Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think I've said this elsewhere .... there's an old saying (and I wish I knew to whom to attribute it) that says "how can I know what I think til I hear myself say it". There have been times I've thought I had a great idea, but as I began to explain it to somebody, even I think "boy, that's dumb".
    Other times, I still think it's a good idea, but the person to whom I explain it helps me see things I hadn't considered.

In short, it's really good to talk things like this out with a trusted friend - somebody who clearly understands they have your permission to say, "yeah, no --- that's a dumb idea".
    If you find yourself having to alter details as you explain an idea to someone, that's a sign it was not very well thought out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It wasn't you that told me the distance was measured in parsecs?
      Depends on the scale. If one millimeter equals a year or one kilometer equals a year

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If you find yourself having to alter details as you explain an idea to someone, that's a sign it was not very well thought out.
        Well, you have to remember, there are the known knowns, the things we know we know, and the known unknowns - the things we know we do not know, but then there are the unknown unknowns - the things we do not yet know that we do not know. So, there's that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, you have to remember, there are the known knowns, the things we know we know, and the known unknowns - the things we know that we do not know, but then there are the unknown unknowns - the things we do not yet know that we do not know. So, there's that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, you have to remember, there are the known knowns, the things we know we know, and the known unknowns - the things we know we do not know, but then there are the unknown unknowns - the things we do not yet know that we do not know. So, there's that.
            Yeah, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah, I know.
              But do you know that you know?

Comment

But do you know that you know?
                No.

Comment

Got Questions does a good job of answering this in What does the Bible say about tattoos?

While the NT is silent on this, and I really don't have an issue with it, I've seen MANY people who, when being honest, will express regret at having gotten certain tattoos.

My son-in-law, for example, has a large naked lady on his left arm. He got that before he became a Christian, so he chooses to wear long sleeve shirts to Church and around other people who may understandably be offended.

As a practical rule, I think people who are considering getting a tattoo should have it drawn up, then wait 6 months or a year, and ask, "do I really want that".
                  I know there are ways to get tattoos removed, is he unable to do that? Is it too costly?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    I know there are ways to get tattoos removed, is he unable to do that? Is it too costly?
                    I haven't pushed the issue as I'm currently focusing on his spiritual growth.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X