Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethical dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I know, some versions have there be a sinking ship with more people than lifeboats, but that's why your supposed to have enough lifeboats for everyone! A lot of these classic ethical dilemmas could be prevented with enough prep and a contingency plan! (maybe I've watched too many Batman cartoons)
    I learned long ago, in Basic Police School, that you can study these situations, and try your best to predict how you'd react, but when the bullets start flying, the text book goes out the window.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Seriously, these "situations" are silly --- if there are that many people IN the lifeboat, and it hasn't sunk yet, everybody just needs to remain calm and collectively paddle for shore, watching out for sharks.
    I know, some versions have there be a sinking ship with more people than lifeboats, but that's why your supposed to have enough lifeboats for everyone! A lot of these classic ethical dilemmas could be prevented with enough prep and a contingency plan! (maybe I've watched too many Batman cartoons)

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Seriously, these "situations" are silly --- if there are that many people IN the lifeboat, and it hasn't sunk yet, everybody just needs to remain calm and collectively paddle for shore, watching out for sharks.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I would ask how many voted for Obama.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    They aren't in the lifeboat! They were rescued by an evil villain who now want to kill everyone in an evil death trap!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You and 15 others are in a lifeboat which is now overloaded by the weight of one person. The water around you is surrounded by sharks. There is a island in the distance. You can't sacrifice yourself. What do you do? And for some reason, you are the only one who can make the choice and no one volunteers to die.
    I would ask how many voted for Obama.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyP
    replied
    I may know friends/loved ones better than ones on the lifeboat, I may consider who acts best under stress and most comfortable going home to God.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    How about the old villain has two of your friends/loved ones held hostage and you can only save one! And you are a character in a story where it is only up to you and you can't call the cops for some crazy reason! Hopefully y'all decided beforehand...

Leave a comment:

• Just Some Dude
    replied
    Roll the lot, and whoever it lands on, gets thrown overboard. Every decision of the lot comes from the LORD anyways.

I probably wouldn't have a "lot" handy, so I'd have to very quickly find a way to randomize who gets chunked. And I'm not good at quick thinking.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    In general, I find "what might Jesus have me do?" is a much better question than "what would Jesus do?"

Leave a comment:

• MaxVel
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm
    You and 15 others are in a lifeboat which is now overloaded by the weight of one person. The water around you is surrounded by sharks. There is a island in the distance. You can't sacrifice yourself. What do you do? And for some reason, you are the only one who can make the choice and no one volunteers to die.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Just chop off an arm or leg of about 8 random people. That will lessen the weight enough so that everyone can survive.
    Water, boats, sharks... I knew this was a problem for a pirate!

I think Sparko's answer comes from personal experience

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Just chop off an arm or leg of about 8 random people. That will lessen the weight enough so that everyone can survive.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Think he's reffering to the ones were the situation is designed on purpose to force you into an ethical dilemma.
    Yeah, I know...

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyP
    replied
    How are you stuck somewhere with only a very small amount of water and no rescue?
    On a lifeboat!

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Think he's reffering to the ones were the situation is designed on purpose to force you into an ethical dilemma.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X