Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Immigration problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    That's not true. There are radical Mexican groups that do express such conquest.
    Drop-in-the-bucket compared to those who emigrate to America, and drop-in-the-ocean compared to those who stay at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Why not? Theft is theft. (And broad-brush generalization is broad-brush generalization.)
      It's like a cashier skimming from the till versus a hostile corporate takeover of the entire business. They are only comparable in that both are taking something from one party to another.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        "If you want to speak English, go back to England."
        Perhaps it should be "Press One for Cherokee, Two for English," of course replacing Cherokee with the language appropriate to the area the office is in.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          "If you want to speak English, go back to England."
          They don't speak Southern, so I'll pass...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            It's like a cashier skimming from the till versus a hostile corporate takeover of the entire business. They are only comparable in that both are taking something from one party to another.
            Ah, so the corporate takeover is acceptable because they succeeded, but the skimming cashier is not. Good to have you clarify your stance on that one, Bill.

Comment

Ah, so the corporate takeover is acceptable because they succeeded, but the skimming cashier is not. Good to have you clarify your stance on that one, Bill.
              Oh, no. I didn't mean to suggest that. What the Europeans did was atrocious, but it is entirely different from what the illegals are doing today. An apple is still a fruit, after all, even when you try to compare it to oranges...
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Drop-in-the-bucket compared to those who emigrate to America, and drop-in-the-ocean compared to those who stay at home.
                Pure speculation. You don't know the intent of immigrants anymore than I do. And just to clarify, so as there are no political preconceptions, I personally find the immigrant issue irrelevant politically. What effects it would have culturally I don't know, but anyone with a modicum of economic understanding would know that this is a disaster on America's economy. But I'm of the belief that America is already the sinking titanic economically, so things like immigration reform and Obamacare are just byproducts of that. Just thought I'd clarify that. But your speculation is still just speculation nonetheless.

Comment

Oh, no. I didn't mean to suggest that.
                  I know, but imprecise grammar left the opening, and I couldn't resist.

What the Europeans did was atrocious, but it is entirely different from what the illegals are doing today. An apple is still a fruit, after all, even when you try to compare it to oranges...
                  As I tried to point out earlier, this is a broad-brush generalization. Some immigrants come to the US to milk the system, yes. Some do not. Do you anything even resembling hard data on whose doing what, or is it sufficient to you to accuse the whole for the sins of the part?

Comment

Pure speculation. You don't know the intent of immigrants anymore than I do.
                    Yet you presented your claim as if these people were numerically significant. Tell me, Sean, what percentage of immigrants support a Reconquista?

Comment

That's a historical misconception typically believed by arrogant westerners ignorant of the history.
                      Looks like I better turn in my American History GCSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldie the Limey View Post
                        Looks like I better turn in my American History GCSE.
                        Yup. Either that or look for better information.

Comment

I know, but imprecise grammar left the opening, and I couldn't resist.

As I tried to point out earlier, this is a broad-brush generalization. Some immigrants come to the US to milk the system, yes. Some do not. Do you anything even resembling hard data on whose doing what, or is it sufficient to you to accuse the whole for the sins of the part?
                          Understand that I do not mean to imply that the sole reason is to intentionally bilk the system, but it is a necessary side-effect of their moral justification for breaking US immigration law. Whether their primary goal is to take resources that they are not legally entitled to, the fact remains that a vast majority do just that.

http://asr.sagepub.com/content/78/4/574.abstract
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Understand that I do not mean to imply that the sole reason is to intentionally bilk the system, but it is a necessary side-effect of their moral justification for breaking US immigration law. Whether their primary goal is to take resources that they are not legally entitled to, the fact remains that a vast majority do just that.

http://asr.sagepub.com/content/78/4/574.abstract
                            Bill, have you actually read the article? The article makes much of the facts that the decision to illegally migrate is based on a complexity of factors, of which "bilking the system" does not appear in the list. Indeed, the article makes quite clear that crime rates for illegal immigrants are lower than for citizens. With the exception of the initial decision to cross the border, immigrants tend to be very law abiding, moral, and work oriented.

I'm not sure how you're making that into "bilking the system."

Comment

Bill, have you actually read the article? The article makes much of the facts that the decision to illegally migrate is based on a complexity of factors, of which "bilking the system" does not appear in the list. Indeed, the article makes quite clear that crime rates for illegal immigrants are lower than for citizens. With the exception of the initial decision to cross the border, immigrants tend to be very law abiding, moral, and work oriented.

I'm not sure how you're making that into "bilking the system."
                              though it will be verboten to say this, depends upon the origin in many cases. In South Florida for instance, what you said would hold true for Cubans.
                              The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed, the article makes quite clear that crime rates for illegal immigrants are lower than for citizens.
                                No Idioutis, it says INCARCERATION rates are lower. Probably because most are thrown out of the country.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment