Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

No Longer Convinced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm pretty sure we don't have the means to answer that question. Some children need rather more correction than others.
    I'm certain we don't! Most of my questions will be answered in the world to come. I look forward to a lot of very exciting discussions in purgatory!
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
      That tells us nothing except your own biases.
      Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I have difficulty imagining Mary and Joseph beating Jesus or even James, but it would not surprise me all that much if Saul of Tarsus was beaten as a child.
      Of course; it was not meant to say anything else. I think Mary and Joseph were probably very good parents. We know much less about Paul's parents, but he did seem to have a bit of a violent streak as a young man, persecuting those with whom he did not agree. Do you disagree?
      "Biblical" psychoanalysis(?).

For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I was spanked as a kid, and I have nothing but respect and love for my parents. I didn't turn out particularly violent, either.

I'm not sure why people who are opposed to spanking seem to always think that spanking leads to violent behavior, citing this or that anecdotal evidence, while ignoring the wealth of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. (Like mine, my parents', all of my siblings', my friends', etc.)

Some kids may need different punishments than others. I just don't really understand the crowd who appear to argue that spanking is never appropriate.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I was spanked as a kid, and I have nothing but respect and love for my parents. I didn't turn out particularly violent, either.

I'm not sure why people who are opposed to spanking seem to always think that spanking leads to violent behavior, citing this or that anecdotal evidence, while ignoring the wealth of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. (Like mine, my parents', all of my siblings', my friends', etc.)

Some kids may need different punishments than others. I just don't really understand the crowd who appear to argue that spanking is never appropriate.
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
            "Biblical" psychoanalysis(?).

No, just friendly banter.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              ... I'm not sure why people who are opposed to spanking seem to always think that spanking leads to violent behavior ...
              I hope you do not think that is my position. I would not be surprised if that violence or physical abuse experienced by children can sometimes create a kind of circle of violence that continues to repeat itself.

Comment

I hope you do not think that is my position. I would not be surprised if that violence or physical abuse experienced by children can sometimes create a kind of circle of violence that continues to repeat itself.
                I wasn't sure, so thanks for the clarification.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  Wow you took me way out of context didn't you....
                  I didn't.

What is wrong with you lately? When we've disagreed in the SB lately you've behaved very defensively and irrationally, as though you don't want to acknowledge any critiques of the views you're espousing. At the end of the second exchange with me, you said something to the extent that I was talking to you like you were an "idiot", and you said something similar after your exchange here in this thread with DDW.

Comment

I was spanked as a child. All of the elder siblings in my family were. The younger ones weren't. I have no nightmares or repressed horror stories about being spanked. In fact, I still think that the reason some of the younger ones have had bratty streaks is because they weren't belted.

I'll also agree with the person who said different punishments for different children. Certainly was true in my family growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                      I'll also agree with the person who said different punishments for different children..
                      yup. While I didn't like being spanked, I REALLY hated being lectured by my mom. I used to tell her to just spank me and get it over with!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        yup. While I didn't like being spanked, I REALLY hated being lectured by my mom. I used to tell her to just spank me and get it over with!
                        My Dad hit me a few times. No permanent damage. My Mom gave us a spanking once and we just laughed because it really did hurt her much more than it hurt us. But my wife and I have never used corporal punishment. It never seemed necessary. I was not opposed in theory, but my wife was.

Comment

No, just friendly banter.

Comment

For the Record, I was NOT referencing the Pearls.
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Still would LOVE to hear your defense of your ad hom attacks there. Quite personal them.
                              The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                                Wow!!! Ya point out what you think, go back and redo it, make the case you have, and get accused of a strawman, and logical fallacy by someone who is a biblical literalist and has ONE way of reading scripture. that's great, and classic. Especially of narrow minded thinkers.
                                Here they are in case you forgot.

1. Biblical literalist- patently false
                                2. One way of reading Scripture- not even sure what you mean by that but it appears to be a regurgitation of number one which is patently false
                                3. Narrow minded thinker - just an out of bounds (not referring to rules but to the thread context) personal attack that I would love to see supported

I supported my charge of the two fallacies and would gladly do so again - others here have noted the same two fallacies-- maybe they are just narrow inded Biblical literalists too
                                Last edited by Darth Xena; 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM.
                                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X