Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What should a married Christian do when not ready to have children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    So like if a person can't have kids, birth defect, removed uterus, medication, whatever, they shouldn't even bother with marriage?
    Adopt.

My understanding of 1 Cor 7:9 was that it was better to marry than to lust.
    And it is good to stay unmarried, as was Paul.

But yes, I'd agree that one end of marriage is for the sexual desire to be fulfilled, but that's not the main end. The unity that copulation produces is meant to promote another end.

The undergirding worldview is also very important. Nowadays (in the West) marriage, having been emptied of much of its prior significance and meaning, is often seen as merely another stage of the romantic relationship.
    Last edited by Paprika; 05-07-2015, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    What about people who marry later in life, or already have children from a previous relationship?
    What would that change?

Leave a comment:

• Ana Dragule
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    The main end of marriage should be to produce and rear children and not for romance/lust; focus on the latter has well sapped the meaning and social centrality of marriage.
    So like if a person can't have kids, birth defect, removed uterus, medication, whatever, they shouldn't even bother with marriage? Might as well give up dating/courtship now?

What it if is only one of produce and rear, like if they can produce a child to be adopted for an adopting couple that is willing to pay for medical expenses or if they can adopt but can't get pregnant themselves?

My understanding of 1 Cor 7:9 was that it was better to marry than to lust.
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
    What about people who marry later in life
    The main end of marriage should be to produce and rear children and not for romance/lust; focus on the latter has well sapped the meaning and social centrality of marriage.

Leave a comment:

• MaxVel
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    IMO, if one is "ready" to be married, then one should be "ready" for the natural consequences - i.e., children.

What about people who marry later in life, or already have children from a previous relationship?

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    There are hormonal birth controls that don't prevent implantation?
    Not that I know of. The first way they work is to prevent ovulation. The second way is to make the lining of the uterus hostile to sperm. The third way is to prevent implantation. Also I am with one bad pig. I am OK with barriers because if something happens then the pregnancy can continue even if the situation is not ideal as in financial not thinking you are ready etc. After the honey moon baby we became more aware of the better NFP method which a lot of people have put a ton of research into. We have made some decisions and fingers crossed so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• thewriteranon
    replied
    If it is done right, it's pretty effective. It's something that takes some time to get down well and does not work well for women who are not very regular.
    Well, and the old fashioned "rhythm" method is quite different than modern forms of NFP.

In any case, I'm as regular as a calendar so it'll probably be one of my go-tos.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Does that include medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term or is that the responsibility readiness that you speak of?
    If there are medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term, how would waiting help? I'm just not convinced that deliberately circumventing a natural biological function for convenience is in any way Christian.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Dragule
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    We tried that..... And we all know what we brought back from our honeymoon. That said if you DO use NFP research it extensively to make sure you are a good candidate for it. Otherwise I strongly believe in non hormonal dual barriers aka diaphragm and condoms or spermicide gel and a condom sponge and condom but that is more my personal philosophy that life begins AAT conception not at implantation. Some hormones prevent not just conception but implantation. Morally of course I am against this.
    There are hormonal birth controls that don't prevent implantation?

Leave a comment:

• Ana Dragule
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    You do know what they call people who rely on the rhythm system for birth control. Parents.
    If it is done right, it's pretty effective. It's something that takes some time to get down well and does not work well for women who are not very regular.
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Dragule
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    IMO, if one is "ready" to be married, then one should be "ready" for the natural consequences - i.e., children.
    Does that include medical concerns with safely carrying the child to term or is that the responsibility readiness that you speak of?
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    We tried that..... And we all know what we brought back from our honeymoon. That said if you DO use NFP research it extensively to make sure you are a good candidate for it. Otherwise I strongly believe in non hormonal dual barriers aka diaphragm and condoms or spermicide gel and a condom sponge and condom but that is more my personal philosophy that life begins AAT conception not at implantation. Some hormones prevent not just conception but implantation. Morally of course I am against this.
    You do know what they call people who rely on the rhythm system for birth control. Parents.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Having knowledge of how fertility (and especially your fertility) works will be helpful not only in avoiding conceiving when the timing isn't right, but in having kids if/when you are ready.

In other words, look into Natural Family Planning methods.

Leave a comment:

• Ana Dragule
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    Variety is the spice of life.
    Yeah... Not very helpful.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X