Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dave's Divorce Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or if it takes the place of abandonment. It strikes me as legalistic to insist that a woman whose husband went out to buy cigarettes ten years ago and never returned stay legally married.

My understanding is that in Roman society, that would constitute a divorce in itself, which makes sense of Paul saying "no longer bound". I suspect a lot of the modern church debate is importing ideas that weren't intended in Scripture.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 01-12-2022, 05:09 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Or if it takes the place of abandonment. It strikes me as legalistic to insist that a woman whose husband went out to buy cigarettes ten years ago and never returned stay legally married.

My understanding is that in Roman society, that would constitute a divorce in itself, which makes sense of Paul saying "no longer bound". I suspect a lot of the modern church debate is importing ideas that weren't intended in Scripture.
      It's interesting that Jesus was actually squaring off with the Pharisees about their own rules and regs (really hammers down on them in Matt 23), and from that, we get a very legalistic interpretation of what Jesus was saying.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

But they all commit adultery when they remarry. What you are missing is fornication was a capital offense ending in death. Since this did not happen, all ended up committing adultery.
        They do? Don't you mean your God forces them to fornicate and commit adultery and remarry? Because they have no free will according to you and must do what God forces them to do.

Comment

There is no divorce allowance in the New Covenant. It is unforgiveness and a damnable sin. Your church seems to allow for Divorce and remarriage based on Matthew 19:9 which means they promote adultery. They all do in my area.
          Why do you care? They're just doing what your God requires them to do without their free will.

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

I've moved this derail to Bib Ethics. No further participation by non-theists are allowed from this point forward. Thanks

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In Matthew 19:9, the man who marries the woman divorced by an adulterous husband commits adultery. This means the woman does too. You cannot get around this. I only derail "Christians" and "Churches" that allow for divorce and remarriage based on the "except clause" of Matthew 19:9. Can you prove me wrong? Continue with your insults if you cannot.

Comment

“So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” Romans 7:3 (KJV 1900)

Comment

“And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.” Matthew 19:9 (KJV 1900)

Her husband committed adultery and she does too when the new husband marries her.

Comment

“So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” Romans 7:3 (KJV 1900)
                    What's with the giant font, Dave?

This reminds me of the preacher who put a note in the margin of his sermon manuscript -- "weak point - YELL LOUDER".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Worse - Dave accuses others of "supporting adultery" based on his own judgmental assumptions and conclusions.
                      He does NOT take Carter to task for outright SAYING things contrary to the Word of God.
                      “For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” Romans 7:2–3 (KJV 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar. And I would argue that abusing one's spouse is a form of infidelity.
                        “For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.” Romans 7:2–3 (KJV 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The OT "provision" was modified by Jesus. It stands as such.
                          Point out where Jesus modified Moses in Matthew 19:9.

Comment

Did anyone notice that the blame for the divorced woman's adultery falls on the man who divorced her?
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Has anyone considered the title of this thread? And the Derail LIE it promotes? I started the original thread and am now called a "derailer" because I post to it! How can I derail my own thread by contributing to it? Don't trust this bunch who sympathizes with heart-rending concerns as any Con-Man would.

Comment

Has anyone considered the title of this thread? And the Derail LIE it promotes? I started the original thread and am now called a "derailer" because I post to it! How can I derail my own thread by contributing to it? Don't trust this bunch who sympathizes with heart-rending concerns as any Con-Man would.
                                So, as I predicted, you're here to poke Christians in the eye, then get all flustered about it, and either get banned or kicked out so you can boast about what a horrible group we are, and you're the innocent victim.

You need professional help, Dave.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X