Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethical dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thinker
    replied
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

Thinker - please read the rules for this forum - you are not allowed to be posting here

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rushing Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I know! It's fun to make fun of the really crazy ethical dilemmas that are so contrived that I wouldn't be suprised if Aquaman showed up to save them. That's the thing, ethical dilemmas manufactured for a philosophical discussion seem to have to cut off any possibility of picking a different option. We're not pretending to put Jesus in it. That would make it even more pointless than if you inserted the Justice League and the Avengers and the Enterprise crew and every other fictional hero. Because Jesus is real and infinity more aewsome and powerful than any character we can make up.
    ## Except that Supey, Spidey, Bats, the JLA, the Enterprise, Harry Potter, etc., are more likely to turn up, because they are not Divine.

If a wizard were on the raft, he or she could transform the raft into an island, or apparate to the nearest big city.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Though if it's silly, it can't be an ethical dilemma. Or can it? In a very darkly humorous way.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Heheheheheh, ever so cheeky Cow Poke.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Silliest "ethical dilemma"?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Still good, CP.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    This reminds me of the story about the airplane that developed engine trouble. As the engine sputtered and died, the pilot came back through the cabin wearing a parachute, and said, "I've got bad news - there are 4 people on this plane, but only 3 parachutes, so you guys have a decision to make". With that, the pilot opened the door and jumped.

The other three people on the plane were a priest, a boy scout and a liberal genius (if there is such a thing). The liberal genius jumped up, grabbed a parachute, and said, "YOU TWO have a decision to make - the world needs my genius to solve problems like global warming" and, with that, he jumped out the door.

The priest looked at the boy scout, and said, "son, you take the parachute, because you have your whole life ahead of you, and I have lived a long life and am prepared to meet my maker".

The boy scout said, "Aw shucks, Padre, no need for that -- there are still two parachutes left cause the genius grabbed my backpack!"

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    I know, how about pick a good rich person? Like Abraham! That's why I realized that Bruce Wayne can't be on the boat! He's Batman!

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    And if the rich guy is Bruce Wayne? Though if sais lifeboat dilemma is happening in a superhero comicbook universe... Dilemma what dilemma!
    AH ah! You said no superheros that can get them out of this pickle, NO TAKE BACKSEES! >=D

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Originally posted by Andius View Post
    Hahahahahahahah.

The fact that you mentioned "rich", you just made this dilemma a no brainer for Darth Executor.

And I am sure the rich person must have done something vile to merit it's gruesome destiny.
    And if the rich guy is Bruce Wayne? Though if sais lifeboat dilemma is happening in a superhero comicbook universe... Dilemma what dilemma!
    Last edited by Christianbookworm; 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Seriously, these "situations" are silly --- if there are that many people IN the lifeboat, and it hasn't sunk yet, everybody just needs to remain calm and collectively paddle for shore, watching out for sharks.
    Unless there are tofu lovers.... then lightening up the weight makes the paddle all the more easier. And a worthy sacrifice it is. ^^

Leave a comment:

• Andius
    replied
    What are you planning on doing? Don't even think about telling me. What if this was a simulation? You will be graded. Half are men, half are wome. Ages ranging from 16-60. Some are rich, others are poor. Who will you choose? What will this choice say about you?
    Hahahahahahahah.

The fact that you mentioned "rich", you just made this dilemma a no brainer for Darth Executor.

And I am sure the rich person must have done something vile to merit it's gruesome destiny.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    And that's why training is more important than hypothesizing.
    To the BatCave! Wait... what kind of training? Does on really need to be as prepared as Batman to prevent dilemmas?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    And that's why training is more important than hypothesizing.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    I learned long ago, in Basic Police School, that you can study these situations, and try your best to predict how you'd react, but when the bullets start flying, the text book goes out the window.
    Then why worry about it? If you panic and act like an animal, don't think you'll be held accountable. In a hypothetical scenario, you could do anything to sovle it! But in real life...
    That's the thing about dilemmas, you don't know what you'll do until your in it.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X