing legal matters.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Outis ... standards
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

We could be in a totalitarian theocracy where non-Christians have to worship in secret and some Christians would still feel like the government and society is unfair to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  We could be in a totalitarian theocracy where non-Christians have to worship in secret and some Christians would still feel like the government and society is unfair to them.
                  Too bad what we actually live in is a society in which liberals can drive "racists" and "misogynists" out of work, business and home whereas refusing to sell one a cake results in the full might of the state coming after you.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Too bad what we actually live in is a society in which liberals can drive "racists" and "misogynists" out of work, business and home whereas refusing to sell one a cake results in the full might of the state coming after you.
                    So you're against the free market AND anti-discrimination laws. It seems like you wouldn't be happy unless only your view was mandated! You're the type of person who should be reading the article in the OP.

Comment

So you're against the free market AND anti-discrimination laws. It seems like you wouldn't be happy unless only your view was mandated! You're the type of person who should be reading the article in the OP.
                      LOL anti-discrimination laws are already opposed to the free market. You are against religious liberties and are only happy when YOUR view is mandated.

That was easy.
                      The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

So you're against the free market AND anti-discrimination laws. It seems like you wouldn't be happy unless only your view was mandated!
                        I'm against systems stacked in favor of liberalism. Right now it's the free market when it comes to persecuting anti-liberals and anti-discrimination laws when it comes to persecuting liberals. I'd even settle for choosing one over the other and applying it consistently, but right now it's your view that is mandated, so obviously I'm not happy.

You're the type of person who should be reading the article in the OP.
                        I've read the article in the OP. It's pure garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                          LOL anti-discrimination laws are already opposed to the free market. You are against religious liberties and are only happy when YOUR view is mandated.

That was easy.
                          Big amen to this DeeDee

Comment

Article written by the "Reverend Emily C. Heath"

it's not actually a "quiz," it's a lesson on telling when threats to your religious liberty are actually happening.
                            Before I take this quiz, I need to be clear on whether this thing is a man, a woman, or otherkin.

Comment

When it's appropriate to discuss something in the context of court decisions, I do so. When it's not appropriate, I do not. Unless you've suddenly developed a penchant for mind-reading, do not presume to know what I think.

Comment