Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is gun culture compatible with Christianity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littlejoe
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

What I'm referring to is beyond personal boasting; it's how even the NRA, as I mentioned, openly had a guy on their board up until last summer who has spoken in favor of shooting political opponents, and many Christians enthusiastically supported this organization the whole time.

My OP was a bit jumbled, admittedly. I'm not quite sure what to make of gun policy myself. I take for granted that gun control policies are ineffective; nonetheless, on a moral level, a Christian might be better off quietly supporting gun control than enthustiastically agitating against it. The ways of Christianity are foolish to the world, and we are called to die to self. Involvement in a violent culture seems problematic on a number levels, and many Christians seem to have taken it to that level.
    Should we as Christians get out of the pro-life movement because of some of the rhetoric and actions of those who think it's fine to threaten Doctors, nurses and patients with harm and even go so far as to bomb or set fire to abortion clinics?

The problem to me, as a gun owner is that the threat to my 2nd amendment freedom to own a gun is constantly threatened by the gun control lobby, politicians and such. Unfortunately, there has to be a big enough block of voters, protestors the counteract those threats. This leads to a those who aren't with me are against me. I don't agree with Ted, and I haven't supported the NRA for years because I believe they were taking the money and not really doing much, while fanning the flames to keep themselves relevant. We see this a lot in politics don't we? A lot of this would die off if both sides would just cool their jets.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Yeah, people shouldn't want to have to kill in self defense. That's creepy.
    you forgot the sarcasm tags CBW

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    What type of swords do you have? I know someone who collects old Medieval Europe Viking-style long swords. Last I checked he had three or four -- all roughly 900 to 1000 years old.
    The only old ones I have are a couple of sabers from WW1 and what I think is an old roman sword (basically just a rusted blade) my dad got for me when we lived in Germany. I used to have a Katana but it got stolen. My other blades are new, just some cool looking swords I found. I do have a Gil Hibben dagger or two. He makes a lot of fantasy blades used in films.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I have a handgun and I enjoy shooting it. I grew up with guns (Dad was from the country and in the Army) and have always liked them. But I would never hope to have a chance to use one against another human being. I hope the exact opposite, I never want to be in the position of needing to shoot another person, but if I am ever put in such a situation, I would rather be the one shooting then the one being shot because I didn't have a gun and someone broke into my house.

I don't see a problem with liking to collect guns. I collect knives and swords. Not because I want to kill someone with them but because I admire the craftmanship and various styles. They basically sit in boxes or hang on the wall. Some people do the same with guns.

I don't endorse being obsessed with wanting to using guns (or other weapons) against people. That's psychotic.
    What type of swords do you have? I know someone who collects old Medieval Europe Viking-style long swords. Last I checked he had three or four -- all roughly 900 to 1000 years old.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I have a handgun and I enjoy shooting it. I grew up with guns (Dad was from the country and in the Army) and have always liked them. But I would never hope to have a chance to use one against another human being. I hope the exact opposite, I never want to be in the position of needing to shoot another person, but if I am ever put in such a situation, I would rather be the one shooting then the one being shot because I didn't have a gun and someone broke into my house.

I don't see a problem with liking to collect guns. I collect knives and swords. Not because I want to kill someone with them but because I admire the craftmanship and various styles. They basically sit in boxes or hang on the wall. Some people do the same with guns.

I don't endorse being obsessed with wanting to using guns (or other weapons) against people. That's psychotic.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

This may be partly an issue of translating Christianity to the modern West. We run into somewhat of a "tension": Christianity is non-violent, but it is also counter-cultural. The dominant (elite liberal) culture is anti-gun. Pushing back against that can get out of hand, but I don't know that just quietly defending 2A is sufficient.

This may also relate a bit to the John Wayne-ification of Christianity. There is a tendency by some to equate "Biblical" masculinity with the cowboy stereotype. I don't happen to think that model is any more or less Biblical than, e.g., Leonard Hofstadter or Pajama Boy.
    So, if a Christian culture actually came into existence, the Christian thing to do would be to be counter-cultural to a Christian culture?

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Yeah, people shouldn't want to have to kill in self defense. That's creepy.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

[...]

As far as the second issue, I agree there are some conservatives that have a tendency to run their mouths about their personal gun ownership, but that's probably just a natural counter reaction to the anti-gun political rhetoric of the other side. As you know, things have gotten super hyper-partisan in this country, so such language is just inevitable under the circumstances.
    You do get rather enthusiastic "cultures" sprouting up around hobbies and past times and firearms aren't an exception. Just like there are guys obsessed with their cars and everything about them, or fishing, or coaching Little League... there are folks who get that way about guns.

