Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    No I am not
    Sure you are. You are calling Jesus a liar. And you are trying to justify yourself with your man-decides-truth "argument" below. And you are also calling me names. That is not cool. Jesus did not do that sort of thing.

, you little twit. I am calling YOU a contextually ignorant clown who can't see that he has no clue what he is talking about. Let's try a little experiment:

1) Can we ask ANYTHING of Jesus as long as it is "in faith"

2) Will God automatically agree and give us what we ask as long as we are "in faith"

3) Did Paul ask to have the thorn removed?

4) Did God say yes?

This ought to be good. Waiting for the inevitable spin doctoring...
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
      Sure you are. You are calling Jesus a liar. And you are trying to justify yourself with your man-decides-truth "argument" below. And you are also calling me names. That is not cool. Jesus did not do that sort of thing.

You are the one calling Jesus a liar. You are making Him contradict the entirety of His own word. You are making Him the magic genie who will grant your every wish. You are making Him your servant who can't do anything without your permission.

You are proclaiming a different gospel and a different Christ, so you are a heretic and a false prophet.

And perhaps you have forgotten that Jesus called the most religious people around Him a brood of vipers, and he upset the tables and drove the money changers away from the temple, twice, proclaiming that they had made His Father's house a den of thieves.

Jesus called people sinners and pointed out their error all the time, and He certainly did not avoid those who twisted His words to make them say what they wanted them to say. Such as people like you.
      Last edited by mossrose; 01-20-2016, 09:50 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You whitewashed tomb! You brood of vipers! Have you not read?

hmm...

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Jesus never insulted anyone!

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          You whitewashed tomb! You brood of vipers! Have you not read?

hmm...

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Jesus never insulted anyone!

Let's see how fast he, and how far will move those goal posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Let's see how fast he, and how far will move those goal posts.
            I am not going to argue with you guys. Either you believe Jesus, or, you believe man over what Jesus said. It's that simple. What matters here is what Jesus said.

Comment

Sure you are.
              No I am not. You are making Him a liar by denying Paul the removal of his thorn. And that is plainly obvious in your cowardly refusal to answer 4 simple questions.

You are calling Jesus a liar.
              No I am not. I am calling YOU an idiot. Jesus knew what He meant, and how He meant it. He is not at our whim to demand everything we want.

And you are trying to justify yourself with your man-decides-truth "argument" below.
              It has nothing to do with man-decided truth, clown. It proves you wrong in your ridiculous bastardization of Jesus' words.

And you are also calling me names.
              Quit whining.

That is not cool. Jesus did not do that sort of thing.

"brood of vipers"... "whitewashed tombs"... "sons of the devil"... "Get behind me satan"...

Your ignorance is comical.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I am not going to argue with you guys. Either you believe Jesus, or, you believe man over what Jesus said. It's that simple. What matters here is what Jesus said.
                And what He DIDN'T do...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You said that Jesus wouldn't insult people, but yet we have examples of exactly that.

Matthew 23:26-28New International Version (NIV)

26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Matthew 23:33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

So, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and trust Jesus, but also learn about what His words mean in their context. This means learning about the culture in which He lived, and it means understanding the language in which His words were originally recorded. You don't do that, you go to an English translation, and you assume that it will be 100% clear in all matters. That's just not how it works.

So, should I trust Jesus' own words on the subject of insults, or Mr. Kott's opinion that Jesus never did that.

I think I'll go with what Jesus said.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    You are the one calling Jesus a liar. snip
                    I am not the one saying that Jesus didn't say what He said that He said.... you guys are. So it's not me you have to contend with.. it's Jesus.
                    You can call me names, make me look bad in front of people etc. but none of that will change what Jesus said. "Ask anything...Ask whatsoever".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

You said that Jesus wouldn't insult people, .snip
                      No I did not.

Comment

No I did not.
                        Yeah, you did.

To "call someone names" is equivalent to insulting them.

Comment

I am not the one saying that Jesus didn't say what He said that He said.... you guys are. So it's not me you have to contend with.. it's Jesus.
                          You can call me names, make me look bad in front of people etc. but none of that will change what Jesus said. "Ask anything...Ask whatsoever".
                          So, Do you have lots of money? Can you buy the designer stuff?

If you answer no, then why not? Faith not strong enough?

Have you ever had a cold? The flu? Ever had your eyes examined? Do you wear glasses or contact lens? Have you ever seen a doctor for anything?

If you answer yes, then why? Is your faith not strong enough?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I still don't have my free ice cream!

Comment

What's the matter, Col Sanders??
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So, can I ask Jesus for an ice cream cone?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X