Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians working on Sundays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has nothing to do with me being in high school.
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Time for a nap

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        There is only one God, 'though we all may understand him differently, which is not to say equally well, but no one understands him perfectly.
        Yes but anyone who say denies the divinity of Christ has not merely understood God differently, but rather has not understood God at all.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          There is only one God, 'though we all may understand him differently, which is not to say equally well, but no one understands him perfectly.
          There is only one Christ who clearly says there is but ONE WAY to get to God, and that is through Christ.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Yeah, I don't care if meat might have been offered to idols; I'm not going to ask. I am thinking primarily about Acts 15:20, but I also keep in mind Paul's admonitions in 1 Corinthians.
            Right, I think its safe to assume Paul's description of the weaker brethren was essentially in regards to Jewish believers who were not yet familiar with the status of OT regulations under the New Covenant. Looking back from the standpoint of progressive revelation in the letters of Paul Acts 15:20 can therefore be understood as to advise the Gentiles that they ought not cause the weaker brethren to stumble over issues that they know really have no significance in Christ and therefore maintain fellowship. This was the time and blossoming of God's church where Jew and Gentile were coming together in Christ so the commands in Acts 15:20 should be looked at in that light.
            Last edited by Scrawly; 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Sabbath was made for man, and not the other way around. It is wise advice to take a day of rest per week if at all possible. This does not have to be Sunday, even. (I work two jobs, one of which schedules me every Sunday, so Sunday is out for me.) Many pastors try to follow this principle, and may choose Monday as their day of rest, for example. There is strong practical wisdom in what God initially revealed with the Sabbath teaching, but Jesus is giving us more leeway in how to apply this to our own lives.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Sabbath was made for man, and not the other way around. It is wise advice to take a day of rest per week if at all possible. This does not have to be Sunday, even. (I work two jobs, one of which schedules me every Sunday, so Sunday is out for me.) Many pastors try to follow this principle, and may choose Monday as their day of rest, for example. There is strong practical wisdom in what God initially revealed with the Sabbath teaching, but Jesus is giving us more leeway in how to apply this to our own lives.
                One man considers one or some days holy (the weaker brethren?), another man considers all days alike (the stronger/mature brethren?). I think common sense dictates that we must rest. No one is capable of working around the clock without resting ever. I fail to see the place of the Sabbath in the life of a Christian if it just comes down to "its wise to take a rest at some point".

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                  One man considers one or some days holy (the weaker brethren?), another man considers all days alike (the stronger/mature brethren?). I think common sense dictates that we must rest. No one is capable of working around the clock without resting ever. I fail to see the place of the Sabbath in the life of a Christian if it just comes down to "its wise to take a rest at some point".
                  It was probably a radical notion at the time, though. What seems common sense to us in our leisured society may not have been universally so.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

6 pages and I don't think anyone mentioned the Sabbath (Saturday) and the Lord's Day (Sunday) are not the same.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      6 pages and I don't think anyone mentioned the Sabbath (Saturday) and the Lord's Day (Sunday) are not the same.
                      Aha! Here is evidence Darth E never reads my posts.

Well, Sundays as holy days or rest days or both wasn't a custom right from the start of the Church (after the crucifixion), right? It's still not clear how it became a custom to the point that we used to have blue laws. Well, not "used to": Wikipedia says that some states still limit hunting on Sundays http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_la..._United_States
                      for one thing.

Elmer Fudd v. Bugs Bunny may not have occurred in a Sunday, I guess.
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

By the way, I just thought I'd mention that the Sabbath (Saturday) and the Lord's Day (Sunday) are not the same.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When I worked as an on call clinician, I didn't have a choice about either Saturday or Sunday. When you're scheduled you go in. If you want to go to church, you'd better hope the clients go to church or the home is having a service. Otherwise your stuck because shift can be 12 plus hours. However I worked the hours to provide for my daughter. I think God understands single parents. That said, I could've never been an Orthodox Jew.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                            Right, I think its safe to assume Paul's description of the weaker brethren was essentially in regards to Jewish believers who were not yet familiar with the status of OT regulations under the New Covenant.
                            I disagree that Paul was referring to Jewish believers.
                            Looking back from the standpoint of progressive revelation in the letters of Paul Acts 15:20 can therefore be understood as to advise the Gentiles that they ought not cause the weaker brethren to stumble over issues that they know really have no significance in Christ and therefore maintain fellowship. This was the time and blossoming of God's church where Jew and Gentile were coming together in Christ so the commands in Acts 15:20 should be looked at in that light.
                            What in Acts 15:20 was NOT about Jew and Gentile coming together?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              The distinction didn't seem particularly material to the questions presented.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                                Aha! Here is evidence Darth E never reads my posts.

Well, Sundays as holy days or rest days or both wasn't a custom right from the start of the Church (after the crucifixion), right? It's still not clear how it became a custom to the point that we used to have blue laws. Well, not "used to": Wikipedia says that some states still limit hunting on Sundays http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_la..._United_States
                                for one thing.

Elmer Fudd v. Bugs Bunny may not have occurred in a Sunday, I guess.
                                I put you on ignore a while back because those huge threads in civics where you talk to yourself kept springing up and made it look like something potentially interesting was posted in civics. Unfortunately, putting people on ignore doens't make their threads disappear so it was pointless. I never got around to removing you. I probably should get around to that eventually.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X