Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are your religious liberties being threatened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do mean it jerk. At least you admit it was a mistake. I have much more respect for that.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      I didn't say anti-discrimination laws are free market. That makes no sense. When someone isn't hired or is fired because of a non-liberal viewpoint or a business is boycotted because of a non-liberal corporate stance, that's just the free market working. Nobody is being persecuted.
      Free market and persecution are not mutually exclusive. And if that is the case then not hiring or firing someone for being black isn't persecution either.

Having a tattoo is a choice. I don't think that should warrant a protected class.
      I don't think anything should warrant a protected class, choice or no choice.

It's not really a quiz, it's more a thought exercise highlighting the problem that when a group in power loses its special privileges and is put on equal footing to everyone else, that group sees persecution.
      It's a stupid article written by an overprivileged liberal hack. The only group in power are liberals, and they lie relentlessly about how their increasing privilege is actually "equality".
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

DE you are scaring me. We are agreeing too much.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          Hardly its only mistake.
          I cannot agree that religious freedom is a mistake. The constitution, however, does NOT grant privileges for religious liberties.

It's not as if you mean any of that. You're not sorry, and he's not hating. You're just trying to pump out a reaction. Why are you trolling, Deeds?
          Because, just as with the whites of the South in the 1950s to the 1970s, Dee Dee evidently sees the loss of exclusive privilege as some form of "infringement" upon her rights. Fortunately, the courts take a more balanced view.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
            DE you are scaring me. We are agreeing too much.
            The only areas in which we have disagreement are the ones in which you have not yet come over to my side of things.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Your blatant mischaracterizations are over the top Ouitis, I am placing you on ignore for the short term and hope you will be done with such tactics in a few weeks

sigpic

Comment

Your blatant mischaracterizations are over the top Ouitis, I am placing you on ignore for the short term and hope you will be done with such tactics in a few weeks
                Yay! I've been put on ignore by the mighty Dee Dee!

I'll pencil in being impressed in the first open spot in my calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                  Yay! I've been put on ignore by the mighty Dee Dee!

I'll pencil in being impressed in the first open spot in my calendar.
                  A Southern slave owner would be just as flippant with regards to his slaves.

Comment

Dee Dee you seriously need an avatar.

Comment

I do mean it jerk. At least you admit it was a mistake. I have much more respect for that.
                      My esteemed cannibal,

Like democracy as a whole, the first amendment's "free exercise thereof" is a compromise that shouldn't be necessary. If folks did religion the way they do science, we'd have answers that wouldn't need legal protection. In fact, I'd be fine if folks did religion like Elijah.
                      At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.”

But they don't. Because they can't withstand the taunting they'd get in return. Because they know there's no one up there to light the fire, and plenty of folks to notice "there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention." And the sooner folks get over that, the better; and the less protection, the sooner.

I'm not saying that religion doesn't provide general benefits to society, offering the gamut from social relief to moral guidance, however haphazardly. I'm saying there's nothing religion does for us as a society that can't be done better without religion, and incredibly cheaper. Religion just happens to be the way we're doing it now, like the three fifths compromise was the way we did it back then. And, like the three fifths compromise, to end it then we'd have needed a war.

That's still true today.

It's little wonder folks are hesitant to call it a mistake.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

I'm saying there's nothing religion does for us as a society that can't be done better without religion, and incredibly cheaper.
                        How about avoiding extinction?

The closer you get to atheism the more dysgenic you get (don't be confused by the low Jew rating, it's because of secular Jews who identify as Jews (which is most of them for now), religious Jews and fundamentalist orthodox Jews in particular have birth rates through the roof). It's pretty obvious that lacking a concrete religious belief, the human great ape's brain goes haywire. If I was an atheist I'd do everything in my power to end atheism. Fortunately the problem will take care of itself. Not in the ideal way I would like, but Kony type Christianity with a Latin flair is the future of North America.

I do appreciate your recognition of the fact that our worldviews are highly incompatible and you desire our destruction. This is much better than the fake live and let live drivel Idioutis spews with half a mouth. If we had amens you'd get one.

Comment

I'm saying there's nothing religion does for us as a society that can't be done better without religion, and incredibly cheaper.
                          How will society provide the community-based emotional and social support that religion provides? Even secular psychologists would usually call this "spiritual" support, even if they deny any reality to the "spiritual" aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren
                            I am channelling the jerk.
                            You aren't using enough unnecessary words to get a simple point across. Channel harder.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              You're thinking such a 'quiz' is designed to tell you anything beyond just a bunch of insults directed at people whom you disagree with, where you ask misleading questions, with only two answers, ignore all positions in-between that can and do exist, and pretend you made a meaningful statement. It might as well be, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" asked 10 different ways.
                              Got it in one, LP. I do not think Outis had a sense of humor or I would think this was a joke,
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                                I cannot agree that religious freedom is a mistake.
                                Dear Outis,

Now that would be an interesting debate.

The constitution, however, does NOT grant privileges for religious liberties.
                                Sure it does. "Free exercise" means they can offer services they never deliver. That's a privilege.

Because, just as with the whites of the South in the 1950s to the 1970s, Dee Dee evidently sees the loss of exclusive privilege as some form of "infringement" upon her rights. Fortunately, the courts take a more balanced view.
                                You can't use analogies with racism, no matter how apt, and expect folks to listen after it's been personalized. Besides, the analogy wasn't necessary. It reads the same with the analogy excluded.

And you can gloat about the courts taking a more balanced view at the next coffee shop while you're paying your bill with currency proclaiming your trust in God.

As ever, Jesse

Comment