Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Tattoos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yeah. Likely need to circle the globe a few times to go back that far.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

    Comment


    • #17
      Trying to get back on topic here, when I mention a "practical" case, I am trying to think in terms of a Christian witness. Having something look stupid in a location most people won't see unless you're swimming in your old age seems morally neutral.

      There are probably cultural situations where it's quite unwise to get one. But there are other situations where it might be helpful. Having a Christian tattoo might be a plus when trying to witness to people in certain urban environments.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Trying to get back on topic here, when I mention a "practical" case, I am trying to think in terms of a Christian witness. Having something look stupid in a location most people won't see unless you're swimming in your old age seems morally neutral.

        There are probably cultural situations where it's quite unwise to get one. But there are other situations where it might be helpful. Having a Christian tattoo might be a plus when trying to witness to people in certain urban environments.
        As it turns out, my quite-tattooed prodigal daughter has quite a following on her youtube and [whatever] channel from people who really need to hear a Christian message.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

        Comment


        • #19
          In my view it comes down to the following:

          1. What is the purpose or reason for wanting to get one
          2. What is it portraying, what kind of message does it send?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Got Questions does a good job of answering this in What does the Bible say about tattoos?

            While the NT is silent on this, and I really don't have an issue with it, I've seen MANY people who, when being honest, will express regret at having gotten certain tattoos.

            My son-in-law, for example, has a large naked lady on his left arm. He got that before he became a Christian, so he chooses to wear long sleeve shirts to Church and around other people who may understandably be offended.

            As a practical rule, I think people who are considering getting a tattoo should have it drawn up, then wait 6 months or a year, and ask, "do I really want that".
            That's basically what I'm doing. I'm considering getting a memorial tattoo for Dad and I'm taking my time with designing it and then I'm going to wait a year to make sure it's what I want. My s/o is a former tattooist and he also encouraged me to wait.
            I am Punkinhead.

            "I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

            ~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

            Comment


            • #21
              I sometimes find tattoos quite impressive.

              Last edited by tabibito; 01-12-2024, 12:06 AM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              .
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

              Comment


              • #22
                Would a tattoo of Herve Villachaize be considered "meta"?
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                Beige Federalist.

                Nationalist Christian.

                "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                Proud member of the this space left blank community.

                Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

                Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

                Justice for Matthew Perna!

                Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Would a tattoo of Herve Villachaize be considered "meta"?
                  Only if it includes a picture of a Grumman Widgeon G-44.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  .
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

                    That's basically what I'm doing. I'm considering getting a memorial tattoo for Dad and I'm taking my time with designing it and then I'm going to wait a year to make sure it's what I want. My s/o is a former tattooist and he also encouraged me to wait.
                    Yup - our personalities and character traits to tend to change in "seasons", and there are a number of bad decisions I almost made that were negated by "lemme think on that for about a week" (or whatever time frame).
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
                      In my view it comes down to the following:

                      1. What is the purpose or reason for wanting to get one
                      2. What is it portraying, what kind of message does it send?
                      Yeah, that.

                      Why are you getting a tattoo? Why that tattoo, in that place? I think those are important questions to put some prayerful time into.

                      As an aside, I've spoken to a couple of people who said that they found it kind of addictive - once you've got one tattoo, you want another, an another...


                      Overall, not a fan. Lots of people out there with bad tattoos for bad reasons, no need to try to look like them.
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                        Yup - our personalities and character traits to tend to change in "seasons", and there are a number of bad decisions I almost made that were negated by "lemme think on that for about a week" (or whatever time frame).

                        Some of your decisions are so bad that only a week's pause is enough to realize 'this is NOT a good idea'? I thought Texans would be slow-moving and considered, except when it comes to shooting critters.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by MaxVel View Post


                          Some of your decisions are so bad that only a week's pause is enough to realize 'this is NOT a good idea'? I thought Texans would be slow-moving and considered, except when it comes to shooting critters.
                          I think I've said this elsewhere .... there's an old saying (and I wish I knew to whom to attribute it) that says "how can I know what I think til I hear myself say it". There have been times I've thought I had a great idea, but as I began to explain it to somebody, even I think "boy, that's dumb".
                          Other times, I still think it's a good idea, but the person to whom I explain it helps me see things I hadn't considered.

                          In short, it's really good to talk things like this out with a trusted friend - somebody who clearly understands they have your permission to say, "yeah, no --- that's a dumb idea".
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            Would a tattoo of Herve Villachaize be considered "meta"?
                            I saw what you did there!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Yeah. Likely need to circle the globe a few times to go back that far.
                              You do like to live dangerously, don't you...
                              I am Punkinhead.

                              "I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

                              ~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Yeah. Likely need to circle the globe a few times to go back that far.
                                It wasn't you that told me the distance was measured in parsecs?
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                .
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X