Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
    That was uncalled for. I ask that you please remove it.
    Mr.Kott is correct. He is not being stupid, he is being heretical.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

As I wrote in the PM I sent you, I am so glad to be relying on the Lord Jesus Christ and not on your legalistic twisting of scripture.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

James 4:1-3, NASB, emphasis mine

4 What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

Mr. Kott, take a look at the bolded portion of this passage from James. It explicitly says that that we don't always get what we want if we ask with the wrong motives. How do you explain that in light of your views? And, since I haven't seen a post where you answered it, how do you explain that passage from 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 that Bill the Cat posted where Paul asked for something and didn't get it? I am not trying to trip you up or anything, I really do want to know how you can explain these passages in light of your views.

For that matter, something else to consider. We are finite flawed human beings. God is omnipresent,omniscience, and omnibenevolent. Sometimes we ask for things that were we to know and understand the entire situation we wouldn't actually want. Sometimes the most loving thing God can do is say "no" to us. Think of it like this--suppose you have a man who has a little four year old son. Now this father says he would do anything for his son. His son asks him if he can drink the bottle of rat poison under the sink. The rat poison smells sweet and the little boy thinks it will taste great and so he wants it. Would the father be going back on his word if he said no to the little boy? What would be the most loving and wisest thing for the father to do?

I think you need to think about these verses and also think about the character of God and the love God has for us--Jesus sacrificed Himself to save us.
        Last edited by Paula; 01-20-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I apologize to all.
          There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

I apologize to all.
            If you are my brother, your apology is accepted.

Comment

I apologize to all.
              Just a bit curious. For what are you apologizing?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Poverty isn't a curse, it's a blessing. If I had never lived in poverty, I don't believe I would be compassionate to those who are.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  Poverty isn't a curse, it's a blessing. If I had never lived in poverty, I don't believe I would be compassionate to those who are.
                  I can see where it would give you a better understanding for their plight but I don't need to have, for example, been an orphan to feel compassion toward them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would not buy expensive designer clothing, but that is just me. I would indeed build my expensive dream house, and hire lots of help. Those things would benefit working people.

Comment

Oh I should have said too: Poverty also has taught me: How to live frugally, how to cook with little to nothing, how to clothe my children, and how to give generously to others in need. Well actually I think Jesus taught me those things through living with little money. It would have been very hard to learn these otherwise. Now that I am not in monetary poverty:

I have no need for designer clothes, the ones from the thrift store work just fine. So do the ones on sale at the department store. My children have clothes, we still love to give and give generously, we cook on the same budget, we're not in debt, we have what we need, we're very very rich in love. Who needs a Lambourghini anyway when a Buick drives just as well and will still get you from point a to point b? Just askin?
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Kott
                        I've just had a bad attitude lately. I have health issues and a few other issues that have piled up on me an it is very difficult to deal with... along with you guys' unbelief concerning what Jesus said.
                        Oh. Sorry about your health and other issues.

However, I find your apology sort of back-handed after your explanation.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          If that is true then why do you have a computer? Why have you not sold everything? Why are you not on the street corner begging for food? It's a blessing right?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Oh. Sorry about your health and other issues.

However, I find your apology sort of back-handed after your explanation.
                            I find your "sorry" sort of back-handed. And your "faith" designation "slave & friend of Christ"? Your fruit, as it were, does not bear this out.

Is this what all of you want--to argue, to tear each other down for the next 20 years? Your sins are more than my sins so that means I am better than you tirades? When are you people going to start believing Jesus instead of what man says Jesus said?
                            Last edited by Mr.Kott; 01-21-2016, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I find your "sorry" sort of back-handed. And your "faith" designation "slave & friend of Christ"? Your fruit, as it were, does not bear this out.

Is this what all of you want--to argue, to tear each other down for the next 20 years? Your sins are more than my sins so that means I am better than you tirades? When are you people going to start believing Jesus instead of what man says Jesus said?
                              Mr. Kott, practically all you've done since you came here is argue. How about we all admit that we fall short of where we should be, and strive to get better, focusing on the plank in our own eyes rather than the splinter we see in the eye of others?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I will confront error when I see it. You are in error. Jesus did not teach that we would all be healthy and wealthy. He taught that we would have trouble, that we would be hated and reviled as He was. ALL of scripture is God's word, not just the red letters. We are to take the WHOLE of scripture as the inspired word of God. And each part of scripture fits perfectly with every other part. There is nothing contradictory about any of it.

I am sorry for your health issues. Like Jesus often did with the Pharisees, however, I offer you a bit of sarcasm........perhaps you should pray harder to be healed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X