Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

For Christians only - If pot were legal in your state would you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Christians only - If pot were legal in your state would you use it?

This is for Christians only.

So if marijuana was legal where you live would you use it recreationally? I am not talking about abusing it and becoming a pot head, but in the same manner as many Christians drink alcohol occasionally but not to the point of becoming a drunkard.

Vote in the poll then explain your answer below.
    Yes
    12.90%
    No
    87.10%

I would not. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of what it can do to your brain (no matter how stridently legalization advocates on social media dispute this), and I really hate the smell. I wouldn't judge people who made a different choice but it's not for me.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I would not. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of what it can do to your brain (no matter how stridently legalization advocates on social media dispute this), and I really hate the smell. I wouldn't judge people who made a different choice but it's not for me.
      I remember smoking it as a teenager (long before I was a Christian) and the effects seemed to linger for days.

--

Oh and also, I am not only asking about smoking pot, there are edible forms as well.

Comment

Not really... for a few reasons

-I may be allergic (there is family precedent... my brother took a toke in his younger years and wound up in the hospital. It wasn't laced... the doc in the ER even said so after a few 'samples' of course. ).
        -I hate the smell (Most variants leave you smelling like you showered in skunk spray, and it gives me a headache and burns my nostrils... )
        -I'm already filling my pipe with pipe tobacco, thank you very much (smells nicer and likely tastes better).
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I see no reason for it whatsoever.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I see no reason for it whatsoever.
            Well a pastor partaking in pot (or alcohol) might not be the best public example for his congregation anyway. My pastor told me once that he had no problem with a Christian drinking a beer now and then, or a glass of wine with dinner, but he said he doesn't use alcohol at all because if someone saw him in public drinking a beer, it might cause them to doubt, or start rumors, so it is his choice to abstain.

Comment

Just because something is legal does not make it right. Even with the freedom we have in Christ we don't HAVE to do whatever the world tells us is okay.

I don't drink because my brother became an alcoholic, and I know in his younger days he smoked pot and took who knows what other drugs. There could be addictive genetic makeup in my family and I am not willing to risk becoming addicted to anything (chocolate excepted).

I like the idea of having my brain degenerate naturally without giving it any help along the way.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Well a pastor partaking in pot (or alcohol) might not be the best public example for his congregation anyway. My pastor told me once that he had no problem with a Christian drinking a beer now and then, or a glass of wine with dinner, but he said he doesn't use alcohol at all because if someone saw him in public drinking a beer, it might cause them to doubt, or start rumors, so it is his choice to abstain.
                Yeah, pretty much.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Just because something is legal does not make it right. Even with the freedom we have in Christ we don't HAVE to do whatever the world tells us is okay.
                  That which is lawful may not be expedient.

"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    That which is lawful may not be expedient.
                    Exactly.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Not just no... hell no!
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        Not just no... hell no!
                        Yeah!! We should hold out for legalized crack and meth!

Comment

I have enough problems without adding another burden to the load, especially one that smells bad
                          "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            This is for Christians only.

So if marijuana was legal where you live would you use it recreationally? I am not talking about abusing it and becoming a pot head, but in the same manner as many Christians drink alcohol occasionally but not to the point of becoming a drunkard.

Vote in the poll then explain your answer below.
                            yeah, if its Christian pot, like Christian beer, Christian cigarettes, and Christian Rock
                            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Recreationally, no. I've had people suggest it for my RSD though. Still would never smoke it though.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X