And there is definitely a negative side to it, what with those few folks who talk about hoping some crook breaks into their house so they'll have the chance to blow them away.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied

As far as the second issue, I agree there are some conservatives that have a tendency to run their mouths about their personal gun ownership, but that's probably just a natural counter reaction to the anti-gun political rhetoric of the other side. As you know, things have gotten super hyper-partisan in this country, so such language is just inevitable under the circumstances.
    This may be partly an issue of translating Christianity to the modern West. We run into somewhat of a "tension": Christianity is non-violent, but it is also counter-cultural. The dominant (elite liberal) culture is anti-gun. Pushing back against that can get out of hand, but I don't know that just quietly defending 2A is sufficient.

This may also relate a bit to the John Wayne-ification of Christianity. There is a tendency by some to equate "Biblical" masculinity with the cowboy stereotype. I don't happen to think that model is any more or less Biblical than, e.g., Leonard Hofstadter or Pajama Boy.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

That's a bit of a copout. The question remains - should Christians participate in such machinations because "it is what it is"?
    Probably not, but that won't change anything.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Again, it's tit-for-tat political rhetoric within a very hostile sociopolitical environment, and it's not going to get any better. The left has said some very vile things and made threats against the right as well. It just is what it is. I also think social media has magnified this exponentially and made things much worse.
    That's a bit of a copout. The question remains - should Christians participate in such machinations because "it is what it is"? This wouldn't even require a withdrawal from politics.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

What I'm referring to is beyond personal boasting; it's how even the NRA, as I mentioned, openly had a guy on their board up until last summer who has spoken in favor of shooting political opponents, and many Christians enthusiastically supported this organization the whole time.

My OP was a bit jumbled, admittedly. I'm not quite sure what to make of gun policy myself. I take for granted that gun control policies are ineffective; nonetheless, on a moral level, a Christian might be better off quietly supporting gun control than enthustiastically agitating against it. The ways of Christianity are foolish to the world, and we are called to die to self. Involvement in a violent culture seems problematic on a number levels, and many Christians seem to have taken it to that level.
    Again, it's tit-for-tat political rhetoric within a very hostile sociopolitical environment, and it's not going to get any better. The left has said some very vile things and made threats against the right as well. It just is what it is. I also think social media has magnified this exponentially and made things much worse.

If I were to address it on a deeper theological level, I'd have to reference my eschatology. They're passages indicating some Christians will be brought into captivity and some Christians will choose to fight and die. I expect this to happen once things reach a climatic breaking point. So such hostile rhetoric is even more unsurprising to me.

As far as my personal opinion, that's all I got for you.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Well, you're trying to juggle two issues in the OP. The first one, as indicated in your first paragraph, seems to be referring to pro-2A Christians in general (especially the source you linked) and is really just typical gun control drivel you hear from the left, just with a theological slant. And then the second issue is the objectionable way you feel some pro-2A conservatives seem to behave about it.

I was addressing the first issue in my last post.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

I acknowledged earlier that a gun can be used properly as a tool. My broader question, which you haven't addressed, relates to the culture that has grown around them in the United States. (I do think the interpretation that the only reason Jesus had them take swords was to provoke the crucifixion as the time had come is plausible, but for the sake of argument I'm granting that there was nothing inherently wrong with having swords in general.)
    Well, you're trying to juggle two issues in the OP. The first one, as indicated in your first paragraph, seems to be referring to pro-2A Christians in general (especially the source you linked) and is really just typical gun control drivel you hear from the left, just with a theological slant. And then the second issue is the objectionable way you feel some pro-2A conservatives seem to behave about it.

I was addressing the first issue in my last post.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Jesus didn't seem to have a problem with his followers carrying swords. And, no, it wasn't for fishing or utility reasons.

It was a volatile era during that time, and the Jews, including his followers, were expecting a war against the Romans to happen led by Messiah ben David. They obviously thought (prior to his crucifixion) Jesus was that Messiah, hence, the reason they carried swords.

And before you bring up Jesus reprimanding Peter's action in the Garden, obviously Jesus knew they had swords, so he was criticizing Peter for his action (and the deeper meaning of them not understanding his true purpose, even though he stated it plainly beforehand), not the fact he was carrying a sword in the first place.
    I acknowledged earlier that a gun can be used properly as a tool. My broader question, which you haven't addressed, relates to the culture that has grown around them in the United States. (I do think the interpretation that the only reason Jesus had them take swords was to provoke the crucifixion as the time had come is plausible, but for the sake of argument I'm granting that there was nothing inherently wrong with having swords in general.)

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X