Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    ... snip... So if that happens as Christians we are to ask God to provide for our needs through the hardship.
    My Bible says in Philippians 4:19-- But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. << What don't you believe this? He also says in Psalm 89:34-- My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. So according to these verses God will already supply all your needs; you shouldn't have to ask... just believe.

And if our prayers our not answered? Ask him to fill us spiritually through the famine.
    This is an erroneous teaching that has been taught by the Church for over a thousand years. When are you going to believe what Jesus says instead of your pastor [ a person who could be lying to you or teaching error], or the commentary in your Bible? {I'm not saying he is just that he could}

snip. While earthly riches are a blessing so is being poor.
    No, it is not. This is error [being taught to you].

Neither impacts who we are in Christ. Is there a need to sell everything I have? Well if God were to call us to be missionaries we may do that. But I can assure you that God would NOT call anyone to be an illegal panhandler. Hence a good reason NOT to beg on the street.
    Again, this philosophy makes no sense. If poverty were a blessing, as you say, then it would not be illegal [as in an illegal panhandler as you put forth] If poverty were a blessing then everybody should be out panhandling and begging so they could be "blessed".
    When are people going to start believing Jesus [instead of man]?
    Do you believe man when he says that there are many ways to heaven? Or, do you believe Jesus when He says in John 14:6 " I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."?
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

• Wow you are just weird.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Your black/white fundy thinking is quite amusing there, but I go for another option:

We can be blessed (or equally not blessed), no matter our financial situation.
        or health as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
          My Bible says in Philippians 4:19-- But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. << What don't you believe this? He also says in Psalm 89:34-- My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. So according to these verses God will already supply all your needs; you shouldn't have to ask... just believe.
          So who gets to decide what you really need? Not you for sure. You seem to be rather selective in your choice of scriptures.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

And Paul wrote that while in prison, not exactly a place where you are living with tons of monetary wealth.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• It's sad how people here preach poverty is a blessing to other people but they themselves are not living by their own [erroneous] philosophy.
              There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

• Mr. Kott, would you please show us the verse in scripture that tells us that "seed giving" brings faith and reward, and that should be our motivation?

And I notice that you haven't bothered to answer my questions to you from earlier in this thread, post #72, although you did say in your apology that you have health issues. I would appreciate response to my other questions.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's sad how people here preach poverty is a blessing to other people but they themselves are not living by their own [erroneous] philosophy.
                  It's called being content in whatever circumstance the Lord has you in at the present, and the desire to care for your family the best way you know how.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's sad how people here preach poverty is a blessing to other people but they themselves are not living by their own [erroneous] philosophy.
                    Do you know the difference between needs and wants? The name it claim it false teachers like Joel Olsteen don't. if you need a lesson of the difference please go to the other thread and see what true needs are before you accuse others of having erroneous philosophies.
                    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 01-26-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      Do you know the difference between needs and wants?
                      Of course he does...

tumblr_meq893mkrx1rl8rt3o1_r1_1280.jpg
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It wasn't money that turned his heart. You can read it for yourself.

And it's not God's fault if you want to be poor: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. III John 1:2 God wants us to prosper. That means spiritually, physically, financially....
                        Was Jesus rich? How about Paul?

Prosper doesn't mean money. It means to do well, and can mean in endeavors, life, faith, etc. And that was not God talking, it was John talking and he is speaking to a specific individual and it is a greeting in a letter. Kinda like me saying "Hi Kott, I hope you are doing well. blah blah blah."

sheesh. If you can't even understand english, perhaps you should not even TRY to read the King James version. Maybe a children's bible written in modern english?

Comment

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matthew 21:22

Either Jesus is lying or you are... I pick you.
                          OK pray for God to give me a gold brick on my porch this evening. Then if it happens I will believe you. Or maybe you don't believe God can do that? Your faith is being tested. How shall you respond?

Oh and I want a puppy too.

Thanks.

Comment

• And an ice cream! Made with frozen custard! And 10 pounds of chocolate!
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Originally Posted by Mr.Kott
                              I've just had a bad attitude lately. I have health issues and a few other issues that have piled up on me an it is very difficult to deal with... along with you guys' unbelief concerning what Jesus said.
                              Oh. Sorry about your health and other issues.

However, I find your apology sort of back-handed after your explanation.
                              Hmm I noticed he deleted his post. Probably because he noticed that he should not have health problems or other issues if the Word of Faith crap was true. He should just be able to pray it away! And if he is faithful, God would never have given him health problems in the first place.

Comment

• So... where is my yummy free junk food? Well, God is DEFINITELY not a vending machine. And that is a GOOD thing.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X